FT Flyer

StinkySQL

Love this episode. Not sure about the "dark" Josh. Can someone reference a part number for the fiberglass on Hobby King? I can't seem to find it.
SS SSFT_Build_001.jpg

StinkySQL

Ready for Maiden

Parts came in from HK so we finished it up and found our method of capturing the wing for mounting.

The motor is mounted two degrees down with respect to the fuselage. Does anyone have experience in setting right thrust in this thing? Is it even needed?

Wasn't too sure about the C.G. on this, picked a spot that is in-line with the wingtips. If anyone knows better, let me know before Sunday morning! LOL.
SS

Ready for Maiden.jpg

StinkySQL

Well, seems to work. First round would not even fly but would eat props. C.G. was way too forward. The actual maiden was up and down in about 30seconds as the motor angle was way to up. This round (first really flying) was way better, probably still needs a little more down angle on the motor. My pilot did not think it was a beginner flyer. Could be the builder though ;). Seems you need to keep it moving so no prop hanging on this one just yet.
SS

stevetsc

Hey guys, I enjoy your show and this looks like a fun build. I'm trying to follow your parts list, but I'm having trouble finding the Turnigy motor you specified. Did they change the name/model number? Thanks!

stevetsc

Well, I got my Dart built as far as structure goes, waiting on electrics and such from Hobby King now. Weighs in at 162g (5.7oz) dry right now.

DSCF0140_1024x768.jpg DSCF0141_1024x768.jpg DSCF0142_1024x768.jpg

stevetsc

Ok, after a long HK back-order wait, I finally got my box of goodies! Out came the soldering gear and the music box. After jamming out for a bit I managed to get my ESC hooked up to some bullet connectors and a JST connector (battery) as well as a charging whip I set up the radio system on my workbench. Everything works great! put it all into the plane, adjusted CG, hooked up the push-rods and took it out for a maiden.

2 things happened:
>>1.) over 5yrs away from the hobby shows in some rusty piloting.
>>2.) this is a durable little plane!

I crashed about a half-dozen times but it's generally in good condition. I broke the firewall, but it was balsa, DOH! After a quick patch with some hot glue and plywood it was back in the air. I also found out 0.58mm push rods are no good. I switched to 1.00mm so I'll see how that goes tomorrow. I also put some V bends in the new push rods so I have to do less digital trim.

@colorex: How were your motors? Smooth like silk or did they have a course feeling to them? I got 2 and both aren't the smoothest motor I've ever felt, but I'm new to the out-runner market. That being said, it winds up fast and with the 2s it glides nice. I'll play with that for a bit before I try going like stink and using the 3s. The 2s crashes just fast enough for me, haha!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
@colorex: How were your motors? Smooth like silk or did they have a course feeling to them? I got 2 and both aren't the smoothest motor I've ever felt, but I'm new to the out-runner market. That being said, it winds up fast and with the 2s it glides nice. I'll play with that for a bit before I try going like stink and using the 3s. The 2s crashes just fast enough for me, haha!

They should be able to spin freely, without making a loud grinding noise. If you have a grinding noise it might be the stator (metal "star" where the winding is) rubbing against the magnets on the bell. There is a way to fix that, but only if you need to.

That said, the magnets on these motors are very strong, and kind of make it hard to spin them around - but there should be no scraping. And also, there is some level of noise produced by bearings spinning at 9000 RPM :)

So, try spinning it by hand - if it stops with a grindy feel, you might have to fix the stator for free movement. If it just feels "steppy" to turn, then it's normal.

stevetsc

Thanks for the info! Must just be the magnets, I inspected it all over and couldn't find any drag points. It does make a nice hum/whir when it's up to speed and pulls the Dart nicely! Side note: I tried the same setup on my Funbat, but 2s may not be enough to pull it around. Gonna try it with 3s and see how that goes.

jelofson

I crashed mine a lot on the maiden as this thing is so crazy maneuverable. After dialing down the throws, I gained more control and confidence. Now I switch rates all the time, depending on how I feel. This is one of my favorites. I rigged up a little micro servo on the bottom for dropping a little parachute guy for the kids to chase. Fun stuff :)

IamNabil

Have you done anything to the dragging tail feathers to keep them from scuffage? Looks good, by the way. I like black planes.