FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
That ought to do it...

1591281278632.png

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, finally got off my butt today, found some plans...

a6-diagram.jpg

took them into inkscape and traced the outlines...

20200604_141027.jpg

i next took the measurements to Ecalc and figured out the CG. for those of you who are intimidated by this site, don't worry, so was i when i started. it's not hard, you just have to make sense of what they are asking. for me the easiest is to make a template with measurements, then put in the computer.

20200604_140649.jpg

if you do it right you get this...

20200604_140657.jpg

here are the measurements entered into the calculator. you can see from my template where the numbers come from. the template on the right explains the numbers for a multi-stepped wing. mine was only 1 step so easier, but once you get the idea, not much harder.

20200604_141616.jpg

i can now cut the foam and start to balance everything.

i always loved the ugly A-6 Intruder, nothing but attack, no defensive capabilities, you had to have big bells to fly one of these into combat. when i worked the flight deck the thing i remember the most was the NOISE and VIBRATIONS that this thing made on take off !!! i worked "final check" so i was just a few feet away on launch and it would rattle your teeth.

i have always wanted to design and build one, these EZ packs make it awfully simple.

laters,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, she is ready to fly. AUW is 34.5g so we did really well on weight. i kinda miss judged the battery placement and stuck it to far forward. i was able to compensate but i think with moving the battery and repositioning things i can drop AUW under 30g. (y)

20200604_163024.jpg

not flying tomorrow due to high temps but sat and sun look good. we will see what happens.

laters,

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
well, she is ready to fly. AUW is 34.5g so we did really well on weight. i kinda miss judged the battery placement and stuck it to far forward. i was able to compensate but i think with moving the battery and repositioning things i can drop AUW under 30g. (y)

View attachment 171000

not flying tomorrow due to high temps but sat and sun look good. we will see what happens.

laters,

I think you might have a problem with the FC board orientation. Pretyy sure there is a very specific way that board needs to mount in order to work. Plane looks great tho.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I think you might have a problem with the FC board orientation. Pretty sure there is a very specific way that board needs to mount in order to work. Plane looks great tho.

good to know. i had not heard that before but i guess makes sense. i placed it there due to CG issues, i can easily move in next plans but testing seemed ok. we will see.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I absolutely love the FT-Stem EZ planes that debuted in the new video on the tech channel. Does anyone know if we'll be getting free build plans for these planes? I can't spend $100 on the EZ Basix bundle, but I sure can spend $35 on the power pack. Is anyone else excited to build these new little planes? I showed the video to my 6-year-old daughter and she totally wants to fly them! Anyone else have a little kid who might start flying with these FT-EZ planes?
I bought the FT-Stem EZ bundle because it has 2 full setups. the FT-Freighter*Cough* BAnggood C-17 *cough* and the 3 FT Chuck Gliders - Stem EZ ready. Look at my Micro P-38 no controls build as an example of what you can do with it. Same with the Crimson Skies inspire, Devil's Dozen Mosquito. I will assuredly revisit that one soon.
I have the plans for a Sea Duck and a Don Karnage Plane to put together. just print shrunk to A4 sheet size and time to get crackin'. FT seems to have kept the FT-STEM plans under wraps... all of 'em. I'm thinking I would love to have the Star Trek-ish plans.

A nutball with an Enterprise Tail Tail?

Last edited:

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I bought the FT-Stem EZ bundle becuase it has 2 full setups. the FT-Freighter*Cough* BAnggood C-17 *cough* and the 3 FT Chuck Gliders - Stem EZ ready. Look at my Micro P-38 no controls build as an example of what you can do with it. Same with the Crimson Skies inspire, Devil's Dozen Mosquito. I will assuredly revisit that one soon.
I have the plans for a Sea Duck and a Don Karnage Plane to put together. just print to A4 sheet size and time to get crackin'.
FT seems to have kept the FT-STEM plane under wraps... all of 'em. I'm thinking I would love to have the Star Trek-ish planes.

A nutball with an Enterprise Tail Tail?
I'd love to fly these!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I agree with Sponz, I tried it flat like you have it on the EZ Corsair and it did not work.... Had to turn it up vertical, then everything was ok.

i may sneak down to park tomorrow and see. i tested by hand again and seems fine. If it doesn't work its an easy fix once i move battery.

thanks,

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I agree with Sponz, I tried it flat like you have it on the EZ Corsair and it did not work.... Had to turn it up vertical, then everything was ok.
YESSS! ORIENTATION is critical . SET it like the the FT Freighter vertical. I just put it in the P-38 and it would roll no matter what I did! when I set it vertical, It flew well. It is just trying to compensate to keep it upright and flying, so until it gets the board "straighten" It's going to correct a perfectly good flying plane.

I may have missed, it but Has anyone tested the Weight limit? I saw 60g? AUW of the C-17 "freighter" is 52g, without the engine cowls. (they come off)

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
According to the FT EZ V build video, for the board to work properly, it should be mounted vertically, with the battery plug forward, and the LED to the bottom. It's aligned the same way in the Freighter, also.
2020-05-28 (2).png

Michael9865

Elite member
Today I built the Intruder that SPONZ designed. I saw the two pennies on the plan and thought that must be if you build it as a chuck glider, doh. I added the two pennies to the outside of the fuselage to get the recommended CG. I hope to try it out tomorrow some time.

094B239A-C9F2-4229-B3FA-DA4352301F99.jpeg 2F3F3D70-53D4-4E16-9268-3519D1E71511.jpeg

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Today I built the Intruder that SPONZ designed. I saw the two pennies on the plan and thought that must be if you build it as a chuck glider, doh. I added the two pennies to the outside of the fuselage to get the recommended CG. I hope to try it out tomorrow some time.

View attachment 171101 View attachment 171100
Nice! Was it cut on a CNC router?
EDIT: Looks like a needle cutter. Very nice!

Last edited:

RCBuildIdeas

View attachment 171101 View attachment 171100

That looks great! Looks like we were working on the same thing today!
I made some modifications to the original design from SPONZ. Here are the mods:
  1. The nose of the fuselage is a little longer to be able to get the battery further forward if needed.
  2. Mounted the motors in the pusher configuration.
  3. Added a small skid to the bottom of the fuselage in an effort to protect the circuit board.
All up weight is about 45 grams. I hope to try flying it this weekend.

IMG_0003.JPG

Michael9865

Elite member
That looks great! Looks like we were working on the same thing today!
I made some modifications to the original design from SPONZ. Here are the mods:
  1. The nose of the fuselage is a little longer to be able to get the battery further forward if needed.
  2. Mounted the motors in the pusher configuration.
  3. Added a small skid to the bottom of the fuselage in an effort to protect the circuit board.
All up weight is about 45 grams. I hope to try flying it this weekend.

Looks nice.