FT Goblin Question

epiper93

So, yeah, search feature blah, blah, blah, dont want to answer the question? Delete the post or block me from the forums...Now that that’s over. I am actually building my first FT kit. And actually having a blast doing it. I have one question. I’m typically a balsa, glow/gas guy. So I’m not aware of a few things. Which direction do I want the motor to turn facing me? Since it’s a pusher do I want it turning clock-wise or counter clockwise facing me? Not sure? I’m very aware of how electricity works and know that I can reverse motor direction by switching the wires around at the ESC. Just don’t know which way I want the prop going on a pusher. Thanks ahead of time for any response!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.....I’m typically a balsa, glow/gas guy. So I’m not aware of a few things. Which direction do I want the motor to turn facing me?.....
As a former gas/glow guy myself, electric is totally different. In short, it spins which ever way the prop needs to spin. Both CW or CCW props can be used as a tractor or pusher configuration. Just make the motor spin which ever way the prop needs to spin. The only thing that matters, make sure the numbers on the prop are facing the direction of travel. If you put the numbers face where you been, you only get about 40% of the thrust.

The term pusher prop is obsolete in the electric world.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
One other thing to be aware of is that if the model has a side thrust angle as part of the design then the angle is assumed to suit a CCW prop. You can still use a CW prop but the thrust angle must be reversed, (from right thrust to left thrust), and at the same angle.

Have fun!

epiper93

One other thing to be aware of is that if the model has a side thrust angle as part of the design then the angle is assumed to suit a CCW prop. You can still use a CW prop but the thrust angle must be reversed, (from right thrust to left thrust), and at the same angle.

Have fun!
Anyone know if this applies to the goblin?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As a pusher I do not believe so but the blanket rule of the prop direction not making any difference is incorrect on a standard tractor design. I add the extra info because some newbie could read this thread and get the wrong idea.

Most single engine pushers do not suffer from "P" factor and therefore side thrust is not a requirement though a small angle of up thrust is common!

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
As you being a gas/glow guy you already know about numbers forward on the prop, same applies to a pusher like the goblin. With the numbers forward you can guess which way it needs to turn. There is no thrust angle on the goblin so get the rotation direction based on the prop you are using and go with that. It's a great bird and you will have fun with it, I loved mine. I upscaled it to 130% and put a beefy motor running off a 5450mah 3s on a 9x6, here is some video for your entertainment...

epiper93

As you being a gas/glow guy you already know about numbers forward on the prop, same applies to a pusher like the goblin. With the numbers forward you can guess which way it needs to turn. There is no thrust angle on the goblin so get the rotation direction based on the prop you are using and go with that. It's a great bird and you will have fun with it, I loved mine. I upscaled it to 130% and put a beefy motor running off a 5450mah 3s on a 9x6, here is some video for your entertainment...
that thing is awesome! You have plans? And I’m sorry to come across as such an idiot but I’m struggling with this prop thing. So I currently have the motor running CCW it has standard threads so I would want a CW prop on the motor with the numbers facing the front of the ship or the rear? The im sorry. Still pretty new to electric stuff lol

epiper93

Never mind, just read the “Direction of Travel.” Clause in a previous post, so obviously want them facing the front of the bird. Thank you.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Never mind, just read the “Direction of Travel.” Clause in a previous post, so obviously want them facing the front of the bird. Thank you.
Do you have pics of your prop set up and motor mounted to the bird? The Motor I used has a bolt on prop adapter which uses CW threads and I use tractor rotation props not pusher props. I never had an Issue with the nut backing off. I have used the prop collet style on a few pushers before and only had a prop fall off once before launch, only because I didn't tighten the nut before take off. If you are worried about it you could get a nylon lock nut for peace of mind.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You have plans?
That's just the same goblin upscaled to 130%, I trimmed about 3/4" off the back of the Vstab's so I could clear a 9" prop. I had a lot of trepedation flying it, I was really concerned about the balance. That's why I had the "to hell with it" attitude before I launched it, and why I was so surprised when it flew :LOL:

epiper93

So, I finished it up early this morning. Took it out, 1800 4S. This thing just rips! Gotta be pushing 100 mph. I didn’t paint it at first because I wanted to make sure it would actually fly seeing’s I’ve never built an FT kit. But wow is this thing nice 10/10. Plane is a blast. Decided to paint it this afternoon, hopefully it doesn’t add too much weight.

Attachments

• 727123E6-57C6-4E14-896B-14D641AD1D1B.jpeg
    727123E6-57C6-4E14-896B-14D641AD1D1B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So, I finished it up early this morning. Took it out, 1800 4S. This thing just rips! Gotta be pushing 100 mph. I didn’t paint it at first because I wanted to make sure it would actually fly seeing’s I’ve never built an FT kit. But wow is this thing nice 10/10. Plane is a blast. Decided to paint it this afternoon, hopefully it doesn’t add too much weight.
That looks good, did you paint the bottom the same as the top?

And shame on you for no maiden video :mad::devilish::ROFLMAO:

epiper93

That looks good, did you paint the bottom the same as the top?

And shame on you for no maiden video :mad::devilish::ROFLMAO:
Thanks, I didn’t want to get too carried away with the painting. Bottom is same color but no stripes. And yeah, I’m actually glad I didn’t do a maiden video because I had the rates way too low and almost didn’t get her in. Glad I did. Little plane is awesome.

dutchmonkey

Have fun!
Thanks for this i keep forgetting what is traditionally used as a tractor configuration

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I did just the opposite! I downscaled it to 75% and used it with a motor between the A and F pack and ran it on 4s. Needless to say, it really screamed!
I just rewatched the video, and it makes me want to revisit it, but this time with a 2207 and 6s! :devilish:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I did just the opposite! I downscaled it to 75% and used it with a motor between the A and F pack and ran it on 4s. Needless to say, it really screamed!
I just rewatched the video, and it makes me want to revisit it, but this time with a 2207 and 6s! :devilish:
You my friend are a couple eggs short of a dozen aren't you, bat :poop: crazy!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
For those who want a faster Goblin, just remember that the faster those things go, the less you want the control surfaces to move to change direction. Too much and that sucker's gonna be outta control...I learned that lesson REAL quick with the Strix version of the Nano Goblin...Got that sucker dialed in now, though - 40-50% expo, and Dual Rates anywhere from 55-60% depending on the flight mode. It tracks BEAUTIFULLY. :)