FT Flyer Rear Facing

RCBaer

Hi Guys,

I finally had a video worth posting here that isn't a question or a problem. I mounted my mobious facing toward the tail of my FT Flyer on a 2 foam board thick pedestal right over the front tabs for the power pod.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the FT Flyer flies by incidence, and not lift, so the nose is always facing a bit toward the sky, that is why my rear facing camera shots turned out TONS better than the forward facing ones (less Sky).

I was flying at the high school near my house in a suburb of Salt Lake City.

What do you think? I had a blast exploring this part of the hobby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczdCWN7vZY

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I like it! I do the same thing with my delta since the periscope looking mount I had to use to get the prop out of the frame was draggy and fragile. I have a small platform mounted on the rear and you don't see any plane at all in the videos...pretty wild looking. I need to upload some of those soon when time allows.

RCBaer

Please upload a video, and a picture of your mount. I would love to see them!

Do you have trouble with your delta doing tip stalls with your camera on it? I seem to have some issues with my delta and I'm afraid of putting a camera on it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
My delta isn't the FT Delta but an old Combat delta I've had for years. It looks like it too! I have an FT delta but haven't flown that one much...
Putting up one of the raw videos of some birds chasing me. I had some tail heavyness to begin with as well...
When it goes live it will be here.

Last edited:

RCBaer

HI xuzme720, it says the video is private. :confused:

Not sure what to do there, I'm even more of a newbie with Youtube than I am at RC Planes.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, it's just that it hadn't finished uploading and rendering...should be fine nowexcept that it's the wrong video...grrr.

Something was up with Youtube that had this mixed up bad...I got it sorted out now and the video should be fine now...
Damn you Google!

Last edited:

RCBaer

That is a cool video xuzme720! I need to find a mount like yours that doesn't show the plane and if I fly near your house, maybe get some bird repellant :)

is it common for birds to go after RC Planes?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I can't say how common it is, but I have seen a few others with bird trouble. The one's near me don't actually attack the plane, they just bluff and feint near it. It's only during certain times of the year so it might be a mated pair patrolling and protecting their nest.
One thing to keep in mind is not to chase them. Your prop can do some serious damage if it made contact with them and it could be a problem with the local wildlife authorities if you are seen to be harassing the birds. Them chasing you is ok, but the other way around could be trouble.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I just realized I never posted my mount. It's pretty simple really. It's 2 pieces of carbon flat bar 1x3mm and some velcro. The carbon is glued to the wing on either side of the tail (mine has a central tail) about 3/4" apart and overhanging the rear by a couple inches and bridge the 2 with the velcro. Mount the camera to the velcro and Bob's your uncle. I use the little 808 #16 V2 keychain, I doubt you want a GoPro hanging off the back on a rig like this...

RCBaer

That mount sounds really great and more thought out than mine. It feels safe to have the camera at the back and not by the whirling blades of death!

William A

Billy did it....
Awesome vid RCBaer.

A little constructive build tip, the control rod grips in the servo arms need some loosening so they can pivot.

Watch your control rods flex.

RCBaer

Thanks William A! Should I use any lock tight or glue so they don't come all the way off? What do you do?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you use loctite, make sure to let it dry at least a little before installing the nut. The solvent in Loctite is harmful to plastic and might degrade your servo horn. Add just a tiny bit to the nut, let it dry for a few minutes, then install to the grip and be happy. It also might just be the hole in the servo arm that is too small as that can cause binding as well, but based on the amount of flex in yours, I'd say it's a too tight nut on the grip...