FT Flyer Maiden Questions

AZ Lighting Guy

Hi, I'm a noobie to powered RC planes. I bought a Carbon Cub S+ in February and decided I didn't want to crash such a pretty and expensive plane right away so I invested in RF8 Flight Simulator. After getting a good feel of RC flying on it, I bought a UMX Radian and started flying it at a nearby park. After a couple unplanned meetings with trees and trash cans, I now can fly it with confidence. So I still didn't feel ready for the cub just yet and bought the three swapable kit with Power Pack C from Flitetest. I have enjoyed building model rockets over the years and looked forward to building a plane. I suffer the curse of being an engineer all of my life and tend to research things to death. My findings from this forum indicated that the C Pack was too much for the FT Flyer....so...I bought a Emax MT2213-935KV motor (as used in the B Pack) and put it on my FT Flyer with a 10X4.5 prop. I also had bought a 3S 2200mah LiPo for it but decided to go with a 3S 650mah instead. I had my FT Flyer maiden flight yesterday and I didn't crash! HOWEVER, it seemed the FT Flyer wanted to go UP when I throttled up. I had checked the CG ( I built a PVC jig to test - see photo) and it was right on. It flew and landed nice with little or no throttle applied. I only had the one battery so my flight test was over after about 5 min with several successful takeoffs and landings. My noobie conclusion is that it is just a high alpha plane and overpowered with possibly a thrust angle issue. I added a couple #2 flat washers under the top of the motor mount, triple checked the elevator alignment and installed a smaller 9X4.5 prop. I guess my question is am I on the right path or is this just a plane that you fly at low throttle?

Attachments

• IMG_20180718_091701.jpg
    IMG_20180718_091701.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180716_204831.jpg
    IMG_20180716_204831.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

kilroy07

Legendary member
Someone might correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they have updated the power packs over the years so that still just might be a pretty big motor/prop for the flyer (again, I might be wrong) but I fly mine with a 2205 ("F" pack) and it has MORE than enough power (get's kind of squirrely over 80% throttle) so I usually fly around 50-60%.

I suggest you take that motor and build yourself the FT Cub, it's one of my favorite flyers and that motor and the 2200 will be just perfect for it!

Really nice/clean build on that flyer BTW. And that's EXACTALLY why I got into FT planes too, 'cept my hanger queen is a Eleven Hobby P-51D (Ah... someday...)

Bricks

Master member
To check your thrust angle pull straight up and hit the throttle and watch how the plane reacts, if it pulls to the canopy need to add down thrust and visa versa. If it pulls left or right then side thrust needs to be corrected.

AZ Lighting Guy

Thanks Kilroy07, I hopefully will get back out this weekend and see if the changes I made helped. (Forecasting 111 here Sunday, and my gorilla hot glue is only rated to 120...Gotta fly early. I think dropping the prop size and taking it easy on the throttle may be one answer. I plan on building several Power Pods with different motors and of course MORE planes. Any idea on the recommended rates and expos for the FT Flyer?

Thanks Bricks, That makes sense, nullifying the effect of gravity to show the true thrust angle. I did add two small #2 washers under the top of the motor mount and one washer on each side. It seemed like it wanted to do a loop when I hit the throttle but with the throttle off it glided straight. It may just be powered over my abilities...a nice challenge.