FT Flyer mod version 2.0

Liemavick

Mentor
Hey guys, after bashing the heck out of our original FT Flyer I made some alterations to it. I added ailerons and reduced wing and tail size. The new design flew well and survived two additional outings. We finally killed it this past week when the wings folded in high winds.

Enter version 2.0, I built the original Flyer again and then made my mods. I cut the wing more squared this time and added larger ailerons. I also reduced the tail again. This time however I doubled up the wing thickness partially which created a K foil as well. I also sanded the leading edge on the lower wing to reduce drag. Hopefully it will give us a little more reinforcement in higher winds. The first picture is the original mod, the rest are 2.0 :)

DSCN0058.JPG DSCN0088.JPG DSCN0089.JPG DSCN0092.JPG

baronbernie

Looking at your last picture, the propeller appears to have flashing around it. 2.0 appears interesting and fun to fly. Does it still fly slow?

Liemavick

Mentor
Baron it does indeed, have not done the fine finishing work yet on the plane. It's actually one of the "dirtier" props Ive received from Master Airscrew, As far as air speed lets just say now it can fly fast, as well as fly slow. :)

earthsciteach

Very nice. I love to see the mods. Have you tried it with APC props? I read a study that found Master Airscrew props to be some of the least efficient out there!

Liemavick

Mentor
Howdy Teach, Good info, TY. Yes I have an assortment of props like most newbies. i have a couple 8x6 APC I ordered when the 8x4e's were back ordered. The motor on this build is probably one more meeting with the ground away from being trashed, so I stuck the Master Screw on it. I originally had a prop saver on the motor, but with it being a little out of whack now my guess is it would allow the prop to get even sloppier.