Help! FT Explorer Wing Reinforcement and Receivers

Om0r A.

My first question is: what are the different materials all of you use to reinforce your FT Explorer wings and can you provide instructions on how you put it together? I am not a very experienced builder, so I would not be able to put it together by myself without some instruction.
My second question is: what are the most reliable receivers you guys have used and appreciated that are under $20? (Spektrum D6e)
Thank You!

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I would use a metal ruler. You can bend it to the correct dihedral angle. And as far as receivers go we need to know what your transmitter is first.

Om0r A.

My first question is: what are the different materials all of you use to reinforce your FT Explorer wings and can you provide instructions for them? I am not a very experienced builder, so I would not be able to put it together by myself without some instruction.
My second question is: what are the most reliable receivers you guys have used and appreciated that are under $20?
Thank You!
I would use a metal ruler. You can bend it to the correct dihedral angle. And as far as receivers go we need to know what your transmitter is first.
Sorry about that. I have a Spektrum D6E.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Hmmmm....spectrum isn't know for making rxs under 20$ so you might have to raise your budget a smidge. And yes you would just lay the ruler down above the original spar.

Om0r A.

Hmmmm....spectrum isn't know for making rxs under 20$ so you might have to raise your budget a smidge. And yes you would just lay the ruler down above the original spar.
Do you have any experience with Lemon/Orange RX receivers? Would it be possible for you to link the ruler you used?

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I am not a spectrum guy, I use Flysky. A lot of people have review hobby-king receivers and they are a hot topic on RCgroups so if you need information on a specific one you find I would look their.

Gazoo

Rx:
I bought some cheap LemonRx receivers directly from their website a year or so ago. I have had no issues with them at all. They only support DSM2 but my radio (DX6i) is compatable with DSM2. I waited until I got a good deal on them. Five for $25. They are a bit more right now.
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=93

I had to wait for like a month for them to arrive from China or wherever they come from.

Otherwise, I have been using this one which works great:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up-RD410-24GHz-DSM2DSMX-Compatible-4-Channel-Receiver_p_1070.html

Wing Spar:
I folded the wing on my Explorer as well. I re-glued it and straightened it out. Instead of rebuilding the wing, I just shoved one of those free wooden yardsticks through the end of the wing. Everyone gives them away at the home and craft shows. Never turn down a free yardstick.
It was enough to strengthen the wing but flexible enough to follow the dihedral of the wing. You can cut them up and use where paint sticks are needed too. I don't think that it added too much weight. I did not glue it in or anything.

As I walk through life, my eyes are trained to view everything I see as a potential airplane part.:)

d8veh

Elite member
What about a couple of wing braces, like you have on some planes. There are lots of ways you could do it:

Stick a couple of angled cocktail sticks through the wings just inboard of the second dihedral position, then wrap some non-stretch thread or fishing line around one, run it under the fuselage to the corresponding one on the other wing. Make it tight, then fix with glue.

Two barbecue skerwers under each wing, like they brace the tail on the Sportster. You'd need to make sure that they'rewell-glued maybe epoxy.

This is what you're aiming at. They don't need to come together unser the fuselage:
o4YBAFt7inWAJXv8AALGK8QwWnw001.png

BS projects inc.

Elite member
What about a couple of wing braces, like you have on some planes. There are lots of ways you could do it:

Stick a couple of angled cocktail sticks through the wings just inboard of the second dihedral position, then wrap some non-stretch thread or fishing line around one, run it under the fuselage to the corresponding one on the other wing. Make it tight, then fix with glue.

Two barbecue skerwers under each wing, like they brace the tail on the Sportster. You'd need to make sure that they'rewell-glued maybe epoxy.

This is what you're aiming at. They don't need to come together unser the fuselage:
o4YBAFt7inWAJXv8AALGK8QwWnw001.png
I like the idea but the large wingspan of the plane will give the wing mechanical advantage over the struts. That's why you see them on planes where they can extend farther out on the wing like the one you showed.