FT Mini Arrow disappointment

Preface: I’m a newbie and I’ve gotten obsessed with slope gliding.

After a few flights with my Tiny Trainer, I decided to make a wing for sloping. For whatever reason, I chose the Mini Arrow. The build was fun and the plane felt solid. I took it out to the slope for the first time this afternoon. About 12-15mph winds. Took it up once for a minute or so before I ended up on the backside of the lift. Fortunately it was a fairly soft belly landing.

After taking the walk of shame and checking the plane out for fitness and function, I went to give it another toss. My hand slipped and it literally took a 6’ drop to the ground a foot or so behind me, having been carried that direction from the wind. It fell inverted on the left side.

These pictures are the result. I’ve crashed my TT way, way, way harder than this. Sure, the nose is bashed and the H-stab looks kind of ragged now, but nothing like this. Did I mention that it was a 6’ fall from my hand to the ground?

Did I do something wrong or is this some sort of design problem? I followed the directions to a T and used FT’s glue stick.

I’m sure if I used enough tape and glue stick, I could put it back together again, but it will never line up correctly, especially with the major breakage on the bottom (second pic).

Help this newbie to know where he went wrong. Thanks.
4705BDDD-11DA-4AB3-B4DD-49F45028453C.jpeg

19C5A8E8-39E2-4770-9DC9-E717DD38550E.jpeg

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the tiny trainer is actually rather durable. Probably one of the more durable planes I have flown.

that damage you have there looks like it was in part the paper coming loose from the foam and the impact being able to focus the stress on what amounts to the weakest part of that plane. Had the paper not delamiated, your plane might be just fine right now.

the tiny trainer is actually rather durable. Probably one of the more durable planes I have flown.

that damage you have there looks like it was in part the paper coming loose from the foam and the impact being able to focus the stress on what amounts to the weakest part of that plane. Had the paper not delamiated, your plane might be just fine right now.
Hmmmmmm. FT foam so quality of the foam shouldn’t have been the issue.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Preface: I’m a newbie and I’ve gotten obsessed with slope gliding.

After a few flights with my Tiny Trainer, I decided to make a wing for sloping. For whatever reason, I chose the Mini Arrow. The build was fun and the plane felt solid. I took it out to the slope for the first time this afternoon. About 12-15mph winds. Took it up once for a minute or so before I ended up on the backside of the lift. Fortunately it was a fairly soft belly landing.

After taking the walk of shame and checking the plane out for fitness and function, I went to give it another toss. My hand slipped and it literally took a 6’ drop to the ground a foot or so behind me, having been carried that direction from the wind. It fell inverted on the left side.

These pictures are the result. I’ve crashed my TT way, way, way harder than this. Sure, the nose is bashed and the H-stab looks kind of ragged now, but nothing like this. Did I mention that it was a 6’ fall from my hand to the ground?

Did I do something wrong or is this some sort of design problem? I followed the directions to a T and used FT’s glue stick.

I’m sure if I used enough tape and glue stick, I could put it back together again, but it will never line up correctly, especially with the major breakage on the bottom (second pic).

Help this newbie to know where he went wrong. Thanks.
View attachment 227049
View attachment 227050
when I built an arrow at ff one of the people in the build tent recommended that I put a paint stick horizontally on the bottom as a spar it made A huemongus difference in strength and I think it would be beneficial so it doesn’t leave the foam like that again

HVB79

The damage you are seeing is very typical for the FT Arrow. The joint between the top wing skin and the pod sides is not interlocking so it can only be as strong as the paper to foam bond on the pod sides.

The only reason the FT Arrow has a pod behind the spar is to house motor. For slope flying you don't need the motor part of the pod so remove it. Lower the top of the pod so that it is flush with the top wing skin. This will give you two end to end joints and a flat surface that you can reinforce with tape.