Solved FT foam european distripution

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Hey, does anybody know what's up with the european distripution of ft foam board? I did email flite test about this problem and all they said is that they are working on it and they will make an announcement once it's all set. So pretty much what I expected them to say. If anybody knows whats up with this or if there is still foam available in some european store please let me know!

FDS

Elite member
There’s no viable alternative for FT weight foam unless you can afford a container full from Adams. Their minimum order is one truck full and they only sell in the USA.
Otherwise 3mm EU Westboard or tweaking the plans for the EU 5mm are your best bet.

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
There’s no viable alternative for FT weight foam unless you can afford a container full from Adams. Their minimum order is one truck full and they only sell in the USA.
Otherwise 3mm EU Westboard or tweaking the plans for the EU 5mm are your best bet.
I have access to this white foam board which is 60-70% heavier, twice as expensive and the paper doesn't peal, so waiting is the best option I guess and hope flite test actually works on the problem.

FDS

Elite member
The foamboard you have is the same as we do, it’s true that it’s heavier, that’s why you can direct swap 3mm for 5mm to save back the weight. The paper does come off, @CarolineTyler has a great process for taking the paper off.
The problems of weight are much less of an issue in the larger planes, I have both a Sportster and Scout that are made out the heavy board, I just added a little length in the nose and went one size bigger on the motors. More power is always good. Minis can be a problem and you can’t make master series designs out of our board very easily. Minis can be done fine in 3mm.
I agree it’s stupid we can‘t get the stuff like in America, but we managed fine before here was an EU distribution network. I don’t expect this problem to be fixed anytime soon so am planning to build designs that adapt well and work with what we have. Australia has similar issues and there are lots of foamboard fliers there too.

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
The foamboard you have is the same as we do, it’s true that it’s heavier, that’s why you can direct swap 3mm for 5mm to save back the weight. The paper does come off, @CarolineTyler has a great process for taking the paper off.
The problems of weight are much less of an issue in the larger planes, I have both a Sportster and Scout that are made out the heavy board, I just added a little length in the nose and went one size bigger on the motors. More power is always good. Minis can be a problem and you can’t make master series designs out of our board very easily. Minis can be done fine in 3mm.
I agree it’s stupid we can‘t get the stuff like in America, but we managed fine before here was an EU distribution network. I don’t expect this problem to be fixed anytime soon so am planning to build designs that adapt well and work with what we have. Australia has similar issues and there are lots of foamboard fliers there too.
Thanks for the reply, I don't know if we have 3 mm foam here in finnland but as I said the 5 mm stuff is twice as expensive than the ft board so it's still cheaper to pay 80€ for the shipment of a 50-pack of ft board. I'm also planing to mold the nose of my tomcat. Btw I did build the ben harbers f-16 with the heavy stuff and it flew terrible.

FDS

Elite member
Slot or EDF jets are often not good candidates for heavier board because the wing loading is already higher.
I wish they would sort this out for us, I want to build some of the new master series designs and you can’t do that with any of the EU board because it doesn’t flex enough.

Bifi.baarlo

Found some great quality depron for a good price here: https://www.rcwebshop.eu/parts/depron
I cover it on one side with thin adhesive film, it is a little lighter than the flite test foamboard and a great alternative.
just finished the simple stick of this depron.

Attachments

• IMG_20201116_112908_5.jpg
    IMG_20201116_112908_5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20201116_112920_8.jpg
    IMG_20201116_112920_8.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0