FT Goblin Question

epiper93

So......I’m addicted. Ordered up the Baron speed build kit, love it. Flew it today. Flies great. How hard are the scratch builds to do? I’ve got a bunch of motors and ESC’s laying around I would love to go buy a few sheets of foam board and try to do a scratch build.

Attachments

• C9DCFE5C-A524-4483-93A6-D20089A2CDC6.jpeg
    C9DCFE5C-A524-4483-93A6-D20089A2CDC6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

tomatwalden

So......I’m addicted. Ordered up the Baron speed build kit, love it. Flew it today. Flies great. How hard are the scratch builds to do? I’ve got a bunch of motors and ESC’s laying around I would love to go buy a few sheets of foam board and try to do a scratch build.

Scratch building is pretty easy. It just takes some time to accurately cut out all the pieces and can be a bit laborious I find. Biggest challenge can sometimes be getting hold of the right foam board. I learnt the hard way that different foams can sometimes result in odd CG problems (I scratch built an FT arrow with local foamboard and I had to use lead in the nose to get the CG right).

Do it! Go crazy, building is fun. The only issue I found was that the FT Mini Speedster plans I downloaded from them seem to have been made for Dollar Tree foam board, not their brown waterproof stuff, both of which I have. Turns out the FTFB is thicker than the DTFB and it made a difference in the build, things not fitting just right. If you're a builder and you know about it ahead of time (which I didn't) then you can correct as you go.
Their more recent plans might be for a FTFB build now. Might be good to verify, maybe here on the forum?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Do it! Go crazy, building is fun. The only issue I found was that the FT Mini Speedster plans I downloaded from them seem to have been made for Dollar Tree foam board, not their brown waterproof stuff, both of which I have. Turns out the FTFB is thicker than the DTFB and it made a difference in the build, things not fitting just right. If you're a builder and you know about it ahead of time (which I didn't) then you can correct as you go.
Their more recent plans might be for a FTFB build now. Might be good to verify, maybe here on the forum?
foamboard seems to vary in thickness and length from sheet to sheet.

Schiksie

Building the Goblin from scratch also :) Still wonder why they designed the bottom to be open so you stick the lipo to the "ceiling" ? I now closed the bottom and but a hatch on top to put in the lipo and also made a hatch in the back so i can reach the electronics if needed. Hopefully will have my first flight this saturday :)