FT Mighty Mini Commuter kit?

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
No and yes. No it will not benefit from a gyro and yes there is room for one if you want it.
But if I were you I wouldn’t sweat it and just pick a plane, build it, and fly it. If it crashes, big deal, build another!! But I think you should start with a Kadet or a Commuter. One or the other. The Commuter is not too small. I didn’t have any trouble with it and that was the plane I learned on too.
I was in your same situation when I chose the Commuter and I am very glad I did. Even though it was harder to make I ended up saving time because it lasted so long.

Bigeard

But if I were you I wouldn’t sweat it and just pick a plane, build it, and fly it. If it crashes, big deal, build another!! But I think you should start with a Kadet or a Commuter. One or the other. The Commuter is not too small. I didn’t have any trouble with it and that was the plane I learned on too.
I was in your same situation when I chose the Commuter and I am very glad I did. Even though it was harder to make I ended up saving time because it lasted so long.
Think its likely I will go with the commuter . thanks

Do you think the Commuter would benefit from one of those self stabilising / gyro systems and would it actually fit into the fuselage ?
Thanks
The Aura 5 Lite might fit. It would help especially with any wind on a model that small.
It doesn't matter if it fits. It will not help. Not if you're of the belief that flying isn't hard - and it isn't - and you should learn to fly before you add layers of electronic complication to the operation. A gyro isn't a plug & play thing, it takes some setup and it's easy to get overwhelmed with the device instead of what you're here for. Certain of these FT planes are made to learn on, not made to learn on with an Aura installed. Select the right FT plane. Full stop.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
To Aura or not to Aura, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler......... Oh, never mind.
My experience with it is that it's not plug and play for a first time user. I like it a lot but I had to put it in my Explorer that was already flying well to sort out how to use it and what to expect when I put it in a plane I hadn't flown successfully (yet). I had a lousy experience with it the first time I used it and didn't know if it was the Aura set up, my plane or my flying or some combination. I shelved it for 6 months before I tried it again on a known good plane that I knew I could fly.

My experience with it is that it's not plug and play for a first time user. I like it a lot but I had to put it in my Explorer that was already flying well to sort out how to use it and what to expect when I put it in a plane I hadn't flown successfully (yet). I had a lousy experience with it the first time I used it and didn't know if it was the Aura set up, my plane or my flying or some combination. I shelved it for 6 months before I tried it again on a known good plane that I knew I could fly.
(y) Try having that experience while trying to build and fly your very first plane. Me? I'm sure not that gifted, no matter how awesome I think I am. :D

Burnhard

I had a similar experience with my first aircraft (a tiny trainer). I put in a cheap three axis gyro and got it trimmed the wrong way (till now I don‘t understand the manual for this one). First three flights all crashed in a corn field after about 10 seconds in the air and lots of battling with the controls. Before I left the field that day I took out the gyro and suddenly it worked.

I also have a few receivers with build in Gyros. It took me quite a while to get these calibrated the right way. After that I put these on the dial functions of my transmitter so that I can set in flight how strong they react. Certainly nothing for a beginner.

I have become a fan of the Aura lately. The six axis mode makes flying very easy. I installed one in my first Viggen and that completely changed the aircraft. I have installed Auras in all my EDF aircraft as for me it makes them more controllable. On the downside, the extra stability comes at the cost of a rather limited maneuverability so I tend to switch it off after launch (mostly use the launch assist when handlaunching).

Completely agree that the setup is not so easy (Josh makes it look easy but I had to program all Auras through the Windows config software which also requires a bit of trial and error). For that you will need to understand what the Aura is supposed to do in what situation.

Instead of a flight stabilization I would rather pick a reasonably slow flying aircraft and practice with that. For the first flights I would consider a place with rather high grass or a corn field or similar. You will probably hand launch as launching from the ground needs a bit of practice (you will need to trim your rudder first as otherwise you will crash on the ground the first time). The high grass or corn field will be beneficial for the first landings (If possible you should consider adding the landing gear only after a few flights. Landing gears of course look good but unless you are landing on a street or mown lawn, you have a good chance of ripping away the landing gear on landing and for your first landings you will need a bit of space. Its not so easy to land on a 2m wide strip as it looks in the videos and landing on a paved ground always comes with the risk of a harder hit in case of a crash.

Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat.

I had a similar experience with my first aircraft (a tiny trainer). I put in a cheap three axis gyro and got it trimmed the wrong way (till now I don‘t understand the manual for this one). First three flights all crashed in a corn field after about 10 seconds in the air and lots of battling with the controls. Before I left the field that day I took out the gyro and suddenly it worked.

I also have a few receivers with build in Gyros. It took me quite a while to get these calibrated the right way. After that I put these on the dial functions of my transmitter so that I can set in flight how strong they react. Certainly nothing for a beginner.

I have become a fan of the Aura lately. The six axis mode makes flying very easy. I installed one in my first Viggen and that completely changed the aircraft. I have installed Auras in all my EDF aircraft as for me it makes them more controllable. On the downside, the extra stability comes at the cost of a rather limited maneuverability so I tend to switch it off after launch (mostly use the launch assist when handlaunching).

Completely agree that the setup is not so easy (Josh makes it look easy but I had to program all Auras through the Windows config software which also requires a bit of trial and error). For that you will need to understand what the Aura is supposed to do in what situation.

Instead of a flight stabilization I would rather pick a reasonably slow flying aircraft and practice with that. For the first flights I would consider a place with rather high grass or a corn field or similar. You will probably hand launch as launching from the ground needs a bit of practice (you will need to trim your rudder first as otherwise you will crash on the ground the first time). The high grass or corn field will be beneficial for the first landings (If possible you should consider adding the landing gear only after a few flights. Landing gears of course look good but unless you are landing on a street or mown lawn, you have a good chance of ripping away the landing gear on landing and for your first landings you will need a bit of space. Its not so easy to land on a 2m wide strip as it looks in the videos and landing on a paved ground always comes with the risk of a harder hit in case of a crash.

Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat.
You should come around more often Mr. Burnhard. This stuff is exactly what's needed to breath new (old?) life into this forum. I'm gonna read that before sleep tonight.
"Once upon a time I had a similar experience with my first aircraft (a tiny trainer). I put in a cheap three axis gyro..."

CappyAmeric

Elite member
It doesn't matter if it fits. It will not help. Not if you're of the belief that flying isn't hard - and it isn't - and you should learn to fly before you add layers of electronic complication to the operation. A gyro isn't a plug & play thing, it takes some setup and it's easy to get overwhelmed with the device instead of what you're here for. Certain of these FT planes are made to learn on, not made to learn on with an Aura installed. Select the right FT plane. Full stop.
I think the benefit of the Aura on the FT Commuter for a new pilot is because it is so small. An important benefit of stabilization for new pilots is for flying light models in wind (or even a light breeze). Even if Aura is not used for launch assist or crash protection, there is a true benefit for a new pilot to know that not all the movements of the model are coming from them. That is why larger models make better trainers for first timers, IMHO.

Crashing may be an important part of learning the hobby, but success is a better teacher than failure.

Last edited:
I think the benefit of the Aura on the FT Commuter for a new pilot is because it is so small. An important benefit of stabilization for new pilots is for flying light models in wind (or even a light breeze). Even if Aura is not used for launch assist or crash protection, there is a true benefit for a new pilot to know that not all the movements of the model are not coming from them. That is why larger models make better trainers for first timers, IMHO.

Crashing may be an important part of learning the hobby, but success is a better teacher than failure.
How about flying not so light models in something less than a light breeze.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I think the benefit of the Aura on the FT Commuter for a new pilot is because it is so small. An important benefit of stabilization for new pilots is for flying light models in wind (or even a light breeze). Even if Aura is not used for launch assist or crash protection, there is a true benefit for a new pilot to know that not all the movements of the model are not coming from them. That is why larger models make better trainers for first timers, IMHO.

It handles breezes fine. My third successful flight was in 25mph winds and I still managed to fly it for a full battery and land.

Battery800

Elite member
Hi , the actual build would not present any problems as Ive made various types of models for many years but I was interested in your comment about it being too small forfirst timers ? could you explain a little more please .
I would say that the tiny trainer or the simple scout would be better. They are both bigger and the scout at least is a lot simpler to build, and uses mostly right angle. I also did not have good experiences with either of my commuters.