FT Flyer - Scratch Build

Villalji

Scratch build fan
This is a great plane and a great project to start on the hobby with a real plane (sorry nutball)!
I loved building and still love flying it!
Thanks FT!
37a5e7c75c8b5d8f6d5f8d885b5e1ecd_zpsbd4c252f.jpg

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Well it flew!!!!! Thought it was going to be a little more crazy in the wind but in fact it flew a pretty good

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Now wind today! Got my FT Flyer out, crashed it, broke my only remaining prop and ripped the wing off (nice cartwheel though!)
So I went to a couply hobby shops and bought one out of 7x6 and 8x4.3 gws props, the other doesn't stock them apperntly, so I bought a 7x6sf and 8x4.8sf apc props. I then rushed home and rebuilt the wing, balanced the plane and it flew great! My first truley successful flight of an r/c airplane.
0304131938.jpg
Made my templates for an Old Fogey. It will be next!

Bolvon72

Mentor
Now wind today! Got my FT Flyer out, crashed it, broke my only remaining prop and ripped the wing off (nice cartwheel though!)

Nothing like some good old ground acrobatics. I'll take bouncing it off the ground over a tree any day. Good luck on many more successful flights and definitely try the Old Fogey, it is a great plane. I did find that it flies better with a taller tail, less rocking, but you have to add weight to the front to balance it.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Well, in the ever forward search to decorate my planes, my most brilliant idea yet was to hand it over to my 16 year old and her imagination.

Colleen Flyer.jpg

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well, in the ever forward search to decorate my planes, my most brilliant idea yet was to hand it over to my 16 year old and her imagination.

Great! By coincidence I just gave my nutball to my 2 year old to paint tonight. I can tell the top from the bottom now but it's not quite as attractive as the job your 16 year old did :D

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Wow! another low wind day in Ohio! Got the FT Flyer out today with more success! Didn't break a single prop! The power pod is getting a little soft though, so I guess I will take 10 minutes and build another!

Great work by your daughter, Bolvon! I painted my first foam plane, destroyed it quick enough. I'll wait to do any artwork on another until I get some more practice!

Zach Scott

Me and my 6 year old got his ft out today. Flys good. Looking for a downer radio so we can start buddy boxing. But the Ft is a cool little plane.

KristofferD

Hey guys

Thanks for making amazing videos, not only for entertainement but instructional as well. Your swappable kits gave me the kickstart I needed to jump with both feet into this hobby.

Enough jibber jabber. I'm here to ask for help. I did a silly mistake of buying the wrong battery for my FT Flyer, I just realized that it's 4 cell. Will this be a problem for the rest of the electronics?

It's very annoying, everything is finished I even soldered today, first time ever!

Thank you

Bolvon72

Mentor
A 4S might do bad things to your ESC/Motor depending on what you have. Even if the motor can take it, you might have a little trouble learning to fly that fast right away. Try a 2S to start.

KristofferD

Thanks for a quick answer. Luckily it was my eyes that failed me, it was a 3 cell battery:D

I did my maiden flight last night. Although it was pitch black, windy and -5c (23 farenheit).

It was a blast! Sure I couldn't make it fly properly, but it took off and it flew for a couple of seconds! The attempts when I could keep it afloat it dissapeared into the darkness and crashed.

Damages: A landing weel fell off. The tip of my prop broke. :applause: Very satisfied with that, I thought I was going to annihilate the entire plane.

Thank you again for making this possible FliteTest!

I bought foamboard in Norway and did the cutting myself, but now I ordered two kits, t-shirt, some accessories and stickers to support you guys

nunieboy

hello guys.

today i flew my ft flyer in what seemed to me are some light to medium winds. As i'm a complete nooby at this, i went at it and the plane just started flying backwards with the wind... and i lost the plane in somebody's backyard..

question

if i put a stronger motor on it, would it be able to fight the wind?

Bolvon72

Mentor
hello guys.

if i put a stronger motor on it, would it be able to fight the wind?

This is that weak little hextronic 24gr on a 2s. It just takes practice. If you let the wind get under the whole wing with the plane vertical... its gone; like right around 1:35.

And like JB says, keep it up wind and ahead of you in the playground.

Last edited:

Bolvon72

Mentor
what's the difference between these two motors?
why is one more expensvie than the other
No difference on paper. I have a couple of the disposables and it's hit and miss on the quality control. One has a grub screw hole for the base right in line with the mounting screw so you can barely loosen the grub once it is mounted. That's a bit of a pain, and the prop savers strip out too easily. But they are called disposable.

I can't speak for the quality of the other one, If I am going to spend $30 for a motor/esc combo I am going with a similar sized Suppo. Quality and reliability is not a question there.

nunieboy

Hey, Thank you once again.

Only reason i asked is cause i'm trying to learn. i already have the suppo version of that motor. Thank you

Bolvon72

Mentor
No problem, if you have the suppo you are doing great, I have tried many motors for the swappables and always revert to the trusty suppo.