FT Explorer with twin boom

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Had a rough day of flying yesterday lol. Like @Headbang i tried to take advantage of the nice weather a couple times, and once in the wind mid afternoon. 3 planes down. Makes room to build more i guess.

Headbang is cutting out my Viggen on the MBCNC for me so not sure when ill get to it. It will be a pusher prop version i am thinkin
Cool! I’m going to post a message on the viggen group build thread about cutting techniques since I’m kinda dreading hand cutting all of those parts out by hand😂

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Cool! I’m going to post a message on the viggen group build thread about cutting techniques since I’m kinda dreading hand cutting all of those parts out by hand😂
I find ot just time consuming but you have the versatility to make any changes on the fly if you so choose.

alan0043

Do you have a pic?

Here is a pic of my tiny trainer. The maiden flight went great. Josh is one heck of an instructor ! Last night was my first time flying. There was a nice group of good people at the air park last night.

Attachments

• Tiny Trainer 1.jpg
    Tiny Trainer 1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here is a pic of my tiny trainer. The maiden flight went great. Josh is one heck of an instructor ! Last night was my first time flying. There was a nice group of good people at the air park last night.
The TT looks great. I like the obligatory FT gremlin. (y):cool:(y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yay - glad it went well! Your tt looks great!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Did you do that? It looks cool!
Yea it was something I was looking to do the day before this thread came up. I was inspired by the Sea Duck last Saturday when I met up with Headbang at his airfield. then he gave me the Explorer and It just seemed to be a natural transition. Now I didn't want to mess with the Explorer until it had a few crashes under its belt and was unfixable but that happened sooner then I thought lol. I'll post some video on my Explorer thread. This Bronco/Explorer mash up happened a little sooner then expected. It does look cool though huh?

Headbang

Master member
Haha remember I have nothing but time on my hands and I usually work on one plane at a time... not 3 or 4 Sea Ducks and a Viggen lol
Good point. Tho I work on a few at once for efficiency. I can build at work and still be available to those who need me. Then come home and work on a different project. Issue is I am never in much of a hurry. Never without something to fly!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Good point. Tho I work on a few at once for efficiency. I can build at work and still be available to those who need me. Then come home and work on a different project. Issue is I am never in much of a hurry. Never without something to fly!
Took my Scout out today for its's official maiden, got some video of that too. Executed some inverted as well. Was kinda windy again though, wasn't a flawless flight but I got the itch so it had to be done.

When I need a trailer to haul my plane collection then we can compare Bro. I'm jealous already you don't need to rub it in lol

Headbang

Master member
Took my Scout out today for its's official maiden, got some video of that too. Executed some inverted as well. Was kinda windy again though, wasn't a flawless flight but I got the itch so it had to be done.

When I need a trailer to haul my plane collection then we can compare Bro. I'm jealous already you don't need to rub it in lol
Lol

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Here is a little look on my version of a twin boom Explorer. Right now there is no electronics on the plane. I don't know what motor to use. The main wing is a 60" Storch wing. I understand that the Storch uses a "B" pack. Right now, I am not to happy with the nose. If the plane flies ok, there could be a new nose in the future.

Attachments

• Explorer twin boom 1.jpg
    Explorer twin boom 1.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Explorer twin boom 2.jpg
    Explorer twin boom 2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hi Everyone,

Here is a little look on my version of a twin boom Explorer. Right now there is no electronics on the plane. I don't know what motor to use. The main wing is a 60" Storch wing. I understand that the Storch uses a "B" pack. Right now, I am not to happy with the nose. If the plane flies ok, there could be a new nose in the future.
Your build looks great, I like how clean it is. You have a great attention to detail, all your cuts are smooth and your edges are finished. Great looking plane.

It may just be the angle of the pictures but just by looking at it there may be a couple of concerns. One of which is that the twin booms look a little short making little distance between the wing and the tail feathers. this could cause the plane to be pitchy in the air and tougher to handle. Second is the distance the motor mount is from the ground, might cause a prop strike upon landing, unless you plan to catch it by hand every time lol

The Storch wing will give you more the enough lift for the size of the airframe, maybe more then you need. It is an interesting build and I can't wait to see it fly. Good job man

alan0043

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/1-3m-twin-boom-pusher

Thank you so much for the kind words. The above link is where I got the idea about the twin boom. I used Andrew Newton numbers for the build of the tail. I will keep an eye on the motor/prop clearance to the ground. That is the nice thing about using foam board, you can make new or improved parts without hardy any cost. Being retired also helps with having more time to work on your side for builds. It might be some time before I get the plane into the air. I still need to get my electronics. One big plus I have going for me is that Edgewater air park is only about 35/40 minutes away. I hope to have Josh critique the build. This is the first time I have done anything like this. It is always nice to have extra eyes looking over the plane. I Thank You for your help. Please keep the input coming.

Al

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/1-3m-twin-boom-pusher

Thank you so much for the kind words. The above link is where I got the idea about the twin boom. I used Andrew Newton numbers for the build of the tail. I will keep an eye on the motor/prop clearance to the ground. That is the nice thing about using foam board, you can make new or improved parts without hardy any cost. Being retired also helps with having more time to work on your side for builds. It might be some time before I get the plane into the air. I still need to get my electronics. One big plus I have going for me is that Edgewater air park is only about 35/40 minutes away. I hope to have Josh critique the build. This is the first time I have done anything like this. It is always nice to have extra eyes looking over the plane. I Thank You for your help. Please keep the input coming.

Al
What kind of motor pack are you planning on using on it?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It looks great man! I’d recommend the c pack since you’re going to get a lot more power from it and I think it only costs like $5 more or something like that. It also gives you more versatility when flying other ft planes.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It looks great man! I’d recommend the c pack since you’re going to get a lot more power from it and I think it only costs like $5 more or something like that. It also gives you more versatility when flying other ft planes.
Go all or nothing with the new M Pack... Then 200% on all your builds. Bigger flies better right?