FT Explorer constant crashes

tiber

Hi folks new pilot. I built the FT Explorer and quickly learned about the engine alignment thing but I'm still having a heck of a time getting it into the air. After fixing the motor so it's correctly aligned with the path of the thrust being parallel to the body, I had about one good half assed flight which ended in a tree and then couldn't get it in the air again. I've been suggested to ask here for flight tips and suggestions about what else might be good to build to fly with the larger powerpack. Tips? Tricks?

Crazy Goats

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the tree-ing. So how come you can't get it in the air again? Maybe we can solve that problem. Not enough power? Or is the airframe ruined?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Tips: Research "P" factor and thrust alignment. Use a flight sim to learn a little about how they fly. Repair the Explorer or build/buy a trainer design. Keep control deflections to those recommended or a little less, (too much deflection makes the aircraft almost uncontrollable for a beginner).

Always be gentle with the sticks on the transmitter in a car you do not turn into a gradual curve with full lock so avoid doing the same with your plane maneuvers. Know the range of your radio system and NEVER exceed it. Always use a battery voltage alarm.

Always check the control function and the direction of control surface deflections prior to take off, some transmitters have been know to reverse a control for reasons unknown when first powered up.

When flying stand with the trees behind you and never allow the plane to get behind you. Fly high and use the throttle to keep speed reasonable, (too fast or too slow can make control difficult to impossible and too low gives you no ability to avoid a sudden crash or a tree that just appears in front of your plane). Fly PROACTIVE and NOT REACTIVE! This means plan where you want it to go and use the controls to make it go there. Too many beginners watch the plane fly without any idea where they want it to go or what to do next.

Finally ask for help and sift the answers etc you receive for relevancy and implement whatever measures seem appropriate.

This is just a basic list of the things I tell my new students prior to their first flight and expect them to follow each flight until they are competent enough to ignore everything I say:rolleyes:

ONE LAST AND VERY IMPORTANT RULE:- NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just another quick thought, add wheels! See pic below Misc 20161016-1_edited-1.jpg

sanmatisse

Because the motor is mounted a distance away from the center of mass it should be angled the way it is on the design.
The aircraft will want to rotate around that center when the thrust is applied. Having the angle helps prevent the rotation.