FT Flyer Mods Thread

malik98

Gravity Fighter
Hello all, after I posted my modification of flaps on the Ft Flyer and got a great response Christopher14 said that there should be a FT Flyer mod forum so here we are. Feel free to post any or all of the modifications you have done to your plane. Since I started this I will show you my mod.

I have added flaps to my Flyer for smoother landings.
ft flyer flaps.jpg
As you can see I have a pushrod system that goes to both flaps because I only had one servo. You can see the original thread here.

Cheers,
Malik

malik98

Gravity Fighter
My next update.
After too many nosedives and package taping the nose to hold it tight I had an aha moment. Why not protect the nose and scare the neighborhood kids at the same darn time. So I added foot long bbq skewers to the front(with the point intact, what fun would it be without), and one cross beam to hold it together.
rsz_20140818_201654.jpg

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Oh by the way, Here is a list of the things I would like to see or do:

Bi-plane or Tri-plane
Air brakes
2D thrust vectoring and no rudder or elevator
Twin engine
differential thrust and elevator (no rudder)

engineer

I did build a twin prop/slot flyer... but it was so ugly. Threw it away last week. I'll consider making one cruiser-style.
However, I really like the idea of a bi-flyer! Maybe that first!

malik98

Gravity Fighter
UPDATE
I went ahead and did the Bi-Plane mod and it is a verrrrrry slow airplane. It barely wants to climb because of all the added weight. It didn't want to climb and I couldn't test the flaps because I had to focus on keeping it in the air. I took the wing off my old FT Flyer and made it stand 1.5" higher than the original wing. The formers were 1.5x2 inches and on the left, right, front, and back.
20140819_185730.jpg 20140819_192614.jpg

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
You know how to get it to climb better, thrust vectoring!!!!! Now , about the bi-wing... If you want any more crazy ideas, I have a binder ;)

malik98

Gravity Fighter
I'm about to get back into the airplane aspect of this hobby after doing quads for a few months and, of course, I'm building a Flyer. Its the only plane I can build and have work every time (maybe because I've only built 3) but onto the question. Will 4.5 pounds of thrust get me to 50 mph or even 75 mph? I have a G-Force G15 motor that will be swinging a nitro 12 x 6 propeller. I thought about doing a dual motor mod but with each motor weighing 5 oz in may be on the heavy side for the wing.

I also plan to incorporate flaperons because this plane lands too fast for my short runway, 3 inch rubber tires (maybe trike configuration with steerable nose wheel. Is that possible?), and a bomb drop.

Cheers,
Malik

Last edited:

Christopher14

I'm about to get back into the airplane aspect of this hobby after doing quads for a few months and, of course, I'm building a Flyer. Its the only plane I can build and have work every time (maybe because I've only built 3) but onto the question. Will 4.5 pounds of thrust get me to 50 mph or even 75 mph? I have a G-Force G15 motor that will be swinging a nitro 12 x 6 propeller. I thought about doing a dual motor mod but with each motor weighing 5 oz in may be on the heavy side for the wing.

I also plan to incorporate flaperons because this plane lands too fast for my short runway, 3 inch rubber tires (maybe trike configuration with steerable nose wheel. Is that possible?), and a bomb drop.

Cheers,
Malik

I would recommend a 150% FT Flyer with that motor on it, I built a 130% Flyer and it flew great!

BanditJacksRC

I would recommend a 150% FT Flyer with that motor on it, I built a 130% Flyer and it flew great!

I have a 28-26 NTM 258W 1200kv motor, and I have been wanting to build a Flyer, but thought the regular scale flyer would be too small.

Do you think if I did a 150% scale it would fly okay with that motor? Where did you get your plans?

Christopher14

I have a 28-26 NTM 258W 1200kv motor, and I have been wanting to build a Flyer, but thought the regular scale flyer would be too small.

Do you think if I did a 150% scale it would fly okay with that motor? Where did you get your plans?

I think a 120% Flyer would work great with that motor, I would also recommend a 3s 1300mAh instead if a 2200mAh because of weight. As for plans, I just took the FT Flyer plans and scaled them up a little bit.

malik98

Gravity Fighter
I've just finished my Ft Flyer with flaperons and a HUUUGGGEEE motor http://www.valuehobby.com/g15-1100kv-outrunner-motor.html. I gave it a red tail after the movie Red Tails based on the Tuskegee Airmen or the 332nd Fighter Group.

20141222_220641.jpg
It's a G-Force G15 with the power output of a ~0.3cc engine. It's swinging a 12x6 nitro propeller.

20141222_220632.jpg
Picture of entire airplane.

20141222_220721.jpg
Flaperons completely deployed, can be adjusted with radio potentiometer.

20141222_220733.jpg
Picture of control horn used on ailerons, it was the only thing I had on hand that would stay in place. It's a double sided servo arm with the two tiny arms on the sides.

malik98

Gravity Fighter
Unfortunately my plane didn't last long.
First Flight: Tail heavy and too sensitive
Second Flight: Hovered horizontally in wind before breaking apart suddenly with loud pop sound
Third Flight: Ailerons too sensitive
Fourth Flight: Flew good, ailerons didn't have enough through. After one lap I punched it to see how much speed it had, the motor whined and my wings folded sending it into the only place with a metal chain fence (guess what I hit).

Cheers,
Malik

Last edited: