FT mighty mini F6F hellcat build experience.

themistocles3

I just finished the assembly. I love FT. But...this plane was almost tossed halfway in. I bought it at FF this year. I found a lot to be desired from the kit. I have built DIY, kits, from plans before. Admittedly, this was my first attempt at a mater series. I did watch the build vid several times before attempt was made. Take aways:

1. No motor mount screws. Bolts in the f pack alone were not useful for this build. Had to source them myself.(review full kit contents for completeness and relevance)
2. The motor mount itself required modification for alignment. Bolt heads impede mount orientation.(redesign it)
3. Panel alignment was beyond wonky. Some were fitted carefully only to end up yawing off in odd directions causing alignment issues.(see #2)
4. The build video was the worst yet. Leaving out massive sections like motor mounting with the new XM system.(links to that section?).
5. Magnets wouldn't accept glue and ended up using Velcro. Not the end of the world but was par for the course on this model.(redesign it)
6. Tail feathers. This was not a master series. This was a see how much they can take before they just go buy an RTF or BNF because they are sick of fighting it kit.(redesign it)
7. Elevator movement was hindered by the body and vertical stabilizer. Fixable but why.(redesign)
8. Control horns are now molded plastic but do not line up well with the hinges. Can be fixed but with a kit like this why should we have to?(Redesign)
9. YMMV but I think this kit underdelivered on all counts. Well the stickers are cool I guess. Lets hope it can fly. It feels like a brick. (Why was this released?)
10. Please, FT, do better. I know you can. Don't become a victim of your own success. This kit feels like it was rushed out the door.(Josh needs to step in on this one?)

Flame away,
Themi