FT Edge

FT Edge 1.0

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
flitetest submitted a new resource:

FT Edge - FT Edge Free Plans

Description:
The Flite Test Edge is based on the Zivko Edge 540 V3, which is a great aerobatic plane and also a very popular choice for pilots competing in the Red Bull Air Races. The FT Edge captures the crips lines of the real Edge while offering a wide flight envelope capable of doing anything from smooth pattern flying to extreme aerobatic maneuvers. Appealing to both sport fliers and 3D...

Read more about this resource...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am building this from printed plans. This does take a bit more effort to accurately trace, mark, and cut the most of the other builds I have done.

Just be aware even the width of the pen you use makes a differency in accuracy when scratch building this one.

Its very fun and busy build just plan to take more time then normal builds. This is not a two day build as it is extremely well designed and structurally sound.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Click on the first link - the one that says "FT Edge - FT Edge Free Plans"

This will open the resource page - then click on the "Download" button that appears in the upper right.

DamoRC

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hi
Could I attempt to make it out of light cardboard and which power pack does it use
Thanks
I think you could make it out of cardboard but foamboard or depron would be better choice. I would not recommend the Edge as your first build. The Edge is an advanced plane, tougher to build and fly. You would be better off to start with a trainer plane. The Storch or Bushwhacker would be a better choice to start with.

The Engineer

I'm completing my scratch build of this model now. It is certainly well designed but accuracy is critical for success. Can anyone who has flown this suggest suitable rates and expo setting to tame this down in early flights?

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Got my FT Edge. What do ya think?

Attachments

• 20190322_143903.jpg
    20190322_143903.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I'm completing my scratch build of this model now. It is certainly well designed but accuracy is critical for success. Can anyone who has flown this suggest suitable rates and expo setting to tame this down in early flights?

That's a great question. I have not flown this airframe... yet. The Red bull will ride again. However, I have flown the FT3D and similar airframes. If you are not an experienced flier I would not suggest starting with this. This has very large control surfaces and is very responsive.

If you are set on this as your very first flying experience, try to have a buddy "buddy box" with. Fly in a LARGE field, keep the thrust low. These are very nimble and responsive at slow speeds. You can also limit the control rods by setting them to the last hole to the flight surface and again closest hole to the servo. The further away on the servo, the longer the arm is and the more it moves. The closer the hole on the flight surface, the more it moves. You can fly with 40-60 expo too.

That should give you a good start.

Big Joe

Having some difficulty. After downloading the Tile B file, and opening in Adobe the sizing is incorrect.(see attachment) Pages 1-4 are fine but when you get to 5, which is the actual templates they all show a document size of 15.0 x 10.5in and causes them to print incorrectly. I've followed all of the parameters as set by the print assistance article but to no avail. Please advise as I'm excited to get this going. For the record the Tile A file printed fine.
Capture.PNG

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Having some difficulty. After downloading the Tile B file, and opening in Adobe the sizing is incorrect.(see attachment) Pages 1-4 are fine but when you get to 5, which is the actual templates they all show a document size of 15.0 x 10.5in and causes them to print incorrectly. I've followed all of the parameters as set by the print assistance article but to no avail. Please advise as I'm excited to get this going. For the record the Tile A file printed fine. View attachment 127622
Did you download the tiled-B plans? Go back and re-download and make sure you download the T-A plans. (Attached is a photo of what you need download, the circled in black is what you need, the circled and crossed out in red is what I assume you tried using). Hopefully this helps and gets you building and flying it, this is such a fun plane to fly :)

Attachments

• 3181C162-0CC5-4268-99C4-631A9A98A7B9.jpeg
    3181C162-0CC5-4268-99C4-631A9A98A7B9.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 0

Big Joe

Thank you so much. I feel like a moron. Just thought I needed both A and B to complete.
Thank you again for your help.

Martas_Lacina

Hi guys. I started to watch your forum not so long i think 2 years ago but when i saw the build plans for the EDGE 540 i had to try to build it. Huge thank you for these plans. I admire your effort a lot.
During the building i changed a bit the fixation of the canopy and reinforced the fixation of the wings because it looks from my point of view a bit weak. Below are several pictures of "my" construction. :)
I haven't flown it yet because of a bit fear of the possible crash and not so much friendly weather but i hope my maiden start will be succesfull.
Only one questin i have. What is the recommended deflection angle of the ailerons, rudder and elevator for not so much advanced pilot like me. The deflection in the building video looks to my skill a lot. Thank you for your tips.

Attachments

• 20190512_112211.jpg
    20190512_112211.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_112251.jpg
    20190512_112251.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_112408.jpg
    20190512_112408.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_112837.jpg
    20190512_112837.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_112932.jpg
    20190512_112932.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_112939.jpg
    20190512_112939.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_112948.jpg
    20190512_112948.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_113225.jpg
    20190512_113225.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190512_115234.jpg
    20190512_115234.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Hi guys. I started to watch your forum not so long i think 2 years ago but when i saw the build plans for the EDGE 540 i had to try to build it. Huge thank you for these plans. I admire your effort a lot.
During the building i changed a bit the fixation of the canopy and reinforced the fixation of the wings because it looks from my point of view a bit weak. Below are several pictures of "my" construction. :)
I haven't flown it yet because of a bit fear of the possible crash and not so much friendly weather but i hope my maiden start will be succesfull.
Only one questin i have. What is the recommended deflection angle of the ailerons, rudder and elevator for not so much advanced pilot like me. The deflection in the building video looks to my skill a lot. Thank you for your tips.

Lovely build. For throws, I set mine up for about 16 degrees per direction at full rates and then maidened at 50% rates (approx 8 degrees). Did this for all control surfaces. She was agile but not skittish at these settings.