FT Master Series Spitfire control throw settings

Geronimo

Hi guys, I took the (nearly) finished Spitfire for a maiden today and found the controls seemed too extreme. I built the kit using the build video so I'm assuming the control throws are in the ball park. I did not put any expo in before the flight, and now I have 30% for all 3 AE&R.

But what should the throw angles be set at? I never see anything discussed about this. My current throws are 22 degrees for the ailerons and 25 degrees for the elevator (I measured them very accurately).

Also, for the ailerons, I'm assuming that because of the flat bottom airfoil the aileron should go up more than down, which is easy to adjust via the servo arm.

Thank you!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The amount of throw is a matter of personal choice, some like more than others. I would turn the throws down to make the plane fly the way you want it to.

The up aileron should always go up more than the down one goes down. This is true regardless of the airfoil, it's to prevent adverse yaw. You want more drag on the up side to help pull the plane around the turn.

Geronimo

The amount of throw is a matter of personal choice, some like more than others. I would turn the throws down to make the plane fly the way you want it to.

The up aileron should always go up more than the down one goes down. This is true regardless of the airfoil, it's to prevent adverse yaw. You want more drag on the up side to help pull the plane around the turn.
Thanks a lot Merv. I also found a reference that said to start with 15-20 degrees throw as a starting point. It was a reference to servo arm selection and the moments at both ends of the control rod.

Geronimo

According to the plans the throws are supposed to be 12 degrees. This is a measurement of the control surfaces themselves regardless which holes you use on the servo arm/control horn. Don't forget to put in 30% expo.

Keep in mind this is just a staring point, everyone will have a personal preference.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/ft-spitfire-master-series.122/
Wow! 12 degrees? I had to open the plans just to verify it. I can't believe they leave that out of the build video. They clearly show using the outer hole on the single servo arm at the servo. Doubling the throw angle like that would result in nearly 4 times the aerodynamic force. Well that certainly explains it. Even after I added the 30% expo after the first flight it was still just barely within my ability to fly it at half throttle. Thanks for pointing that out @Sero ! Now I know to go get the plans even though I bought a kit.

Sero

Elite member
Wow! 12 degrees? I had to open the plans just to verify it. I can't believe they leave that out of the build video. They clearly show using the outer hole on the single servo arm at the servo. Doubling the throw angle like that would result in nearly 4 times the aerodynamic force. Well that certainly explains it. Even after I added the 30% expo after the first flight it was still just barely within my ability to fly it at half throttle. Thanks for pointing that out @Sero ! Now I know to go get the plans even though I bought a kit.

Glad that was helpful.
Generally the recommended linkage installation will get you in the ball park but then you need to adjust the throws in the transmitter. It doesn't look like there is a throw gauge in the plans for the MS Spitfire, you can always look through the plans for other FT plans that have throw gauges to see what has a 12 degree gauge and print that off. Something like the regular non MS FT Mustang probably would be a good start.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

Geronimo

Glad that was helpful.
Generally the recommended linkage installation will get you in the ball park but then you need to adjust the throws in the transmitter. It doesn't look like there is a throw gauge in the plans for the MS Spitfire, you can always look through the plans for other FT plans that have throw gauges to see what has a 12 degree gauge and print that off. Something like the regular non MS FT Mustang probably would be a good start.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/
Good to know! I have tools to check and adjust those angles, but I can't help but wonder how someone new to the hobby does with a wild maiden due to crazy control deflections.

Sero

Elite member
Good to know! I have tools to check and adjust those angles, but I can't help but wonder how someone new to the hobby does with a wild maiden due to crazy control deflections.

Yes that crossed my mind too. Perhaps because its a master series they figure the builder has been through that process before.

Good luck!

mariocaptain

According to the plans the throws are supposed to be 12 degrees. This is a measurement of the control surfaces themselves regardless which holes you use on the servo arm/control horn. Don't forget to put in 30% expo.

Keep in mind this is just a staring point, everyone will have a personal preference.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/ft-spitfire-master-series.122/
For the Simple Cub, the plans state that the throws are all 12 deg. But when I measure rhe throw gauge, it's 21 deg for LOW and 27 deg for HIGH. So I am very confused.