FT MIGHTY MINI CORSAIR Motor/Prop/ESC/BEC Help

ravision

I am looking to build the FT MIGHTY MINI CORSAIR and currently have a mini-powerpod with this

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/a-series-motors/brushless-motor-300-28-12-1400kv-suppo-2204-14

motor on it running a 6x5.5 prop with a 10A ESC. Will this setup work with the Corsair. I don't want a bigger motor such as the one that FT recommends because I still consider myself a beginner and want to get comfortable with the air frame before I jump up to speed.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

ravision

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Revision,

First off, Welcome to the forum!

The motor linked is a bit lower power and about 2/3 the speed of the Flite Pack F motor FT recommends.

I think you can probably get away with it, but looking at the test data a 6x5.5 probably isn't the best choice. While you'll get a decent pitch speed (theoretical maximum speed for a given RPM at the given pitch) your thrust will be fairly low. Bumping up to a shallower 7" prop -- like a 7x3.5" -- you'll get nearly 30% more thrust and with the big drop in pitch you'll still get a lower current draw. Top speed won't be as high, but that's not always a bad thing. 7x4 will give you even more thrust with a bump in speed, but you'll have to be conservative about flying WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

That being said . . . I have not flown this plane, but beware of "Warbird Tendencies". Most warbirds were designed to be agile and fast. They may still have wide speed envelopes, but that combination has made many of these planes twitchy and unfriendly in stalls. This may be a touch better than a true scale model would fly -- haven't flown it to know -- but be cautious of it. You don't need to go blazingly fast to have a good experience, but do keep your speed up, fly with plenty of room, plenty of altitude and keep your turns wide until you're comfortable with it.