air tractor

Here's my ft duster with a air tractor themed paint job

Attachments

• 20150111_213134.jpg
    20150111_213134.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

Tcraftpo

Aileron servo placement

Hey guys! Has anyone placed the aileron servos on the outside of the wing? I'm getting ready to build the Duster and have some reservations on placing the servos inside the wing. I saw a few other posts where they had issues and needed to cut the servos out. I was thinking of a more traditional installation where you cut a hole just big enough to put the bottom of the servo in to the wing and glue the tabs to the out side. You could also lay the servo on its side and glue it to the out side of the wing. Any thoughts?

chaceb94

Good setup?

Went on HK and found these parts:
--http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10279__Turnigy_2200mAh_3S_40C_Lipo_Pack.html
--http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7520__2205C_1400Kv_Brushless_motor.html
--http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2161__TURNIGY_Plush_12amp_2A_BEC_BESC.html
--http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25458__Three_blade_7x3_5R_propellers_CW_Black_3pc_bag_.html
--http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__662__HXT900_9g_1_6kg_12sec_Micro_Servo.html

What do you guys think? Will I need a bigger prop to haul around such a big battery? I chose it because it's 3 blades like the movied, but if needed I'll switch to a 9x5 2 blade. I want it to be a powerful flyer while also using the 2200mah batteries since I can use those in my stryker as well. If it's too heavy though I'm willing to go to the other extreme and run a 2100kv motor with only 2s battery.

Kronblom

So, after having my duster build sitting around almost finished for almost 8 months I decided to finally solder on the 3.5 plugs on the ESC and add the landing gear. ;)
Now i just wonder if it will fly, and if it does how fast it might need to go to stay up. My 4-channel piloting skills are at beginner level, i think. Not sure how much cranking around a racer 250 quad with fpv has helped, but I guess I will find out soon enough. The AUW on the duster with a 1400mAh 3S is 612g (21.6oz). I am using the Emax GT 2215/09 1180kv motor with a 10x5 prop. I have not tested the setup with my wattmeter yet but I hope it will be enough to make this brick fly. Unfortunately here in europe i had to use kapa board for the build which is really heavy. Can't wait for the flitetest foam to be released. :)

tribe

Finished my first FT build - a Duster with Power Pack C and 2200 mah 3S. Dusty is VERY TWITCHY for a non-advanced pilot (that would be me). Even on low rates I put in very little stick movements during normal flying. At full throw, Dusty will do some very tight maneuvers and at full throttle flies fast and climbs vertical easily. I am getting 10.5 minutes of flight time.

My coat hanger landing gear is not cutting it. Bends during all landings and damages the bottom of the plane.

Thanks to all that contributed to designing this nice agile plane!

FliteTime

Getting close to finishing up my Duster but need help picking a prop for a NTM Prop Drive Series 28-30 1200kV would this motor be ok? What prop size should I use with it? Thanks

FliteTime

Hi, I'm finishing up a Duster and need help. Would a NTM 28-30 1200kV work ok? It weighs a little more than the recommended. Could someone recommend an appropriate prop?

Mark 42

I'm clueless...

Hi, I am building Dusty and made the mistake of buying the PowerPod electronics listed with the PowerPod Build. So bought a 24g 1300kv outrunner, with 1300 mA LiPo and 8x4E prop. I see on the flight test build they use a bigger Emax 70g outrunner. Will mine fly? Thanks Sean

I'm totally new to brushless motors... What's 24g vs. 70g mean?

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
That's weight of the motor, if you were to put it on a scale. Just realized how old the previous post is....oh well, maybe it will still help someone.

Last edited:

bisco

Elite member
i'm starting a duster. how do you make 50% cuts in the foam board? i've tried a number of techniques, but none are consistent.
thank you!

Fidget

i'm starting a duster. how do you make 50% cuts in the foam board? i've tried a number of techniques, but none are consistent.
thank you!
For the red lines on plans I cut partway with a knife (pretty shallow) and then drag on old gift card or plastic hotel key through it. That's more of a 90% cut. To score the inside folds for the airfoil I just cut the paper then drag the tip of a bbq skewer through it.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
one problem.... this plane is not scale... the canopy is far to square and high.... if you look at the real thing... it is different, very different
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, either way, this model is made to look like the cartoon character dusty from the movie planes, not the real air tractor. Lately I've been thinking about making a model of the real air tractor that'll use a 2204 motor although my champ is first priority. Anyways I hope I cleared things up!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, either way, this model is made to look like the cartoon character dusty from the movie planes, not the real air tractor. Lately I've been thinking about making a model of the real air tractor that'll use a 2204 motor although my champ is first priority. Anyways I hope I cleared things up!
yea i know it is make to look like dusty, but my personal opinion is that the real crop duster looks better... or maybe i am just not a fan of the movie

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
yea i know it is make to look like dusty, but my personal opinion is that the real crop duster looks better... or maybe i am just not a fan of the movie
I totally agree that the real one looks better but, if I remember right they came out with the duster when the movie was really popular and they had the other character to go with it. I'm also not a fan of the movie, or really any other fictional airplane related movie because Hollywood always gets the simple stuff wrong with airplanes. Although the show Baa Baa Black Sheep is a pretty good show that takes place in the pacific theater of WWII.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I totally agree that the real one looks better but, if I remember right they came out with the duster when the movie was really popular and they had the other character to go with it. I'm also not a fan of the movie, or really any other fictional airplane related movie because Hollywood always gets the simple stuff wrong with airplanes. Although the show Baa Baa Black Sheep is a pretty good show that takes place in the pacific theater of WWII.
yea that is a good movie... do you know where i can find the complete movie? i've only watched parts of it

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
yea that is a good movie... do you know where i can find the complete movie? i've only watched parts of it
If you're talking about the show about the black sheep squadron, I don't know where you would be able to find it. It's an old tv show that is sometimes on in my area. If you are able to get it, look at the zeros, if you look closely, they're not really zeros, they are at6 texens painted to look like zeros. You can tell by the shape of the wing and the gear.