FT Edge

FT Edge 1.0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi guys! I've built a few of your previous models (from scratch) - and I purchased the build kit for this one.
Everything went well all the way thru to the formers on top of the tail but when I tried to bend the turtle deck, it really didn't turn out very nice. Is there any way to "unglue" after the glue has cooled off? I am going to proceed with building the wing and hopefully someone has any tips.

Thanks, everyone!
The edge is a great build! The easiest way to “unglue” the hot glue is to use an iron and press it against the seams you want to release. You may want to use a sheet of wax paper between the iron and plane to avoid getting glue on the iron.

The edge is a great build! The easiest way to “unglue” the hot glue is to use an iron and press it against the seams you want to release. You may want to use a sheet of wax paper between the iron and plane to avoid getting glue on the iron.

I know! I love this.. I've been away from RC since about '95 (uh oh.. age showing) before that I flew all sorts of things while I lived in Sweden (where I was born and raised). Back then I'd launch gliders with rubber hoses and fishing line with a parachute OR use nitro fuel on models. One of my favorite builds was the "delta" aka triangle with elevon controls.. I could throw one of those together with building foam, packaging paper (wrapping), white glue, some electrical conduits made of thin wall PVC and some balsa to build the "box" where servo's and radio/battery and fuel tank would be. Building these "foamies" are so enjoyable!

I came up with ALMOST the same solution - but I ended up using tin foil instead of wax paper. Wax paper seems like a better idea as it is see thru :) Thank you so much! :)

OliverW

Legendary member
I think the easiest way is to use rubbing alcohol. It loosens the glue

JClaude

I guys, personnaly, I use Methylated spirits. I put it only where it's needed, with a pipette or syringe. Let dry well before attempting to re-glue otherwise.

Flyingbrick

I am not able to get the top hatch to sit flat on the fuselage surface even though I have gotten all the cuts right, the doublers seem to interfere while attaching the top piece to the fuselage. I also had to repeat the top piece twice as it wouldn't match with the fuselage. Also I don't see the cut out for the landing gear in the tile A plans. I would not recommend building this plane.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I also use a hot iron to loosen a glue joint, works great. I don't bother with wax paper, just use an iron. When you are done, just use a paper towel to wipe any glue off the iron while it still hot.

I would recommend going to the local thrift store or yard sale and get your own iron. Don't use your wife's iron.

A hair dryer also works well.

dap35

Elite member
I also use a hot iron to loosen a glue joint, works great. I don't bother with wax paper, just use an iron. When you are done, just use a paper towel to wipe any glue off the iron while it still hot.

I would recommend going to the local thrift store or yard sale and get your own iron. Don't use your wife's iron.

A hair dryer also works well.
I found a $10 iron with teflon coating at Walmart. Works great. I use it to iron my edges.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I found a $10 iron with teflon coating at Walmart. Works great. I use it to iron my edges.
Im using a old covering iron. Now that I'm hooked on FT, working with hot glue is the only thing it is used for. Works great for smoothing out a glue joint or a glue hinge.

mcmoyer

Trying to talk myself out of buying a HH Extra 300, and by that, I'm trying to come up with an argument to convince myself that I could do it for a lot less with an FT Edge. I'm planning on some 17g MG servers ($40 total), an AR631 ($85), I already have a 50amp ESC laying around and I've got the motor from my now dead Tundra, a 3636 900kv. So, all in, it would be $125..maybe $150 for incidentals.

This would be my 6th foamboard plane. I've done the MS Spitfire, 13th Squadron's Zero, Simple Stick, and then two builds of the LS FT F-16, one full size, one 90%. So far, I really enjoy building these, but when I compare flight performance to similar foamies, there's a gap. That leads me to a couple of questions.

1) would the Tundra motor be a good motor for this plane
2) how does this perform compared to foamie versions of this plane like Arrows Edge, HobbyKing Wargo edition, or HH extra 300
3) after watching a review video and seeing how much carbon fiber bracing is in the foamies, is this wing strong enough?

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Trying to talk myself out of buying a HH Extra 300, and by that, I'm trying to come up with an argument to convince myself that I could do it for a lot less with an FT Edge. I'm planning on some 17g MG servers ($40 total), an AR631 ($85), I already have a 50amp ESC laying around and I've got the motor from my now dead Tundra, a 3636 900kv. So, all in, it would be $125..maybe $150 for incidentals.

This would be my 6th foamboard plane. I've done the MS Spitfire, 13th Squadron's Zero, Simple Stick, and then two builds of the LS FT F-16, one full size, one 90%. So far, I really enjoy building these, but when I compare flight performance to similar foamies, there's a gap. That leads me to a couple of questions.

1) would the Tundra motor be a good motor for this plane
2) how does this perform compared to foamie versions of this plane like Arrows Edge, HobbyKing Wargo edition, or HH extra 300
3) after watching a review video and seeing how much carbon fiber bracing is in the foamies, is this wing strong enough?
1) it should work if it fits on the swappable firewall
2) I have not built this plane but spec wise it is more comparable to the Wargo edge, the wargo edge is in the same weight and wingspan range. wargo edge and ft edge look to fly similar tho (I’m no expert)
3) my hypothesis is that if you feel unsure about the wing putting a carbon fiver arrow shaft would do the job well; Although it will add a few grams i Think the box spar will be fine. I forgot what ft video it was but someone made a boxspar out of wood for the Corsair and it handled 30 pounds of weight.