FT Freighter- CG?

Tiznom

OK, I know this is my own fault, but my 7 year old daughter REALLY enjoys when I customize planes per her specs/design.
Did a bit of a custom paint job on the FT Freighter that def added weight. That "sparkle" purple came on THICK.

Question is, where is the Center of gravity supposed to be for this plane?
All this paint makes it feel overly tail heavy.

Thanks!
IMG_9153.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ya, you might have shot yourself in the foot there...

my CG is directly behind in-board motors, right on the wire for the motor.

good luck,

me :cool:

Tiznom

good luck,

The real motors or the cosmetic ones? if its right after the bump where the wire channel is on the powered motors, i might actually be ok!

Tiznom

good luck,

Thank you again, I have great news! I got some tungsten weights meant for pinewood derby cars. Needed 0.5 ounces in the nose to make the CG where you indicated. I removed the front landing gear, carved out a space in that hole to put the weight, then installed the gear over the hole for a clean patch. Went out today and it FLEW off the runway!!! Landed without damage too!

Not sure who is more excited it lifted off, me or my daughter, but it flys even with all this added weight!

IMG_9155.jpg

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Thank you again, I have great news! I got some tungsten weights meant for pinewood derby cars. Needed 0.5 ounces in the nose to make the CG where you indicated. I removed the front landing gear, carved out a space in that hole to put the weight, then installed the gear over the hole for a clean patch. Went out today and it FLEW off the runway!!! Landed without damage too!

Not sure who is more excited it lifted off, me or my daughter, but it flys even with all this added weight!

View attachment 170919
You're doing it right; my first FT plane was is bright pink with stars for my daughter.

Bandini

Noob question... I built the FT Freighter a couple of days ago but have not flown it yet. In the mrjdstewart photo, the battery is toward the front, like Josh's assembly video. In Tiznom's photo, the battery is toward the back, like the assembly instructions . This would also turn the controller 180 deg and I thought the orientation of these boards needed to be a certain way. Both fly OK? I'm confused.

Tiznom

If it flys both ways, i guess it doesnt matter. But I think the error is in Josh's assembly video and that the printed instructions are the intent. I know I noticed that the compartment simply fit better per the printed instructions when orientating it that way. It didnt sit flush when I was doing it per the video...have seen some threads on here and in the comments on the youtube video that said to do it per the printed instructions as well.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Noob question... I built the FT Freighter a couple of days ago but have not flown it yet. In the mrjdstewart photo, the battery is toward the front, like Josh's assembly video. In Tiznom's photo, the battery is toward the back, like the assembly instructions . This would also turn the controller 180 deg and I thought the orientation of these boards needed to be a certain way. Both fly OK? I'm confused.

good catch. i hadn't even noticed. it woulds surely help explain some of his tail weight having the battery towards the back. i can safely report that my configuration flies perfect.

laters,