FT Guinea Pig - BUILD

brettp2004

That mini swing wing jet is awesome. It'd be neat to see a rubber band powered swing wing put in the cargo bay. Springs could pop the wings out once it clears the bay, and the pre-wound prop would start going once it got out as well. Anyone up for the challenge? If I had the guinea built I might give it a try.

Hell2Go

My son keeps asking for me to print out the plans for that mini jet so he can build it while I build the Guinea Pig... anyone seen a plan for it yet?

Thankyou SPONZ and nerdnic for all you do for the community, we all hope you guys never feel under appreciated for your efforts, and I hope we all help to support you both with a little donation now and again.

buildlite

Guinea Pig CG

I just received my Guinea Pig and can't wait to start it. I noticed that the label indicates a CG of 2.2" or 1000mm from the leading edge. I know that neither of these is correct and suspect that the CG should be maybe 4" or 100mm. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Partsman

Guinea wing spare

When building the wing I decided to change the wing spar.
I assembled one of the outer spars and cut it half
Then I built a 30" version and gluded it centred on the wing followed by gluing the two outer spar halves on each end
A wooden yardstick fits nicely in the channel of the new spar setup

nlit3n

They weren't lieing about need a powerful glue gun for this build. Mine released its magic smoke right as I was getting to the tail section. Oh well time for better one.

McGuffyGuffy

After watching the videos of the Guinea Pig flying and some of the build I'm really impressed! I've put all my other projects on hold, joined this forum and even now am taping together the tiled plans. Traveling to the other side of Perth to get Depron tomorrow.
Love your work guys !! :)

jeffbuck

anyone else flying this thing? I've been flying mine with my 3s 2200's and i'm barely getting 5 minute flights.....what batteries are you guys using?

nlit3n

Almost done building. I was planning on using a 2200 so I will let you know my flight times. 1.jpg

jeffbuck

Just took mine out for some lunch flying again and practicing some flat spins..........She flies awesome until a prop comes flying off mid spin . She doesnt recover well with only one prop.
Splat right on a gravel drive. Time for a new nose and some reinforcement on the tail. Its got a floppy stabilizer on one side but other than that it held together pretty well considering.
I guess i'll have to put some lock tight on the nuts holding the props on .

nlit3n

Jeffbuck I got around 6 min flight. Which makes sense running 2 motors. It did take 2 2200s for me to balance it out so Im just gonna run then in parallel. I was blown away how fast it will leap off the ground. Now I have to find more things to drop.

jeffbuck

I like dropping "paper helicopters" cheap and easy and you can put a ton of them in there. Just a pain to clean up after

nlit3n

That's a great idea. The bad thing about this plane is now Im constantly looking for things to drop. I just about got her all dialed in, I really like this plane a lot Peter did an amazing job on this design. The art work was by my daughter. She was so happy with it she asked to be credited on the video.

Last edited:

jimbo

I'm looking to scratch-build one of these soon. Has anyone come across good methods for opening AND closing the cargo door? As far as I can tell the FT design releases, but never closes up. Without some kind of crazy contraption, I don't see how a standard servo can achieve the travel required to open the cargo door fully.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I'm looking to scratch-build one of these soon. Has anyone come across good methods for opening AND closing the cargo door? As far as I can tell the FT design releases, but never closes up. Without some kind of crazy contraption, I don't see how a standard servo can achieve the travel required to open the cargo door fully.

Check my blog post on my mini Guinea build. I have a simple and so far effective cargo door method that keeps the cargo bay clear.

Also I think nevenelestate (post above) has a version on his mini Guinea that opens and closes the cargo door.

Last edited:
Would the motors that come with the Lazer toys FT cruiser pack be enough oomph for the guinea pig? Seems they would, but I am not sure what all up weight of the Guinea pig is.