FT-EZ Three Pack Plans?

JustDucky

I decided to create another airframe for the EZ Pack. I call this one the EZ-30 as she ended up with a 30 inch wingspan!

I built her using three Guillows Flying Machines (two to construct the main wing & both booms and a third for the horizontal stabilizer) plus one Guillows Reverso for the central fuselage, though just about anything could be used for this part. The receiver is held in place by friction fit only with two holes drilled to size in the main wing to allow for the antenna and red LED. The battery placement seems to work well on the nose of the plane.

As for flight characteristics, she is quite stable (assuming little to no wind) and a breeze to fly! The only problem I encountered was some occasional fluttering/vibration in one wing while turning. I might strengthen the wings, but it is probably fine as is. Other than that, with this relatively large wingspan, it is an absolute must that she be flown in high rates. I don't even want to think how much space I would need to turn her in low rates!

All in all, I had an absolute blast with this build and first flight. I highly recommend you build one for yourself!

Part of the maiden flight can be seen here:

EZ-30 001.jpg EZ-30 002.jpg EZ-30 003.jpg EZ-30 004.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I decided to create another airframe for the EZ Pack. I call this one the EZ-30 as she ended up with a 30 inch wingspan!

I built her using three Guillows Flying Machines (two to construct the main wing & both booms and a third for the horizontal stabilizer) plus one Guillows Reverso for the central fuselage, though just about anything could be used for this part. The receiver is held in place by friction fit only with two holes drilled to size in the main wing to allow for the antenna and red LED. The battery placement seems to work well on the nose of the plane.

As for flight characteristics, she is quite stable (assuming little to no wind) and a breeze to fly! The only problem I encountered was some occasional fluttering/vibration in one wing while turning. I might strengthen the wings, but it is probably fine as is. Other than that, with this relatively large wingspan, it is an absolute must that she be flown in high rates. I don't even want to think how much space I would need to turn her in low rates!

All in all, I had an absolute blast with this build and first flight. I highly recommend you build one for yourself!

Part of the maiden flight can be seen here:

View attachment 173686 View attachment 173687 View attachment 173688 View attachment 173689
That’s really cool!! Almost looks like a p-38...

FlyinAgain

recently found out about the EZ Power pack ... looks fun ... went to order but they were out of stock ... maybe later

created this as an homage to Joshs' design skills ... just copied his design based on what I could see from the video ... haven't got the EZ Power pack yet so I don't know how it'll fly but with a 1/4-20 steel nut in the nose ... it does glide

glider version weight is about 30gm ... wingspan 450mm ... slight dihedral at the dashed line

if anyone decides to build it and add the EZ power ... would be interested to know if it flies

BirdOfPrey-30x20.jpg

Attachments

• BirdOfPrey-30x20.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 0

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
recently found out about the EZ Power pack ... looks fun ... went to order but they were out of stock ... maybe later

created this as an homage to Joshs' design skills ... just copied his design based on what I could see from the video ... haven't got the EZ Power pack yet so I don't know how it'll fly but with a 1/4-20 steel nut in the nose ... it does glide

glider version weight is about 30gm ... wingspan 450mm ... slight dihedral at the dashed line

if anyone decides to build it and add the EZ power ... would be interested to know if it flies

View attachment 175305

I'll throw it on the laser cutter, put the electronics on it, and see how it does. May be the weekend before I get to it.

FlyinAgain

that would be cool ...

thought about the design overnight ... thinking that changing front "cockpit" to more of a canard may help pitch control (re: Josh's EZ-Canard) ... half cut wing at base of "canard" and bend up to match 3 degree line on fuselage

FoamyDM ... if you have the time and/or inclination ... could you try this? ... thanks ... Mike

Attachments

• Asy-BirdOfPrey03.jpg
    Asy-BirdOfPrey03.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 0
  • BirdOfPreyCanard01.pdf
    4.4 KB · Views: 0

Flyingshark

Master member

View attachment 175305
that would be cool ...
thought about the design overnight ... thinking that changing front "cockpit" to more of a canard may help pitch control (re: Josh's EZ-Canard) ... half cut wing at base of "canard" and bend up to match 3 degree line on fuselage
With the larger nose area/canard, it almost looks like the Negh'Var! I'll be sure to build this as soon as my workspace is cleaned up! I think I'll try to make the wing disruptor cannons out of BBQ skewers.

"Today is a good day to fly!" ;)

FlyinAgain

With the larger nose area/canard, it almost looks like the Negh'Var! I'll be sure to build this as soon as my workspace is cleaned up! I think I'll try to make the wing disruptor cannons out of BBQ skewers.

"Today is a good day to fly!" ;)

keep us posted on how it goes ...

based on your handle ... thought you might like this ... found it while searching on Amazon for chuck gliders that could be converted to RC with the EZ Power Pack
Screenshot_20200722-134758.png

Flyingshark

Master member
keep us posted on how it goes ...

based on your handle ... thought you might like this ... found it while searching on Amazon for chuck gliders that could be converted to RC with the EZ Power Pack View attachment 175331
My handle is actually about the Shenyang J-15 Flying Shark (or Flanker X2) carrier fighter, but those chuck gliders do look interesting. So many planes to build, and not enough time! I'll probably print out the Bird of Prey plans within the next few days. I'll keep you posted!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Now worries for calling me out... I usually have and idea planned printed and ready for building in a day. Don't worry. I want to bud this one as well. Let us see where the night takes us.

FlyinAgain

Though I'd work on completing the FT-EZ StarWars Flyers Set but substitute the USS Reliant for the Enterprise (since Josh already did that) ... built one out of Dollar Tree board ... and it glides with around 18gm of weight in the nose ... did not have to use pitch trim tabs, although they are there if needed ... again, haven't tried RC cause I don't have the FT-EZ Power Pack ... yet

to lighten the rear end ... peeled off the paper on all of the elevator and engine pod surfaces and top of the fuselage ... but ... before I removed the paper, I followed Joshua Finns' (another Josh) idea of using a hot iron to round over the leading and trailing edges of the foam ... improving the strength and aerodymanics of the foam (see YouTube videos under J&H Aerospace or search "foam board chuck gliders") ... I removed the paper after forming the leading edges and the "un-papered" foam core is much stifferand doesn't curve, but no heavier

Attachments

• USSReliant05.jpg
    USSReliant05.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 0
  • USSReliant05.pdf
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
that would be cool ...

OK, here are the results so far.

I cut the second version out and put it together.
BOP 1.jpg

BOP 2.jpg

BOP 3.jpg

Test flew it (or attempted to, but it pitched up a lot, which took a lot of weight to compensate on the front and dipped sharply in turns). Weight is not good, so I removed some of the front "canards" and eliminated some weight.

BOP 4.jpg

This configuration flew with a quarter and a penny for nose weight. Still is a bit iffy , but I was able to keep it in the air for a couple of minutes. Seems like to me it still has a lot of lift in the front that could be reduced and therefore be able to reduce the amount of weight. ( that's my story, and I'm sticking to it :D )

So, I took your first design, and will try it when I get the chance again. I will also see if I can get someone to video it flying.

BOP 5.jpg

BOP 6.jpg