FT Edge 540 - Polymycrophobia edition

JTarmstr

Elite member
It would be tough. Here is a standard (original) sized power pod modeled into the fuselage - it clashes with the wing. You would need to cut the length of the pod to around 3.5 inches to fit forward of the wing.

View attachment 112925

DamoRC

do you remember the FT Scout? I think they minimized the power pod just for that and made some plans.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
do you remember the FT Scout? I think they minimized the power pod just for that and made some plans.

Just had a look at that - yep, its pretty short. I like the pod shown by @jpot1 because it would give you a way to hook the pod onto a stage or platform. The problem remaining would then be how to hold the pod to such a platform and how to get the battery in because it will need to go in approximately the same position as the pod to balance the plane.

DamoRC

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Oops! - Discovered an error in the plans on the motor mount - it has been corrected.

DamoRC

JTarmstr

Elite member
Just had a look at that - yep, its pretty short. I like the pod shown by @jpot1 because it would give you a way to hook the pod onto a stage or platform. The problem remaining would then be how to hold the pod to such a platform and how to get the battery in because it will need to go in approximately the same position as the pod to balance the plane.

DamoRC

maybe put the battery below the power pod? I am just trying to find an excuse to build this without having to get a ton of electronics for it ;)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
maybe put the battery below the power pod? I am just trying to find an excuse to build this without having to get a ton of electronics for it ;)

Totally understand. Have been thinking about this but can't come up with a clean solution.

On one hand, you could make a receptacle for a shortened power pod that hangs from the roof of the fuse. Then the battery could go underneath but you would still need to cut a hatch to install the battery because you won't get both through the opening in the nose. On the other hand you could build a platform that sits on the floor of the fuse but you would still need a hatch to get the battery in. In both cases there is still the matter of securing the pod (I don't thing BBQ skewers are going to cut it).

The best option, I think, is to just swap your electronics from the pod to the Edge. What motor / ESC do you have currently on your pod?

DamoRC

JTarmstr

Elite member
Totally understand. Have been thinking about this but can't come up with a clean solution.

On one hand, you could make a receptacle for a shortened power pod that hangs from the roof of the fuse. Then the battery could go underneath but you would still need to cut a hatch to install the battery because you won't get both through the opening in the nose. On the other hand you could build a platform that sits on the floor of the fuse but you would still need a hatch to get the battery in. In both cases there is still the matter of securing the pod (I don't thing BBQ skewers are going to cut it).

The best option, I think, is to just swap your electronics from the pod to the Edge. What motor / ESC do you have currently on your pod?

DamoRC

I have a EMAX Grand turbo 1100 kv motor and a BL heli 30 A ESC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have a EMAX Grand turbo 1100 kv motor and a BL heli 30 A ESC

Thanks for the info. If you use the cross mount to mount to the pod then its simply a matter of unscrewing it from the pod and screwing it into the motor mount in the Edge.

DamoRC

JTarmstr

Elite member
Thanks for the info. If you use the cross mount to mount to the pod then its simply a matter of unscrewing it from the pod and screwing it into the motor mount in the Edge.

DamoRC

Yeah, I might build one this winter, its just so beautiful I have to get one :), first I should probably get the gear together for my spaceplane though.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yeah, I might build one this winter, its just so beautiful I have to get one :), first I should probably get the gear together for my spaceplane though.

Cool - yes - based on my limited experience this weekend it is definitely worth building.

DamoRC

thrttlup

Huge thanks for the plans! I have built some of the Edges already and it seems I have to build a few more ;). Speeding up this process is what I need :).

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Huge thanks for the plans! I have built some of the Edges already and it seems I have to build a few more ;). Speeding up this process is what I need :).

You're welcome! Just be aware of a few things. First, mine has been flying great and I really enjoy it, but I am not a 3D pilot and so I cannot comment on how the lack of infrastructure inside the plane affects it's rigidity and it's performance as a 3D model. The second thing is that I simply velcro my battery to the floor and again, I can't comment on how the difference in position (i.e. not behind the motor as it is in the original plans) might affect its 3D performance.

Right now I am using it to re-learn some basic aerobatics and control so that ultimately I can move into the 3D space.

If you are planning on building multiples, then make sure to keep your frames (and possibly reinforce them) as these can be used again for each build.

Good Luck!

DamoRC

JTarmstr

Elite member
So after a bad launch I plowed my Ft Mustang into the ground ripping the nose apart, and now I have a spare "C" pack lying arround. I think I will build this one since it supposedly has favorable flight characteristics. @DamoRC , I am assuming that you just build the edge 540 wing and stabilizers and add this simplified fuselage?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
So after a bad launch I plowed my Ft Mustang into the ground ripping the nose apart, and now I have a spare "C" pack lying arround. I think I will build this one since it supposedly has favorable flight characteristics. @DamoRC , I am assuming that you just build the edge 540 wing and stabilizers and add this simplified fuselage?

Yep. Wing and tail feathers are per the official plans. Let me know how it goes if you decide to go ahead and feel free to ask any questions. My plans are not up to the same standard as SP0NZ.

DamoRC

JTarmstr

Elite member
Yep. Wing and tail feathers are per the official plans. Let me know how it goes if you decide to go ahead and feel free to ask any questions. My plans are not up to the same standard as SP0NZ.

DamoRC

Ok thanks, I dont know when i will get arround to this, I looked at the plans though and they made sense.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Thanks DamoRC. Looks great!!

Not sure if I like you or dislike you. Now I have to add this to my winter build list!! :rolleyes: I better go buy another box of foam board! :LOL:

Thanks for the DXF file. Makes it real easy to set up to print.