FT Flyer Mods?

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Hey Guys!

I'm teaching my friend how to fly on an FT Flyer, and I was wondering if anyone has some mods that would help strengthen the airframe?

The first day of teaching was about 15 minutes and three hard crashes. The plane is a total write-off, but my friend managed to almost not crash completely the third time :p. The main damage is to the front of the power pod, the front of the wing where the power pod rests, and just behind the wing where the fuselage meets the tail. Attached are a couple of pics.

My main goal for any mod is to keep it simple and relatively light. I want to build 4 or 5 of these, and I'm already planning on running them a bit on the heavy side with a 1300 maH 3 cell.

Thanks!
Sam

Attachments

• 20200514_191819.jpg
    20200514_191819.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200514_191845.jpg
    20200514_191845.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 0

ThatsALotOfPlanes

@ Ryan O.
Ah, good idea! I might double up the foam there too. I fondly remember when I smacked a football goal with my first plane, a Flyer. The front exploded and I had to piece it back together. I'm convinced it flew better after that :LOL:

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Got the rebuild done tonight, I managed to save the H-stab and V-stab from the previous Flyer. I used a paint stick to reinforce the firewall from the inside of the power pod and to reinforce the front of the wing. Hopefully, these additions will keep the firewall from crushing the power pod and front of the wing inwards. I'll look into the kfm wing tomorrow and maybe make another, most likely using salvaged parts from this soon-to-be-crashed one :censored:

Attachments

• 20200514_231850.jpg
    20200514_231850.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200514_231913.jpg
    20200514_231913.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 0

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Got the rebuild done tonight, I managed to save the H-stab and V-stab from the previous Flyer. I used a paint stick to reinforce the firewall from the inside of the power pod and to reinforce the front of the wing. Hopefully, these additions will keep the firewall from crushing the power pod and front of the wing inwards. I'll look into the kfm wing tomorrow and maybe make another, most likely using salvaged parts from this soon-to-be-crashed one :censored:
I've been toying with the Idea of a 3d capable flyer. I've got 2 sheets of FTFB left so maybe I'll do it.

Winger

One piece FT Flyer airframe: has anyone done one? If you don't need swappability it seems to be a way to save weight and add strength. I'm going to do one, but wonder if anyone has and can share photos/experience with it.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

One piece FT Flyer airframe: has anyone done one? If you don't need swappability it seems to be a way to save weight and add strength. I'm going to do one, but wonder if anyone has and can share photos/experience with it.

What do you mean one piece? Like just attaching the elecs directly to the airframe?