FT Flyer weight

dionio

FT Flyer weight ( updated )

I just built the FT Flyer exactly from the plans. It looks really nice. But the weight is 315 grams incl powerpod electronics landing gear etc. But without the battery. Seems heavy to me. I used 5mm foam board from the Netherlands (peter van ginkel). Also the CG is 1cm behind the CG from the plans. I can make it heavier in the front to move it. Will that be neccesary.

I have the 2s 500 and the 3s 500 and an 2s 850 and used the recommended electronics from the website. Turnigy park 300 1380kv , 8 x 4 prop.
I have experience with a parkzone radian and enough simulator exp. Will the weight be a problem? Do I need to lose the weight before the maiden?
Thanks in advance

P.s. love the show

EDIT: It worked perfectly ! the seemingly heavy foamboard from the Netherlands is good with the designs. and the recommended electronics. Although 2S is almost to slow. So go with the 3S batteries. used 500 and 850.

Last edited:

engineer

Hi dionio, and welcome to the FT Forums!

That sounds about the right weight to me. Foam board planes are a bit heavier than their EPO/EPP brothers, so don't be too concerned about that. If you put the battery right up to the front of the powerpod, you will probably be fine.

About the Park300, I've not tried the 1380kv, but i have a 1600kv that doesn't like 8x4s. Mine flew pretty well with 7x5 on 2s, and 6x4 on 3s. I'd say start with the 2s500 if the CG is right, otherwise try the 2s850, and that should balance it better. 3s500 probably weighs same as 2s850.

Let us know how it works!

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I don't think it's too heavy. IIRC the original one was ~280 g without electronics?

I've used Kapa board and it got twice as heavy. Because of that (and time issues) I was not able to fly it yet - it's been sitting in my car for months now :-(.

The CG seems to be a general FT Flyer problem. A lot of people have to add weight in the nose to not have it tail heavy.

My suggestion: Don't be "afraid" like me, just fly it and if it doesn't work - build a new one or add a bigger motor. After all that's part of the DIY deal ;)

dionio

Just went out to do its maiden. It went very good. Emptied ( not fully ofcourse ) all the batteries . the 3S performed right for this plane. the 2S was a little to less, but doable. no crashes, nice landings in medium high grass, so the landing gear didnt flipped over. Also did an takeoff from the street.

It was nicely trimmed and needed a little bit more up-elevator. In the air i felt like it did really "hard" nose dives if i steered down. But up was not so "hard". Has this to do with the CG or is this normal for his design?

My son, 4 years old, liked it to so we're about to build the one and only: FT Duster.

Thanks for the reply's!