FT indoor flying - newbie needs help :)

Jakup

Hi all,

I finished my first build (nutball) about a month ago and had my first flight ever then. But it's a bit on the heavy side (210g). It was made from 6mm depron, since I can't get dollartree foam here. I'm now going to try and made a lighter nutball from 3mm depron, and use even lighter electronics.

My question is, if there is a FT plane, which is better suited to flying indoor? For example, are any of the new Mighty mini's better for indoor flying.....can you fly really slow with any of them?

I'm a member of a local rc club, and we have just started this autumn with indoor flying. We rent a double gym, but it's a bit on the small side :) So I want a plane that can fly slowly, and I want to build it myself. (scratch or FT-kit)

Jákup

Faroe Islands

T-Richard

I flew an FT mini scout indoors, mine is fast but i have a big 3 cell and built heavy. I am building a lighter mini speedster but will likely overpower it as is my preference. It can slow down nicely. If you keep it light and go with small battery and use minimal glue or lighter glue (like gorilla glue or foam tac) I am sure the minis are perfect for indoors.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
I took several measures to keep the weight down on my FT Mini Scout build, and it resulted in excellent slow-flying capability for indoors. Build description here (AUW 127 grams).

Jakup

I took several measures to keep the weight down on my FT Mini Scout build, and it resulted in excellent slow-flying capability for indoors. Build description here (AUW 127 grams).

Very interresting.

Is there a lot of difference in weight between Gourilla Glue and Hot glue?

Jakup

I flew an FT mini scout indoors, mine is fast but i have a big 3 cell and built heavy. I am building a lighter mini speedster but will likely overpower it as is my preference. It can slow down nicely. If you keep it light and go with small battery and use minimal glue or lighter glue (like gorilla glue or foam tac) I am sure the minis are perfect for indoors.

Thank you for your answer.

Which is easier to build, the mini Scout or the mini Speedster? And which is better at slow flying?

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Very interresting.

Is there a lot of difference in weight between Gourilla Glue and Hot glue?

With Gorilla glue, you can use just a tiny amount of liquid and let it foam up to fill the cracks and crevices. So the glue joint is mostly air bubbles. Yet it holds just as strongly as hot glue (where you have to entirely fill the glue joint with liquid!). In Flitetest-model builds, there are lots of glue joins to be made where there is lots of empty space to fill in the joined area -- like those fold-over creases in the wings, or the "A" and "B" folds in the fuse. So that just increases the weight difference between using one type of glue or the other.

Last edited:

T-Richard

Mini Scout is easier to build. I've built both. The polyhedral and wheel pants make the mini speedster slightly harder

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the flyer yet. It is a tad on the large side for small indoor venues, but it can fly just as slow as the minis and still handle some wind for when outdoor season comes around.

Jakup

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the flyer yet. It is a tad on the large side for small indoor venues, but it can fly just as slow as the minis and still handle some wind for when outdoor season comes around.

hmm very interresting........Is it easy to build?

Jákup :)