FT Mini Corsair Maiden Flight

dehager

Small break in the weather this afternoon here in Eastern PA so today was the day for the maiden flight!

Build thread is located over in Swappables and other FT designs:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-mini-corsair-build.60954/

I needed to add 1.50 oz. of weight to get it to balance with the CG 1" from the leading edge of the wing using a 2S 850mAh battery. Total flying weight ended up being 10.30oz. The flight was uneventful with minimal trim adjustments. Flight time was 7 minutes with 50% of the battery left. Overall I am very pleased on the build and flight characteristics. It is a real pleasure to fly, easy takeoff and slows reasonably well considering the additional weight needed to get the CG correct.

The video is 2 minutes long to keep your attention and prevent boredom...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Small break in the weather this afternoon here in Eastern PA so today was the day for the maiden flight!

I needed to add 1.50 oz. of weight to get it to balance with the CG 1" from the leading edge of the wing using a 2S 850mAh battery. Total flying weight ended up being 10.30oz. The flight was uneventful with minimal trim adjustments. Flight time was 7 minutes with 50% of the battery left. Overall I am very pleased on the build and flight characteristics. It is a real pleasure to fly, easy takeoff and slows reasonably well considering the additional weight needed to get the CG correct.

Beautiful maiden! That was super quick for a 2S! The Mini Corsair is on my short list. Your experiences and video are a definite boost to my confidence, when I go into this build. Mine won't be near as pretty, but I can only hope it flies as well! :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Beautiful maiden! That was super quick for a 2S! The Mini Corsair is on my short list. Your experiences and video are a definite boost to my confidence, when I go into this build. Mine won't be near as pretty, but I can only hope it flies as well! :)
2s in the minis sure is quick. I’ve flown mine on 3s but personally I prefer the more scale flying.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I agree with all these guys, It is a top shelf build and a maiden to match. And yeah it does look fast for a 2s. I, like @The Hangar, always flew my Mimi's on a 3s and they didn't look that fast.

Nice job

dehager

Thank you all for the comments!

Battleaxe,

My preferred battery is a 2S 850mAh or 600mAh if i am flying low and slow. I have found that the weight of the batteries on the small mini series rather critical on the slow speed performance. I primarily fly in a small field and enjoy the close in and slower scale like performance, so saving an ounce in weight really adds to the flight performance. Both the Corsair and P-51 both perform best on 2S for my style of flying. I have flown my P-51 which is 9.45oz flying weight with a 3S 850mAh and it is rocket but suffers slow flight, I imagine the Corsair would also handle the same. I am seeing flight times of 7-10 minutes with 30% battery left on the 2S with the FT 2205 / 20A ESC and HQProp or APC 6x4.5 props. For me, it has more than enough speed and vertical on 2S.

I am working on version 2 to get the battery forward so that I can remove the 1.50 oz of nose weight. Then it will really be a sweet flyer!

1574263907477.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Believe it or not, I fly my minis off a 1500 2s and 1000 3s. They don’t slow down too much but it’s ok cause I don’t really suffer for space. Plus, I like the long flight time! :)

Bigeard

Beautiful