FT LongEZ Insanity!

Headbang

Master member
I used this design to dial in my mpcnc needle cutter. So I have 10 of them cut out. I think this will be a design I always carry with me. It weighs in at 200 grams with battery, so i can fly it legally in most places!

FDS

Elite member
I have one cut out but it’s heavy UK foamboard, I think it will have even less of a glide slope!
I made 12 with kids at work so am pretty familiar with it. Do you reinforce the leading edge of the canard? Lots of mine broke there when used as chuck gliders.

Headbang

Master member
I have one cut out but it’s heavy UK foamboard, I think it will have even less of a glide slope!
I made 12 with kids at work so am pretty familiar with it. Do you reinforce the leading edge of the canard? Lots of mine broke there when used as chuck gliders.
I have a bbq skewer in the leading edge of the canard, and now have one under the wing. Future versions I will put one on the top of the wing right off the bat to avoid it getting crinkly and folding. Note, I used only white gorilla glue on that one, hot glue would push the weight up by 50 to 100grams. I use a 3S 800mAh 35C pack.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Right, I will use lighter glue on mine too then. Any chance of a few pics of the skewer positions, I put one on the canard leading edge already.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i think mine lasted about 3 flights. i had recycled the servos from another build and one froze in flight. in most cases a good pilot can fly out of that, but with an elevon setup your chances are about ZERO and best hope is for a soft landing. which of course it wasn't. :eek:

i have a new one cut out w/ Rasterize's new skins but haven't built it yet. i have too many airplanes as it is.

keep flying low and fast. it's the only way! ;)

laters,

me :cool:

Headbang

Master member
Right, I will use lighter glue on mine too then. Any chance of a few pics of the skewer positions, I put one on the canard leading edge already.
I'll try and grab a few pics on the bench tomorrow. Canard skewer is on the leading edge, wing I put where it made sense for the crinkles that were forming.

Headbang

Master member
Sorry it took so long, getting my new prusa mk3 up and running has had me preoccupied.

Next time I would put the skewer for the wing on the top while I built it. Or make a channel for it on the bottom.
20190124_195440.jpg 20190124_195458.jpg

FDS

Elite member
A channel in the wing for a spar sounds like a great idea. I will try that on mine.

ssterling

Well, I built one as my first RC plane ever. I tried it with power pack A and a 3s 850mah battery and it spun to the left on takeoff and crashed upside down or sideways the first 3 times. I figured it was the engine torque. I repaired the canard and tried a 2s instead. Now it flies straight but I can’t climb. I took off the battery cover to reduce weight and now it climbs a little but as soon as I bank at all, it falls.

Not sure why my plane seems over weight or underpowered.

Headbang

Master member
Well, I built one as my first RC plane ever. I tried it with power pack A and a 3s 850mah battery and it spun to the left on takeoff and crashed upside down or sideways the first 3 times. I figured it was the engine torque. I repaired the canard and tried a 2s instead. Now it flies straight but I can’t climb. I took off the battery cover to reduce weight and now it climbs a little but as soon as I bank at all, it falls.

Not sure why my plane seems over weight or underpowered.
So first off. This plane is a handful, nothing forgiving, you need to be on it all the time. As a first plane ever.... you are sort of doomed from the start. This plane does not have lift in a traditional sense, it needs speed to stay aloft, any extra wieght will make even worse, it does not glide at all really. In your case you need the original 3s battery (same one I use). I have no torque roll issues with 3s 800mAh and an A pack with stock prop. The fall out the sky issues is just a lack of speed. You are stalling.

ssterling

As a first plane ever.... you are sort of doomed from the start.

LOL. Well, at least I know the problem.

This plane does not have lift in a traditional sense, it needs speed to stay aloft, any extra wieght will make even worse, it does not glide at all really. In your case you need the original 3s battery.

I’m thinking of going back to 3s. I also like your skewer reinforcement idea. I’m actually the teacher of a class of high school students, trying to stay ahead of them on this project. They are building either the Tiny Trainer, F22, or LongEZ.

GMalatrasi

I've flown... umm launched mine 4-5 times now, crashed 4-5 times.
Busted canard a couple times, and now the main wing folded.
Kinda makes me want to cut the wing out of foam core carbon since it's a flat sheet.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I’m actually the teacher of a class of high school students, trying to stay ahead of them on this project. They are building either the Tiny Trainer, F22, or LongEZ.
Are you teaching flight or RC? (both)