FT Flyer with slight modifications

d8veh

Elite member
Just finished my FT Flyer after my cat finally got off my lap and went out to play. It took all of an evening to build, so nothing to get too excited about. I modified it by adding ailerons, reduced the dihedral to something like one inch under each tip, I increased the size of the elevator and rudder, and I added a little hinged protection pod for the battery underneath. I used one of those $4 gold A2212/13T motors. i was going to use the yellow no name ESC that came with it, but I discovered that it couldn't handle two servos on one channel for whatever reason, so I used one of the Flitetest 20A ones. With a 10 x 4.5 propeller, it's drawing 15 amps at full throttle and giving thrust about twice the 400g weight of the plane, so I'm hoping that it'll be good at 3D stuff - that's if it flies at all.

Finally, I used some foamboard that I got from ebay before I got my box from Flitetest. this board is a bit heavier and very stiff, so not suitable for planes with bent or folded parts, but it's perfect for this one.

So far, I've built a Simple Scout, Mini Scout, Sportster, Edge 450, FT3D and the Flyer. That's in about 3 weeks. Maybe I'll have them all by the end of the year. My next one will be a scratch build out of foam board of a plane that I flew in the '80s that had exceptional flying characteristics. I have to go up in my attic to see if i still have the balsawood plans. If it works in foam, we all have something to look forward to, as I'll try and make plans/build instructions as well.

FT Flyer.jpg

FTFler A.jpg

daxian

Elite member
don't want to be picky ...but you would be better lining the aileron servo's with the ailerons ...to give better efficiency !!
i added mine to the wing area and did the same as you at first ,but found they tore the hinges after a few flites...

d8veh

Elite member
don't want to be picky ...but you would be better lining the aileron servo's with the ailerons ...to give better efficiency !!
i added mine to the wing area and did the same as you at first ,but found they tore the hinges after a few flites...
It's a good point, not being picky. I thought about that and drew the positions on the ailerons prior to cutting the slots as you can see in the photo, but I didn't like the look of them at an angle to the airflow. They twist a bit in their present positions, but I think they'll be OK. Hopefully, we'll have the answer on Friday. If it's no good , I'll move them. That's if the plane survives, of course.

BS projects inc.

Elite member

The aileron servos are fine where they are. Its not about the angle that the servo is at its about the position of the servo arm itself.

daxian

Elite member
It's a good point, not being picky. I thought about that and drew the positions on the ailerons prior to cutting the slots as you can see in the photo, but I didn't like the look of them at an angle to the airflow. They twist a bit in their present positions, but I think they'll be OK. Hopefully, we'll have the answer on Friday. If it's no good , I'll move them. That's if the plane survives, of course.
indeed !! replacing them or the control horn will take just a few minutes and a little glue...and add to your learning process,its all good !! fingers crossed for good weather for your test flight !!

saintofinternet

Just finished my FT Flyer after my cat finally got off my lap and went out to play. It took all of an evening to build, so nothing to get too excited about. I modified it by adding ailerons, reduced the dihedral to something like one inch under each tip, I increased the size of the elevator and rudder, and I added a little hinged protection pod for the battery underneath. I used one of those $4 gold A2212/13T motors. i was going to use the yellow no name ESC that came with it, but I discovered that it couldn't handle two servos on one channel for whatever reason, so I used one of the Flitetest 20A ones. With a 10 x 4.5 propeller, it's drawing 15 amps at full throttle and giving thrust about twice the 400g weight of the plane, so I'm hoping that it'll be good at 3D stuff - that's if it flies at all.

Finally, I used some foamboard that I got from ebay before I got my box from Flitetest. this board is a bit heavier and very stiff, so not suitable for planes with bent or folded parts, but it's perfect for this one.

So far, I've built a Simple Scout, Mini Scout, Sportster, Edge 450, FT3D and the Flyer. That's in about 3 weeks. Maybe I'll have them all by the end of the year. My next one will be a scratch build out of foam board of a plane that I flew in the '80s that had exceptional flying characteristics. I have to go up in my attic to see if i still have the balsawood plans. If it works in foam, we all have something to look forward to, as I'll try and make plans/build instructions as well.

View attachment 118486

View attachment 118487
can you share a flight video if you have any.... please???

kdobson83

You could have used a single servo for the ailerons like the FT Bloody Wonder uses. One servo right in the middle. Would have saved a little weight. I am interested in the flight tho. Post a video if possible. Always wondered how the Flyer would do with ailerons.