FT Maker Foamboard

richb2599

Has anyone had a chance to build with the new Maker Foamboard? I'd like to give it a try but it would be nice to hear from someone who has used it. I realize it just became available so this might be too soon to get any input. I definitely like the white color and that it is water resistant but I wonder about the workability like how does it cut, peel the paper, etc.

skymaster

Elite member
I think the maker foam board was made more for the master series. more thick than the regular. why are they making the master series alot bigger than the one's we usually build? I think they are nice, but has any one scaled one down. it's going to be a little tedius getting them to the field. i still like the regular foam. good luck with your builds.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Has anyone had a chance to build with the new Maker Foamboard? I'd like to give it a try but it would be nice to hear from someone who has used it. I realize it just became available so this might be too soon to get any input. I definitely like the white color and that it is water resistant but I wonder about the workability like how does it cut, peel the paper, etc.
There are other ways to waterproof FB then just going with FTFB or maker FB. So if you want to scale one down you could go with the usual DTFB if you like the lighter weight or how it works to build with.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
There are other ways to waterproof FB then just going with FTFB or maker FB. So if you want to scale one down you could go with the usual DTFB if you like the lighter weight or how it works to build with.
I recall a good Youtube vid about waterproofing fb, by some guy named Chris something. ;) LOL!

Captain Jay

Elite member
I just spray paint my entire plane with Rust Oleum. Seems to do a good job of waterproofing against rain or wet grass. I dont know about floats..

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I just spray paint my entire plane with Rust Oleum. Seems to do a good job of waterproofing against rain or wet grass. I dont know about floats..
I noticed that too. water just beds right off. Especially if you use some clear coat over the top of the paint. I find that if I minwax as a primer the paper or the FB is more paint ready, as long as you use an oil base minwax, won't wrinkle or warp the paper. That's why I am interested in seeing how well oil based primer works, if it does the same thing, might be easier to apply, then the brush on wipe off deal.

Captain Jay

Elite member
I noticed that too. water just beds right off. Especially if you use some clear coat over the top of the paint. I find that if I minwax as a primer the paper or the FB is more paint ready, as long as you use an oil base minwax, won't wrinkle or warp the paper. That's why I am interested in seeing how well oil based primer works, if it does the same thing, might be easier to apply, then the brush on wipe off deal.
I take into consideration that paint is heavy. If I can 1 coat the bottom of a plane one color and 1 coat the top another color then just a few strips or details and that's it. A plane can gain a few ounces very quickly with paint. Just get the gloss colors and you won't need clear coat at all... I've never had issue with Rust Oleum eating the foam either...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I take into consideration that paint is heavy. If I can 1 coat the bottom of a plane one color and 1 coat the top another color then just a few strips or details and that's it. A plane can gain a few ounces very quickly with paint. Just get the gloss colors and you won't need clear coat at all... I've never had issue with Rust Oleum eating the foam either...
I am of the philosophy of weight isn't a bad thing if it is used right. People have told me that I take weight penalties on my planes, and they aren't wrong, I do but the motor package I use on my standard size planes is more powerful the what FT offers in the C pack, plus extra weight helps in windier conditions for stability and penetration. I have built light planes and I find them to be wiry even in a slight breeze. I like to control the plane not just react to what the wind does to it. Everyone has their own particular tastes as to how they set things up.

Captain Jay

Elite member
I am of the philosophy of weight isn't a bad thing if it is used right. People have told me that I take weight penalties on my planes, and they aren't wrong, I do but the motor package I use on my standard size planes is more powerful the what FT offers in the C pack, plus extra weight helps in windier conditions for stability and penetration. I have built light planes and I find them to be wiry even in a slight breeze. I like to control the plane not just react to what the wind does to it. Everyone has their own particular tastes as to how they set things up.
Your right about that!!! I've had a few light plane and they can be a handful in windy conditions. Weight can definitely provide a steadier flight all around.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I think the maker foam board was made more for the master series. more thick than the regular. why are they making the master series alot bigger than the one's we usually build? I think they are nice, but has any one scaled one down. it's going to be a little tedius getting them to the field. i still like the regular foam. good luck with your builds.
The maker foam is replacing FT foam, and it comes in normal 5mm thickness and the larger stuff for monster series planes. The foam is a nice upgrade since they put a lot of focus on making it flat, and the white paper is translucent for night flyers, and it's still waterproof.