FT Mighty Mini Mustang

xMeox

So I finished my MMM yesterday and maidened it in the morning.

And damn, this thing flies great! My last build was a PunJet, and this wasnt much fun to fly to be honest. It was a challenge to keep it in the air and Im proud to say that it survived 4 flights so far, but it wasnt what I looked for. But the MMM, powered with a 1806 motor, definitive is! This thing tracks like an arrow, I never expected such an small plane to handle like that.

With the 1806 you can fly around at half speed, though vertical climbed is limited. I flew with 2x 460mAh 3s, because my 1000mha didnt fit. In my next build Ill mod the canopy (similar to the one in the corsair) so I can use the bigger batteries. Also Ill try a remove able wing mod. I think the fuselage is strong enough, and with the modified canopy the battery is not in my way, it should be easily doable.

One thing I should notice: even if the plane has really good flight characterisics, it is not an option for beginners. It is quite small and the orientation sometimes is not that easy too see, so if you want to build this plane you should already be comfy with a 4chan plane.

all in all, very great design! wont be the last one I built :)

PS: if you are scratchbuilding from the v1.0 plans, check the canopy spacers, some of them are too short.

IMG_1370.jpg

kacknor

Build another!
This one is on my build list.

If it's anything like other FT Minis in regard to power response try a 460 Nano-Tech 3 cell in it to get that nearly unlimited climb. It really does good in the Minis I have using that same motor and the 17 gram x-mount from HK.

JD

xMeox

I do use the 460 nano tech ;)
but to get the cg right, I have to add a second one as balast. but no unlimited vertical is no issue for me. Ordered a 2204 motor from bg a few days ago. I guess that this will solve this problem anyways;)

kacknor

Build another!
I do use the 460 nano tech ;)
but to get the cg right, I have to add a second one as balast. but no unlimited vertical is no issue for me. Ordered a 2204 motor from bg a few days ago. I guess that this will solve this problem anyways;)

Extra motors are a good thing. They lead to spare ESCs and new airframes! But a parallel plug is easy to solder up too... lol

JD

xMeox

I know, but im using my 460s with some other planes and the 1000 not at all. I dont have the possibility to rechatge my batteries at the field im flying so I realy want to use the bigger ones in the mmm ;)

97tj-neil

The boy and I both built one this week, and got to fly them today for the first time. What a great flying plane. And at about 210 grams AUW, no need for FAA registration. We are both flying with a Park250 and a 350 mach 2S, but we both got F pack motors for Christmas, so will try those next week. On the Park250 it is a really fun flyer and will fly quite slowly if you want it to.

0ECFFFC3-421A-49FD-BB64-0ED82C7FD3D1_zps8ar3e54y.jpg

peter123

Just finished mine today. No pretty paint job yet, but I'll do a classic P51 look eventually. I installed gear on mine, since there's no soft grass to land on out where I fly.

KbGYu3Q.jpg

xMeox

very nice builds! for the belly lander I would recommend to protect the servo gears on the wings. I glued a little fb spare parallel to the push rods. In my next build Ill also modify the fuselage front to protect the prop a little bit more.
I would really like to use gears on mine, but I dont have any place to land properly..

peter123

How did you guys go about painting your planes? I want to do at least a basic color scheme before I maiden, so that nothing becomes disoriented due to a pure white plane.

kacknor

Build another!
In the summer I maiden first. Don't seem to have trouble with orientation. I used to just get impatient while waiting for the chance to fly them and painted them all up real nice. Made it hard to toss them if I'd pooched the build somehow (I do, on occasion), and I found out the hard way about weight and CG after painting.

This time of year (Winter in northern climes) I'll most often add minwax because if I do get the rare chance to fly outdoors, most everything the plane touches is wet.

I haven't built the Mustang yet. Still playing with the Mini-Sportster.

JD

xMeox

I used collored packaging tape on the downer side for orientations on one of my first builds. Alplied after the build and with no clue how to do it right it looked ugly as hell. But it has done its job ;)

peter123

Just took my own mini mustang for a maiden today... flew amazing! Unfortunately I crashed on my downwind approach for landing, and was purely my fault, but it only took me a few minutes worth of gluing to repair. Very maneuverable plane yet very easy to control, I'm so happy with my first build!!!! :D :D :D

xMeox

you dont have to, though a lot of people use minwax to waterproof the plane first. you dont need to do this, but be careful that you dont spray too much color at once, otherwise the paper might come of the foam. better spray several layers

xMeox

Second MMM for me. Ill think Ill put a landing gear on this one, even when I dont have a good place to land.

IMG_1406.jpg
IMG_1407.jpg

Next one will be with remove able wing and with modified fuselage to protect motor and wing servos during bellylandings in high grass and frozen grounds.

Also here are some pictures of my first one in flight :)

L3014306.jpg
L3014255.jpg

kacknor

Build another!
Is there a special coating that needs to go on before painting???

No, nothing required. Just remember the paper doesn't stick to the foam well, so use VERY light coats (think overspray), and time in between or you will have separation. Some use brushed or rubbed oil based Minwax first or by itself. Both paint and Minwax will waterproof, I see no need for both, but Minwax first can give a better paint finish.

If you use masking tape, stick it to your shirt or pants first before the paper.

Overall painting first before assembly is best (No Minwax).

JD

travpounder

I'm still a beginner at flying, I've spent a many hours on the simulator I have, and I have a Sport Cub S. It's really hard to find a day that isn't to windy to fly it. Is the MMM any better in the wind? I just ordered one Friday, and really hoping it can handle wind a little better then my Cub.

xMeox

I dont have the cub so i cant compare those two. but imo the mmm in not the best choice for windy days. Maybe if you fly a heavier setup with a bigger motor and a 4s battery.

Also: do make a template before building your mmm. The plane is quite easy to fly, but it is faster than you might expect, even with a 1806/3s setup. also its size makes it hard sometimes to get the orientation right. I would highly reccomend to choose contrasting collors (yellow upside, something dark downside) for your first build

Last edited: