FT Gremlin Programming Issue

Darnell

Hello! Just bought a new gremlin and assembled it and flashed it with beta flight following the old flight test video... And everything was going great until the receiver section. For some reason, it just won't contact or recognize the receiver! It may be the ports or something (First time using Betaflight) but I just don't know. The receiver is bound and apparently was working for a second but when I saved and rebooted it just does nothing. Moving the sticks doesn't work nor do I see any of the colored bars. First time on forums if I did something wrong notify me. I can attach pictures screenshots etc. anything to get to flying.

Darnell

These are the screenshots... Most of the stuff in betaflight doesnt make sense to me. But if you see something wrong please alert me!

Attachments

• Config Tab.PNG
    Config Tab.PNG
    372 KB · Views: 0
  • Ports Tab.PNG
    Ports Tab.PNG
    314.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Reciever Tab.PNG
    Reciever Tab.PNG
    539.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dx9 And Gremlin.jpg
    Dx9 And Gremlin.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 1

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Looks like you have the good olde Firmware/configurator conflict going on. Try flashing to the latest stable firmware and setting up again.

Darnell

Alright, thank you. But when I try to re-flash the firmware I follow the video and short out the boot pads, beta flight does not go into DFU mode? When I plug my board in the blue light goes on but nothing else. I already downloaded the newest stable firmware and checked the things I was told. I will include pictures of flashing firmware screen. Is there anything I am missing? Maybe drivers or something. I am using beta flight chrome app on windows 10. Again Thank you for all this help it really makes it possible to do fun things like build and hopefully finish this gremlin!

Attachments

• Firmware Flasher 2.PNG
    Firmware Flasher 2.PNG
    372.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Firmware Flasher.PNG
    Firmware Flasher.PNG
    418.7 KB · Views: 0

Darnell

Awesome that completely worked and I got all of my programming done. Thanks Again. Now my motors 1,2,4 need to be reversed. I opened up BLheli and connected. Working so far. But when I clicked on the button to read the setup it says errors (Picture one). And after that it says to flash Blheli again and that failed, then to erase settings, that failed and I just can't make sense of it. is there an easier way or should I try to reverse the wires...?

Attachments

• Bl Heli Error.PNG
    Bl Heli Error.PNG
    650.2 KB · Views: 1

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sean is correct. The stock bullet esc's have to be done with the configurator not the suite. SUPER simple to use and set up esc's with.

Darnell

Alright seems like it would work... But when I press connect it just says connection failed "please make sure you have the correct serial port or restart your device" I restarted my laptop and nothing changed. I downloaded the newest windows 64 bit if that matters? If there are no solutions do I just reverse my motor wires?

Attachments

• Bl Heli Config Error.PNG
    Bl Heli Config Error.PNG
    289.2 KB · Views: 0

Darnell

Yeah found that out yesterday. I am attempting to download the two drivers listed if that's the problem. One got downloaded fine but the other is kinda sketchy and is making me enter my credentials n stuff. Is it something else?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
If you can talk to the FC in Betaflight, you should have no problems with BLHeli Configurator, they use the same drivers. Sometimes the USB on these things can be flakey, unplug, plug it back in sometimes helps. Maybe run the driver fixer again. I need to run it every so often because Windows... Worst case, yes you can swap any 2 of the 3 motor wires to reverse it.

Last edited:

RCCola

Hoping to piggyback on this thread, first time post for me. I've been working on an FT Gremlin build slowly, trying to get it wrapped up. I'm having similar issues to what was noted above, and may be my own fault. Running an older Spektrum DX6i with the Gremlin. Same issues as Darnell above. Tried flashing latest firmware, but get the message "no response from the bootloader, programming: Failed". However, I can get everything else to work when connecting to betaflight, setup screen shows board is connected and working, motors tab allow me to spin up the motors to check. My transmitter did appear to bind, just don't get anything in that darn receiver tab for transmitter values. Any specific screencapture would help, or is something already blatently wrong? Really appreciate any help, I'm a little out of my element. I'm more of a mechanical guy.

RCCola

Thanks FDS, I really appreciate the help - took some screenshots of those. Did set the UART3 to SerialRX as TJ stated in the video, anything else look wrong with that? For the config page, I've tried both the 1024 or 2048 options for Spektrum. One thing that looks odd to me is down at the bottom of the betaflight screen, says I2C Error:1

Attachments

• configpage.png
    configpage.png
    177 KB · Views: 0
  • portspage.png
    portspage.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
  • receiverpage.png
    receiverpage.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Agree with above with drivers..

Hiya Sean gettin any flight time in now weathers changing over?

Im in the build, fly, crash, fix, and go fly more aggressively phase. Trying to tune a new build to turn like Vanovers do. Getting closer doing straight runs into orbits around flags and holding 40 to 60 amp range in those orbits. Still washin out too much preppin to try jacobs ladders.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Hiya Sean gettin any flight time in now weathers changing over?

Im in the build, fly, crash, fix, and go fly more aggressively phase. Trying to tune a new build to turn like Vanovers do. Getting closer doing straight runs into orbits around flags and holding 40 to 60 amp range in those orbits. Still washin out too much preppin to try jacobs ladders.

Been getting some stick time in between the usual spring snowstorms ;) Sadly this year the finances are holding me back from pushing myself too hard. I have a good supply of props and motors, but if anything else breaks it's going to have to sit.