FT Guinea Pig - BUILD

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
My GuineaPig build is coming to be finished soon. Some minor work on the wing and go.
I tried to make the cargo door open/close with one servo and magnets, but was not satisfied, works better with two servos. I also added a tow release mecanism which can be removed (as it is on a big velcro tape) for more space. After some mesurements, turns out the wltoys a999 1/24 4x4 car would fits in...and can get out (1050mm vs 950mm large). now waiting for banggxxd :D
I took the video before glueing the wheel fairings, so the servo location is obvious to see.

Video contains
Slide 1 : internal cargo view (servos covers)
Slide 2 : underside
Open/Close sequence
Slide 3 : servo location without fairing
Slide 4 : front view (note door stop at the far end preventing door going 'inside')

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
how are the servos used, to open and close the hatch?

Servos are connected to FrSky X6R (wing got a s.bus 4x channel decoder for itself), each got his channel (one is reverse, so at one point, my servo tester isn't good anymore for testing, must use Rx+Tx for tests). Installed them with horns horizontal and door at mid position. The shorts control rods are fitted with ball-joints at each end. A carbon rod is taped under the door and goes through both ball joints (rotation free). Cover servos with 'carbon like' paper (coming from ImmersionRC vTx box) to avoid contact with cargo load. Added 4 seconds "slow- down" function with Taranis for both servos.
Closed door position is servos full up position.
Door at mid position (level) = servos at mid position.
Door on the floor = 50% servos down.
Servos full down = too much throw on the ground, but can act as a big airbrake.

Partsman

Guinea nose

My Guinea fly great !
Me not so much , time for a new nose
Has anybody designed a different look nose ie c119 ?

monterx7

I fly out at a sod farm and it does a number on my landing gear. the rear axle has become loose inside the folded up foam board, and the nose gear did nothing but make the pig come to a complete stop, once it touched the grass. i figured the nose issue was due to the wheel being so small. I upgraded to bigger nose wheels, nothing drastic, and still the same issue. im guessing that the grass is just too much for the size of wheels that im using. has anyone modified their landing gear, front and rear, at all?

Mackspower

Rudder question...

I love this model! I would love to build one someday. I've been wondering about the tail... why is there only one rudder in the center? Would it fly poorly with dual rudders on the ends of the horizontal stabilizer or is it just for simplicity? Just something I've been curious about. :D

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
My buddy (mhancock19) built his second Guinea Pig, first one had some "rough landings," and last night we headed out to a local park to maiden it. The grass wasn't mowed recently so after the first rolling take off being rather rough, I hand launched it for him the later flights also. To protect the plane on landing he laid it down in the extra tall grass. He rigged the cargo door up to open only, however he has been able to flip over and re-latch it a few times. He is going to be starting a build thread for it soon, but in the mean time here are a few pics in flight and video of dropping some stuff.

IMG_0715b_zpsrhhrjna5.jpg

IMG_0719b_zpsg1d8mo5r.jpg

IMG_0726b_zps4rnez4xi.jpg

Last edited:

Mackspower

Finally starting my build of this big beautiful beast! Is there some advantage of having the a single rudder and two vertical stabilizers on the ends of the horizontal stabilizer? I was curious if you could get more yaw authority with two rudders and no center vertical stabilizer since both rudders would be in prop wash. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

20151229_143235.jpg

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Finally starting my build of this big beautiful beast! Is there some advantage of having the a single rudder and two vertical stabilizers on the ends of the horizontal stabilizer? I was curious if you could get more yaw authority with two rudders and no center vertical stabilizer since both rudders would be in prop wash. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

View attachment 60361

I believe the reason that the Guinea only has one rudder is simplicity. You can do the dual rudders and will get much more yaw input, but it takes two servos, more weight, or linking the rudders together.

I did this on my Mini Guinea inspired Sea Duck build and it could almost flat spin from just the rudders, of course I added differential thrust to really make her spin. Here is a link to the first post in the build thread that references how I linked the rudders http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...lSpin-Sea-Duck&p=173777&viewfull=1#post173777

IMG_0015_zpszdiq8htc.jpg

jpb165

help with guinea pig

I was wandering if there is any info on setting up cargo door ....I have tried a couple different scenarios. I keep stripping servos

Mackspower

I believe the reason that the Guinea only has one rudder is simplicity. You can do the dual rudders and will get much more yaw input, but it takes two servos, more weight, or linking the rudders together.

I did this on my Mini Guinea inspired Sea Duck build and it could almost flat spin from just the rudders, of course I added differential thrust to really make her spin. Here is a link to the first post in the build thread that references how I linked the rudders http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...lSpin-Sea-Duck&p=173777&viewfull=1#post173777

That's kind of how I imagined doing it. I have mine built with the tail in the plans and have yet to maiden it. Waiting on the weather. I may use your rudder control design on my next build though. I have a DX6i radio so I'm a bit limited on differential thrust. Thank you for the input! I imagined it would really increase rudder authority, but it's nice to hear it from someone with first-hand experience.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
That's kind of how I imagined doing it. I have mine built with the tail in the plans and have yet to maiden it. Waiting on the weather. I may use your rudder control design on my next build though. I have a DX6i radio so I'm a bit limited on differential thrust. Thank you for the input! I imagined it would really increase rudder authority, but it's nice to hear it from someone with first-hand experience.

only thing I suggest, and did on the second version of the plane above, is to put the linkage rod for rudder to rudder much closer to the servo control horn.

Here is a picture of the second version of the wing/booms/tail.
IMG_20150311_222120910_zpsfjbln6fw.jpg

tamuct01

I was wandering if there is any info on setting up cargo door ....I have tried a couple different scenarios. I keep stripping servos

I did mine by gluing a 9gr servo underneath and behind the main gear. It's linked to the door via a popsicle stick for a control horn and short pushrod. I saw someone else's design on here that puts the servo inside the bay.

Stubby

Need help on programming mixing on a Hite7 ch Eclipse 7 Pro Guinea Pig

I am new to differential thrust and need a little guidance on setting up my Hitech Eclipse 7 Pro for the Guinea Pig (question mark) Dang keyboard.

BTW, Hi to everyone first post.

John