Help! FT Explorer Carbon Fiber Wing Reinforcment

Om0r A.

Hello everyone! I was wondering how people are applying carbon fiber rods to their FT Explorer wings. I am basically asking for some sort of a step-by-step, video, article, or template of some sort. If you used a different way to reinforce the wings, what did you use and how did you apply it? Thank You!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you are willing to eliminate the dihedral, I’d recommend something similar to the Armin wing. As you build the wing half, just make a place for the arrow shaft to go. When you have both halves build, join as usual.

Om0r A.

If you are willing to eliminate the dihedral, I’d recommend something similar to the Armin wing. As you build the wing half, just make a place for the arrow shaft to go. When you have both halves build, join the as usual.
How do I adjust the Armin Wing to fit the Explorer? Also, how would I make a place for the arrow shaft to go? Would I just cut out a section from the spar?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
How do I adjust the Armin Wing to fit the Explorer? Also, how would I make a place for the arrow shaft to go? Would I just cut out a section from the spar?
I would eliminate the stock spar from Explorer and replace with the Armin spar

Om0r A.

I would eliminate the stock spar from Explorer and replace with the Armin spar
Is there a template of some sort for the spar, or will I just have to follow the Armin wing video? Also, how many Armin spars would I need for the Explorer wing and do I need to scale them differently at all?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Is there a template of some sort for the spar, or will I just have to follow the Armin wing video? Also, how many Armin spars would I need for the Explorer wing and do I need to scale them differently at all?
No, there is no template, just watch the videos. Try to make the Armin spar about the same height as the stock spar. Ed uses 1 inch wide spars, nothing critical about that measurement. Make them narrower if needed, the strength comes from the arrow shaft.The only thing the foam “spar” is doing in the Armin wing is forming a pocket for the arrow shaft to go and not slide around.

Om0r A.

No, there is no template, just watch the videos. Try to make the Armin spar about the same height as the stock spar. Ed uses 1 inch wide spars, nothing critical about that measurement. Make them narrower if needed, the strength comes from the arrow shaft.The only thing the foam “spar” is doing in the Armin wing is forming a pocket for the arrow shaft to go and not slide around.
Should I adjust for the 5” or 7” airfoil?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Should I adjust for the 5” or 7” airfoil?
Not sure I understand your question. I’d make the Explorer wing, just make a pocket to accept the arrow shaft. Try to keep the thickness of the wing as close to stock as you can.

If you would prefer an Armin wing, go head, they’re an excellent wing. I’d pick the size close to the stock wing.

Foam board is a wonderful material to work with, very forgiving. Flite Test planes are easy to modify to suit you needs. I wouldn’t double the size of the wing but +/- 10% will work just fine.

I’ve modified the wing of a FT3D, making the wing a bit bigger each time. My current wing is about 25% larger than stock, it’s now one of my favorite planes.

Let me know if I answer your question.

Om0r A.

Not sure I understand your question. I’d make the Explorer wing, just make a pocket to accept the arrow shaft. Try to keep the thickness of the wing as close to stock as you can.

If you would prefer an Armin wing, go head, they’re an excellent wing. I’d pick the size close to the stock wing.

Foam board is a wonderful material to work with, very forgiving. Flite Test planes are easy to modify to suit you needs. I wouldn’t double the size of the wing but +/- 10% will work just fine.

I’ve modified the wing of a FT3D, making the wing a bit bigger each time. My current wing is about 25% larger than stock, it’s now one of my favorite planes.

Let me know if I answer your question.
Sorry. My understanding is that I should just cut out a pocket in the stock Explorer spars and insert the shaft. Is this correct?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sorry. My understanding is that I should just cut out a pocket in the stock Explorer spars and insert the shaft. Is this correct?
I did not think the stock spars on the Explorer were large enough to accept the arrow shaft. If they are large enough, great go for it.

Om0r A.

I did not think the stock spars on the Explorer were large enough to accept the arrow shaft. If they are large enough, great go for it.
I am building a “prototype” Explorer and have a broken Carbon Fiber arrow. If you wish, I can send you a picture of both side-by-side. The “prototype” is so that I can get the feel for building before I go all in as well as serving the purpose of having extra replacement parts for the final.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I am building a “prototype” Explorer and have a broken Carbon Fiber arrow. If you wish, I can send you a picture of both side-by-side. The “prototype” is so that I can get the feel for building before I go all in as well as serving the purpose of having extra replacement parts for the final.
Just as long as the arrow has a pocket to fit into. A picture would be helpful

Om0r A.

Just as long as the arrow has a pocket to fit into. A picture would be helpful
Keep in mind that the spar has not been folded and glued yet.This means you can ignore the other half of the first picture. Regarding the others, I placed a second spar to simulate the height of a complete spar. The X-acto blade is just a weight. In the last picture, I marked a rough estimate of the height of the arrow. Also, should the carbon fiber rod go throughout the whole wing or just the center? What length of rod do I need?

Attachments

• BE7F4F21-F0A9-4510-A22F-2248838ACFF5.jpeg
    BE7F4F21-F0A9-4510-A22F-2248838ACFF5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • BE6EA31D-4DD4-4AB4-884D-C34AA1B02F8A.jpeg
    BE6EA31D-4DD4-4AB4-884D-C34AA1B02F8A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 0DA7C109-7652-49E7-A97D-D17EDB911664.jpeg
    0DA7C109-7652-49E7-A97D-D17EDB911664.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • ABE9CDCB-DE92-4C26-AC27-43CA14768BB2.jpeg
    ABE9CDCB-DE92-4C26-AC27-43CA14768BB2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Keep in mind that the spar has not been folded and glued yet.This means you can ignore the other half of the first picture. Regarding the others, I placed a second spar to simulate the height of a complete spar. The X-acto blade is just a weight. In the last picture, I marked a rough estimate of the height of the arrow. Also, should the carbon fiber rod go throughout the whole wing or just the center? What length of rod do I need?
Looks good, that should work. I think I see where you are going. Send a picture of what the spar & arrow looks like when it’s assembled, both from the side and an from end. I agree with @Grifflyer 24-25 inches should be fine. That would give you 12 inches on each side, more than enough.

whackflyer

Master member
This isn't exactly on topic, but does anyone know which pages of the tiled plans I can omit so I can leave out the trainer wing? Any input appreciated...