FT Explorer

docque

I just built one and I want to get it in the air. I have Emax Rs 2205 2300kv. Will that work on it or is it too low power?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Probably too high RPM per volt. I'm pretty sure you want to swing a 10" or so prop on that plane, and you can't do that with a 2205. You could mount a smaller prop and it would generate a lot of thrust, but would it have the required low speed thrust? More experienced people will likely comment, but I suspect the answer is no...

Mike

docque

Probably too high RPM per volt. I'm pretty sure you want to swing a 10" or so prop on that plane, and you can't do that with a 2205. You could mount a smaller prop and it would generate a lot of thrust, but would it have the required low speed thrust? More experienced people will likely comment, but I suspect the answer is no...

Mike

I also have a CF2822 kv1200 available according to my VERY limited knowledge on motors. This motor runs slower but has more torque. If I run a 9 inch prop on that, it should generate the lift I need.

I am getting this from what I read. 28 is the physical diameter of the motor. Larger size equals more torque. The 1200 rating means that for 1 volt it rotates at 1200 RPM. That is why running a 9 inch on the 2205 would cause problems.

Or am I wrong? Close?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
The 2822 is both larger in diameter and length than a 2205. The smaller motors can make a great deal of thrust, but only at very high RPM, and typically can't swing the larger props. And of course the kv rating means that the 2822 is going to swing the prop much slower than the 2300kv rating of the 2205.
Mike

docque

I am learning this is exciting. I have to think back to the old electronics days. We used to take a CD ROM and make it spin at very fast RPMs. It would explode into a ton of small shards.

So, that being said if the fast motors run a 6 inch prop, what does putting a 6 inch prop with three blades do?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I am learning this is exciting. I have to think back to the old electronics days. We used to take a CD ROM and make it spin at very fast RPMs. It would explode into a ton of small shards.

So, that being said if the fast motors run a 6 inch prop, what does putting a 6 inch prop with three blades do?

On a 2204, 6x4.5x3 blade? Probably cause the motor to draw too much current and overheat. That's a guess, though. A program available on site ecalc.ch can help you compute such questions. Or, if the ESC is too small, perhaps it will fail before the motor does. Or maybe the rating of the battery you are using is low enough that it can't cause anything to fail, and so the battery will drain very fast. Maybe it overheats?

Mike

docque

Thanks for the information. All I need is a battery connector to solder on and the Explorer can take to the air or smash to bits. I learned my lesson with CG.

docque

I got everything in the plane. Installed the battery to check the CG and it is VERY tail heavy. I learned my lessons in the past and made sure to move the servos as far to the front as possible.

I even put the 3s and two 2s batteries all the way forward and it is still very tail heavy.

So, suggestions to add weight?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Without fitting any FPV gear you will definitely need to add weight. A larger battery can help but even then a little weight in the very nose will be required.

Just my experience

Have fun!

docque

Without fitting any FPV gear you will definitely need to add weight. A larger battery can help but even then a little weight in the very nose will be required.

Just my experience

Have fun!

This is why I asked. What for weight? Roll of quarters?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I do not use quarters. Why would I add a monetary gift to those who might find and keep a fly away! (Never had a fly away by the way).

I have a large range of old tyre balance weights which seem to be forever falling of the wheels of cars and trucks that use the local streets.

As for the weight I just grab a small handful of weights and keep adding until I achieve balance. When I decide to add weight the amount does not really matter because adding weight is of course a last resort to make the plane balance. Additionally the FB I use is heavier than the FBs used by most others so the vlue of such information is low. I have never measured additional ballast weight

Have fun!

Crow929

The tail is adjustable. You can slide it in further, that should help relieve some of the tail heaviness of it.
I use a 3S 2800mah battery in my Explorer and I have no balance issues at all. Could be the bigger battery is helping that issue.

docque

The tail is adjustable. You can slide it in further, that should help relieve some of the tail heaviness of it.
I use a 3S 2800mah battery in my Explorer and I have no balance issues at all. Could be the bigger battery is helping that issue.

Well, I did add tons of weight to the front and looked at the possibility of shortening the boom. Is there a point where it can get too short?

TrentC

I cut the tail about 6 inches, just as he said, which decreased weight, but I also extended the nose section 4 inches, which could be great, because it gives much more space to work with. This helps maintain the great flight characteristics of the plane. Good Luck!

docque

I am going to revisit is this weekend. I decided that for weight I will use an old Barbie doll that I got years ago that hang from my Jeep's whip antenna. She is quite heavy and will look cool sitting on the front of the plane.

The reason I went this route is because the hamster wouldn't sit still. He crawled all over the place. Before you scream "Animal cruelty", I made him a helmet and a parachute.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am going to revisit is this weekend. I decided that for weight I will use an old Barbie doll that I got years ago that hang from my Jeep's whip antenna. She is quite heavy and will look cool sitting on the front of the plane.

The reason I went this route is because the hamster wouldn't sit still. He crawled all over the place. Before you scream "Animal cruelty", I made him a helmet and a parachute.

I love the imagery and the sense of humour!

Have a great flight!

Have fun!

docque

I finally got it up today and my Wife was happy to see it. THE PLANE PEOPLE!.

I went with a very large(2000mah) 3s battery and that did the trick. I just need to build a new nose and it will be pretty once again.

I did notice one thing. It would go right much tighter than it went left. The throws are identical, so I assume my wing is causing the issue.

Oh, and the new B pack replacement motor is not even close to the older motor. I find that all of the planes I used to have the CF2822 in are under powered and my Old Fogey can't even get of the ground.

Crow929

I finally got it up today and my Wife was happy to see it. THE PLANE PEOPLE!.
Hahaha, that made me nearly spit my coffee out!

Glad to hear you got her in the air. The speed of the roll will differ from left to right because of the motor torque/counter torque. That may be what you're experiencing.
I've gotten very good at making noses :black_eyed:, but luckily the rest of the plane is very resilient!

Jaybird14

Be Careful with dives and pulling up too hard. I've had my wings fold. I strongly suggest reinforcing the wings on the Explorer

I've hot glued bbq sick to the top surface of the wing out past the rubber bands (after assembly and crashing :) ) and they still fly just great!!

Good luck and have fun.

jay