FT Firewall from plywood?

krypton

Is it possible to create the FT firewall from plywood and just drill the holes?
I wasn't sure if the the ones from FT's store are made of plywood or balsa wood.

urbanrooster

I busted mine up a couple times on my cub and ended up making a couple out of that brown stuff that a clip board is made of. Hold tough but still breaks like you want it to if you nose in. I’ve proved the concept accidentally.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Is it possible to create the FT firewall from plywood and just drill the holes?
I wasn't sure if the the ones from FT's store are made of plywood or balsa wood.

Yes, if you have a Dremel that will do very well. If not a saw and drill will do rather well.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You do not want to make it from balsa, it's too weak.

There's a hobby grade plywood, but you could use just about any thin dense material. The clipboard tip above is good. Luan is a type of thin plywood you can find at home improvement stores.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
You can use the firewall template included in the plans. 1/8 inch plywood works well.

Keno

I use AC grade 3/32" plywood for general use (1/8" is ok but a bit heavy) (1/16" is ok for small minis) I purchase from a hobby stores and you can find pywood at a craft store such as Johanns (sp). You can also go online and find many supplier to AC grade Plywood. As said, balsa not good. Nor is what they call "Lite Ply" it is to weak and will fail. However, for me is, to order flyer walls from Flite Test.

jpot1

Elite member
If you have access to a dollar tree store, I use their plastic cutting boards. Two for $1 and I probably can get 20 firewalls. You will need a saw to cut it.

Jaxx

If you have access to a dollar tree store, I use their plastic cutting boards. Two for $1 and I probably can get 20 firewalls. You will need a saw to cut it.

Do you ever have any issues with the plastic softening or warping when the motor gets hot?

Headbang

Master member
Do you ever have any issues with the plastic softening or warping when the motor gets hot?
If you push the motor hard it can happen (over sized prop), even on 3d printed fire walls (speaking from experience), but in most cases it does not get hot enough to be an issue.

Jaxx

If you push the motor hard it can happen (over sized prop), even on 3d printed fire walls (speaking from experience), but in most cases it does not get hot enough to be an issue.

I push my motors hard, so I may run into that issue with plastic. I'll probably give it a try anyway.