FT Duster - BUILD

seanudal

So Sad. :mad: I had my control rod on the Aileron HTX900 servo and noticed it now has a broken gear. I tested them before gluing them into the wing to make sure they were fine. The other side works, however they do not move that fast.

I had to cut the servo out and now have a hole where it used to be.

Are HTX900 9g servos worth using. I suppose I could glue another one back.

Sean

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
The FliteTest guys seem to like them a lot. Personally, I use the cheap HK15178. They have been working fine for me.

seanudal

Where can I find the control horns? I did not buy the kit as I built my plane from a plan.
The plans do not include the horns. The firewall dimensions are included with the plans, just not the horns.

I cut the faulty servo out and replaced it. It is glued in and should work. It does not look great.

Thanks
Sean

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I order my firewalls and control horns from FliteTest. The price and quality are great, and they come pre-drilled. Plus, it's a way to support what they are doing for the hobby. Some folks use popsicle sticks to make control horns, and some make them from gift cards. There are different ways to make them.

DDSFlyer

Anybody know which motor/ESC combo I should use for this prop? Parkzone 3 blade 9x7.5 I want to put this on my Duster build.

Also, I was wondering how to get a good spinner to go in front of this prop. I'm not sure how spinners work, I've only used collet adapters. Any advice on what parts to order?

DDSFlyer

The guy at the LHS said it was for the Corsair. Dunno if it was the original F4U or the newer F4U-1A which i have

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
looked it up by number -- looks like it's thrown by a really crappy plastic motor!

Looks like the stock motor it's intended to run on is a ~900kv motor which can draw around 250W. A quick search on HK popped up a half dozen options between 850 and 950kv with enough power in the "parkfly" motor listings, and there are likely other nice motors around the net . . .

Dunno about tri-bladed spinners. barely understand how the dual blade spinners attach :p

DDSFlyer

I totally forgot the fact that the 3 blades would make it even harder to find a spinner for. Only reason I ask about the motor ESC combo is that I need to find the collet adapter or whatever I need to get this prop on the motor will even fit the shaft size...
I may just see if I can get another collet adapter from the F4 and make sure I have a motor that would work with it. I have an NTM 28-26 1200kVon a plane I'm gonna decommission and might try and just use that with its big chrome cone but would like something more aesthetically pleasing for the build

DDSFlyer

Just rewatched the episode introducing the Duster and originally they had a 3 bladed prop and a large white spinner on it. Josh or Chad...tell us what prop and spinner they were!

seanudal

Hi,

Does anyone have any good ideas for the fake exhaust that comes out the front sides of the plane.
I am almost done, and still need to install my upgraded motor. I am busy with the D7 on the rudder and final covering.

I still need to add the Skull Logo and may add a small antenna as well.

Sean

image.jpg

paullyjay

Hi All,

I'm thinking of building a duster as a 3 channel trainer... has anyone tried this? does it work OK or not really?

Cheers

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Don't recall seeing anyone try it yet, but that doesn't mean anything.

Planning on Bank-and-Yank or RET?

DDSFlyer

Looking good seanudal...not sure what to make of the exhaust thing but I would think that chopping up some black pens might work... or you could go to a LHS and find some models with the right scale made of plastic

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
oh yeah, mister RC-I'm-made-of-money-SpaceFlight, what about the one or two servos you save?!? bet you like spending an extra $3.50 on each plane you build!!!

Ok, in all seriousness, you've got a point . . .

Paullyjay,

You can always build the full house plane and never use one of the channels until you're ready for it. just set the "marked for death" channel's dual rate to 0, flip the assigned switch and the servo will move no more.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hi All,

I'm thinking of building a duster as a 3 channel trainer... has anyone tried this? does it work OK or not really?

Cheers

Don't recall seeing anyone try it yet, but that doesn't mean anything.

Planning on Bank-and-Yank or RET?
Not a whole lot of dihedral on this one so you will probably have better luck making it bank and yank. Just delete the rudder servo and don't make any of the cuts for the rudder so your vertical stab is all one solid piece.