FT Explorer with Titan 3500mAh 4S Battery

Florida_Pilot16

Hello All,
I just finish building my new FT Explorer, and I am planning to fly it next weekend.
My FT Explorer has a Power Pack C witch includes:

(1) Motor - Emaxx GT2215/09
(1) ESC - BL Heli 30 amp ESC
(6) Servos - 9 Gram Emaxx servo

I would like to know if I can fly this plane with a Titan 3500 Mah 4s Battery, I don't know if already someone has done it and I would like to hear how was your experience.

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks is advance for your help.

quorneng

Master member
The Emax GT2215/09 is rated for a 3s battery.
On a 4s you would have to make sure you used a sufficiently small prop not to over load it.
A watt meter would be a vital piece of kit for this sort of experiemnt

mjmccarron

A 3500 4S will add a lot of weight to the Explorer. Watch your CG. 2nd on the Watt meter. You're going to want to know whats going on before the magical smoke comes out.

Mike

Florida_Pilot16

The Emax GT2215/09 is rated for a 3s battery.
On a 4s you would have to make sure you used a sufficiently small prop not to over load it.
A watt meter would be a vital piece of kit for this sort of experiemnt

Thank so much for your quick answer, the Prop I am using is a APC 9x6,

quorneng

Master member
The Emax GT2215/09 takes 24 A with a 10x4.7 on 3s.
Its maximum current (for less than 60s) is 26A
I suspect a 9x6 on a 4s will significantly exceed this limit and thus put the 30A ESC at risk as well.
Only a watt meter between the battery and the ESC will show you when to stop opening the throttle before you fry something.

Florida_Pilot16

The Emax GT2215/09 takes 24 A with a 10x4.7 on 3s.
Its maximum current (for less than 60s) is 26A
I suspect a 9x6 on a 4s will significantly exceed this limit and thus put the 30A ESC at risk as well.
Only a watt meter between the battery and the ESC will show you when to stop opening the throttle before you fry something.

Thank so much for all the information provided, I will definitely take in consideration your advise.
Something that I would like to learn is how to calculate what kind of motor, propeller, esc, and battery I have to use for my future projects,
I don't know if you know where I can get more information about it.

Really appreciated your advise.

Thanks for all your help.

NuttyGeezer

Hello All,
I just finish building my new FT Explorer, and I am planning to fly it next weekend.
My FT Explorer has a Power Pack C witch includes:

(1) Motor - Emaxx GT2215/09
(1) ESC - BL Heli 30 amp ESC
(6) Servos - 9 Gram Emaxx servo

I would like to know if I can fly this plane with a Titan 3500 Mah 4s Battery, I don't know if already someone has done it and I would like to hear how was your experience.

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks is advance for your help.

I dont own these motors, but they seem quite similar to the emax MT2213 935KV motors, which are rated for 10x4.5 at 3S and 8x4.5 at 4S, so I would go with that if you want to try it. If you do try it, fly for about a minute and then land and check the motor temperature. If it is significantly hotter than it is at 3S then you should stop, otherwise try it for 2 minutes and check again, and so on until you are confident that you aren't overheating the motor