FT Gremlin - SP0NZ Build Log

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Keegans TJ Gremlin.png

DISCLAIMER: Some of you may know me or may have heard of me from my work with the Flite Test plans, or some of the foam board airplanes I have designed. Some of you may not have heard of me. Either way, I think I need to start out by clarifying something for everyone who might be interested in following me on this journey I am about to undertake. I am a complete noob when it come to multirotors. I have a nano QX and an Inductrix FPV (needs repairs) that I rarely ever fly. I've never built a multirotor before. I've never designed parts for multirotors before. I am a complete noob.

Now that we have that out of the way, I'm going to be using this thread to share my adventure from my noob perspective of getting into multirotor building, flying and designing with the FT Gremlin. Why the heck would you do that you might ask. Great question, I'm glad you asked. The very same reason I got into flying RC airplanes in the first place. I love the way Flite Test is approaching this DIY micro brushless quad scene. It is very reminiscent of what they did with their cheap foam board planes. And I want to jump in from the perspective of the noob and share my experience. I plan to write a review/build article on the FT Gremlin and when I get done.

I am also going to try my hand at designing a 3D printed FT Gremlin frame that I will share for free (in the true spirit of Flite Test) on Thingiverse if and when it is ready for other people to have success with it. I don't expect any of this to happen over night. I have a lot to learn. I am looking forward to interacting with the Flite Test community along this journey. I am sure I will have a lot of questions along the way. Like I said, I have a lot to learn.

Last but not least, I want to start this out by giving a big THANK YOU to Josh and TJ Williams for getting me a pre-release version of the emax Gremlin Power Pack for this project. You guys rock!

Let the fun begin...

Last edited:

Ross

Excellent! Subscribing to this thread.. I have been thinking of jumping into the multi rotor build thing myself.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh my goodness is this stuff tiny. What have I got myself into? I'm sure glad I picked up a really good soldering station last year. I'm going to need it for this.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Granny glasses are in isle 5 at any local Walmart. The fancier ones are just inside the door by the optical department and they call them "readers". A must for any quad copter build table in my book hehe. GL with the build. It will be interesting to see where you go with the frame design.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Dan, welcome to the dark, deep hole that is multirotors. Get comfortable, I have a feeling you'll be staying for a while ;)

I'd love to help out in anyway I can, including helping designing the 3D parts

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Yeah, Dan drank the kool-aid! Nice timing too.

I like the idea of 3D printing. I just don't have a printer yet. Therefore I'll be taking it down a notch for the common man without Forge or Fabrikator working more common materials (wood, foam, and likely some plexiglass).

As the snow flies AGAIN (expecting only 10") microheli's and micromultirotors are getting in their due flight time.

I wish you well, sir. Subscribed.
—Jim

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So, since I'm new to all of this, I was thinking that I would go with a 95 mm frame. Emax states the power combo pack is designed for quads from 70-95 mm. I'm guessing that 95 mm will be slower and more stable (if only a little bit)?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This stuff is tiny, and the wires delicate. Make sure to leave a little slack on the wires so you are less likely to break one. (ask me how I know :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Quick update. Hoping to print this slightly modified version of TJ's frame for my test build tonight.

TJ-SPONZ Frame v1.png

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Granny glasses are in isle 5 at any local Walmart. The fancier ones are just inside the door by the optical department and they call them "readers". A must for any quad copter build table in my book hehe. GL with the build. It will be interesting to see where you go with the frame design.

+1 :D

Love the red plate design in the center there SPONZ.

Welcome to the nuttier side of FliteTest. :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Looking good Dan, can't wait to see it printed and flying!

BTW - could you share some motor dimensions? I'd love to adapt my frame for the emax stuff but I've seen conflicting data shared about the motor screw pattern. Would also like to know the OD and overall height so I can adjust the size of the motor surrounds on my design to accommodate them. I felt kind of bad hiding my br1103's in the surrounds since they're such pretty little motors...but after a few good crashes I'm glad I protected them. The emax motors aren't as pretty IMHO so I wouldn't feel bad at all about hiding them inside bumpers :D

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Looking good Dan, can't wait to see it printed and flying!

BTW - could you share some motor dimensions? I'd love to adapt my frame for the emax stuff but I've seen conflicting data shared about the motor screw pattern. Would also like to know the OD and overall height so I can adjust the size of the motor surrounds on my design to accommodate them. I felt kind of bad hiding my br1103's in the surrounds since they're such pretty little motors...but after a few good crashes I'm glad I protected them. The emax motors aren't as pretty IMHO so I wouldn't feel bad at all about hiding them inside bumpers :D

I will get you some dimensions over the long weekend. BTW, love your frame design so far.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Got the frame printed last night. Forgot to weigh though. Still need to do that. I'm guessing it's around 14 grams.

TJ-SP0NZ Gremlin Parts.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Looking really good @SP0NZ. As a build addict, it is tough for me not to work on one of these of my own. Must.... Complete.... all.... Other..... stuff....... first.....

Cheers!
LitterBug

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Going with FrSky XM SBUS Micro Receiver for this build (Thanks for the recommendation TJ). I ordered 2 of them, beacause I also ordered one of these:

Baby_Hawk_2_of_10.jpg

The Baby Hawk and my receivers have both already shipped too, so I should have them no later than Monday. :D

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I got the emax BabyHawk flying. What a great sense of accomplishment. One step closer to getting the Gremlin built. Learning a lot so far and loving every minute of the journey.

On a related note, Keegan was flying the NightHawk 280 today (only his 4th or 5th flight); he put it in acro mode and did some flips with it already. Kid can fly circles around his old man. :p