FT Duster - BUILD

seanudal

I am looking at a few upgrade options.

1. Emax GT2215-09 1180KV with a Emax 25A ESC
2. Turnigy D2826/10 1400 KV with Turnigy 25A ESC

The HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv has lots of bad reviews so not really a good idea. This was used on the orginal build movie.

I am not sure what the best selection would be for outrunner and ESC for this plane.

Sean

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm happy with my NTM 28-26A motors -- had 4 of them on my V-tail quad and they've stood up well to my punishment. Yes they've had some bad reviews, but a lot of happy users too. on the whole they're a good bang for the buck.

Also happy with my Turnigy L2215J-900. Even with the modest 900KV, it will throw a 10x10 prop with ease on 3S, and will drag a duster around the sky beautifully.

seanudal

I am going to buy a 9x6 prop as well, so am looking for the best combination for this Duster.
I went to go buy 1mm control rods today, but had no luck on either the prop or piano wire.

They had 1.41mm and .81 mm It looks like I may be ordering online again. I can get the Turnigy or NTM from HobbyKing or the EMax when it comes back in stock from RCWorld in Australia.

seanudal

I love this dusty movie. Getting me inspired to finish this plane.
Emax Emax GT2215-09 1180KV 2.25 lbs thrust 1000g
10 x 4.7 prop

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I am using the Turnigy D2826/10 1400 KV on my Duster now, and I love it. It has incredible power, and should work well with the 8x4 props you already have (always check the current draw to be sure). The NTM prop drives are great motors too, but the Turnigy D2826/10 1400 KV is cheaper, and it comes with the mounting hardware. A word of caution though, I have found that the D2826/10 shafts bend easily. That's why I use the GWS style props. They will break before bending the shaft if the prop hits the ground when I'm landing. You can't go wrong with any of these motors. I own all three, but so far, I have only tried the D2826/10.

Last edited:

seanudal

I bought the HobbyKing 8x4E props which are connected at the moment with a prop saver on the 24g out-runner.

I also bought a RX3S OrangeRX Flight Stabilizer V2.1 for fun. I am not sure what this will do to Dusty.
Which ESC is best with the Turnigy D2826/10?

Sean

Jaxx

Any good 25A brushless ESC should work. When I first started, I used the wire from irrigation marking flags for my push rods. Now I use .047"(1.19mm) music wire (K&S 502). I also have some .032" (0.81mm) music wire (K&S 501) as well, but I have not tried it yet. I use the FT firewalls, and I don't double the thickness. I find them to be very durable. It takes a hard crash to break them. This is my Duster with the D2826/10 on it:http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?5512-FT-Duster-BUILD&p=78772&viewfull=1#post78772

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Which are the best options for control rods? Thanks Sean :)

If you use coffee straws to guide the control rods, you can get away with a thinner wire which is easier to work with. Lately I've been using MIG welding wire. It comes in spools so it can have a slight curve in it, but that doesn't matter if you use small straws to guide the wire. Without straws you need a thicker wire. Marking flags are cheap, but the wire is hard to work with. I like those better for landing gear than for control rods.

seanudal

Thank you. I have soldered all my electronics. Replaced the XT60 plug and added my connectors for the ESC.
I tested the motor and it has amazing thrust in your hand. May different in the plane. I still need to order the other parts but getting something finished just for fun. I may go buy the thinner rod piano wire and use the straws.

My Apprentice S 15e has 1mm rods. Anyway all part of the fun.

The HobbyKing orange tape is not great. The colour comes off very easily. Next time I will look for something else. It will do for now.
Thanks for all the help.

image.jpg

seanudal

It is interesting that the Hextronix 24g 1300 kv outrunner goes almost to full throttle with very little stick.
I presume this may be a setting on my DX6i. Plenty wind blowing behind the pod. My firewall was 1.5 mm so looks a bit thin. image.jpg

The ESC was a HobbyKing 18-20 Amp and the receiver is an Spektrum. AR400. I will most likely upgrade the receiver as well to add the Aux port. This will allow me to switch off the stabaliser with the gear switch on my DX6i.

I just need to fit the control horns and rods, set the throws and finish making it look like Dusty.

image.jpg

Sean

seanudal

Hi,

Could anyone help me with the CG position. I am not sure where to find the measurement from the front of the wing.
Thank you

Sean

Jaxx

Hold the plane upside-down and place your fingers under the spar that is inside the wing. That's about were your CG should be.

seanudal

I am now looking for Dusty's eyes. I am not artist, so will need to look around for ideas. :)
The colour is coming on nicely.

seanudal

Hi, has anyone had any problems with the Turnigy drive shaft bending, or do they all do this?
I see in a previous post this is a problem. Would the other motors be better?

Thanks Sean

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
They all do in a crash, if it's hard enough. Main thing to remember is to chop the throttle if you get into trouble and try to get the plane level before it hits the ground. Chopping the throttle will help to slow the plane down a bit in some cases so the crash is less catastrophic.

Ron B

@ Senudal
If you want google eyes check out walmart in the craft section.