FT EDGE 540 Mighty Mini

Mikevsnead

I took the FT Edge plans and shrank them down in size to have a wingspan of 609mm. I had the Mighty Mini P-51plans laying next to me for ideas and where I could afford to loose some weight. I only used 2 sheets of foam board from the dollar tree for the build and 3d printed a nose cone for it. Spray painted and then hand painted the details. Decided I would share, I built the full scale one as well but really love the size of this 609mm it flys smooth! I painted it to match Kirby Chambliss' Red Bull Zivko Edge 540.

Attachments

• IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3527.jpeg
    IMG_3527.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3534.jpeg
    IMG_3534.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3538.jpeg
    IMG_3538.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3541.jpeg
    IMG_3541.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3587.jpeg
    IMG_3587.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3680-1.jpeg
    IMG_3680-1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
  • IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3972.jpeg
    IMG_3972.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3974.jpeg
    IMG_3974.jpeg
  • IMG_3975.jpeg
    IMG_3975.jpeg
  • IMG_3976.jpeg
    IMG_3976.jpeg
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow that is gorgeous mate. Well done.

I am interested in how it flys though as usually smaller makes them more squirrelly and not too happy with slow speeds for the aerobatics. I know you said it did well though.

Do you plan on some video soon maybe?

Mikevsnead

Thank you for the nice words! I plan to get a flight video soon, its been raining on and off like crazy here for the past several days. I don't have any updated plans but I have some notes on the scaling that I used and the pieces that I modified that I could post.

Mikevsnead

Well done! you might have some issues with torque with that scale but your prop seems small enough not to make too much of a difference. GL with the maiden!
I actually had a successful maiden. After making a model I typically maiden it, then I start to paint it. That way I'm not waisting all of my time adding paint and details to something not worth flying haha.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Like they said, great build and Paint job.

SPECS, SPECS, SPECS, SPECS

looks like a Gremlin red bottom kit motor/ESC 3S 450mAh, with 5g servos. i have a number on their way and the gremlin red bottom pack without a home currently... :unsure:

Jackson T

Elite member
I actually had a successful maiden. After making a model I typically maiden it, then I start to paint it. That way I'm not waisting all of my time adding paint and details to something not worth flying haha.
I did that once with a 600mm FT 3D. I bought a whole can of spray paint for it, but it failed miserably! I think it was tail heavy. It did high alpha really well though!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I can't believe I missed this post. That is one awesome looking build. It's honestly hard to believe the finished product is made out of foamboard. That nose cone? It really finishes the plane. I don't know how difficult the 3d printing process was, but you could probably make some money selling those things in different sizes.

I too, look forward to some flight video. I bet that bird looks great in the air.

Mikevsnead

Like they said, great build and Paint job.

SPECS, SPECS, SPECS, SPECS

looks like a Gremlin red bottom kit motor/ESC 3S 450mAh, with 5g servos. i have a number on their way and the gremlin red bottom pack without a home currently... :unsure:
It's running the Emax RS2205 Red Bottom motor with a 30amp ESC, 450mAh, and 5g servos.

Mikevsnead

I can't believe I missed this post. That is one awesome looking build. It's honestly hard to believe the finished product is made out of foamboard. That nose cone? It really finishes the plane. I don't know how difficult the 3d printing process was, but you could probably make some money selling those things in different sizes.

I too, look forward to some flight video. I bet that bird looks great in the air.
Thanks man! actually I found the STL 3d print file on Thingiverse, I just modified it and rescaled it some! I took under an hour to print out.