FT Mini F-22 Raptor

Tonero311

Searching through the forums I have only seen a few posts on this model. As I had an extra F pack motor and I'm at a stop with other projects waiting on materials, I thought I would give this one a crack.
It's amazing how just a little colour(1 so far) and a few lines brings out a character. This is the first one I've tried to decorate. Albeit with a permanent marker and a ruler, but quite proud how it looks. Going to stencil a skull onto the belly pan too.
Vertical stabilizers aren't glued in it yet. Have maybe a little more work to do there yet. Run out of time today. Works beckons.
Happy building and flying everybody.

Attachments

• 20190602_214835.jpg
    20190602_214835.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190603_144554.jpg
    20190603_144554.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

whackflyer

Master member
You’ll love that plane, I had one, until loss of signal brought it down and I deemed it to damaged to repair. It was a great flying bird. Smooth, moderately quick, and very easy to build. Have fun!

Tonero311

My mini flies better than my larger one.
Maybe I'll get around to the big brother version, but too much to finish before taking on anymore projects.
What size motors are you using in both the mini and full size?

gloobnib

Searching through the forums I have only seen a few posts on this model. As I had an extra F pack motor and I'm at a stop with other projects waiting on materials, I thought I would give this one a crack.
It's amazing how just a little colour(1 so far) and a few lines brings out a character. This is the first one I've tried to decorate. Albeit with a permanent marker and a ruler, but quite proud how it looks. Going to stencil a skull onto the belly pan too.
Vertical stabilizers aren't glued in it yet. Have maybe a little more work to do there yet. Run out of time today. Works beckons.
Happy building and flying everybody.

I too like the Mini-F22. The full-size FT-22 is too big for the meadow behind my house. The Mini can fly fairly comfortably, although I still manage to put it in the trees about twice a year. My latest build of the mini 22 is pictured below. It is amazing what you can do with just a little colored packing tape!
RWB-FT22.jpg

Tonero311

I too like the Mini-F22. The full-size FT-22 is too big for the meadow behind my house. The Mini can fly fairly comfortably, although I still manage to put it in the trees about twice a year. My latest build of the mini 22 is pictured below. It is amazing what you can do with just a little colored packing tape!
View attachment 132880
Amazing work there. Really lovely looking. Kicked my colour scheme into the weeds now😋 lol.

Tonero311

So servos and esc arrived yesterday. Finally got this bird ready to fly. Just need set up my eleven mixes(any help or pointers would be very appreciated, using Flysky FS-i6X and FS-ia6b) and appropriate battery.
Looking forward to trying to get this one to fly. Can see it taking a beating better than my bushwacker or pietenpol.

Attachments

• 20190629_190107.jpg
    20190629_190107.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190629_190138.jpg
    20190629_190138.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

degriz

So servos and esc arrived yesterday. Finally got this bird ready to fly. Just need set up my eleven mixes(any help or pointers would be very appreciated, using Flysky FS-i6X and FS-ia6b) and appropriate battery.
Looking forward to trying to get this one to fly. Can see it taking a beating better than my bushwacker or pietenpol.
Go with a little bit of up elevator

Tonero311

So what will mostly likely be the final update on this model.
I got everything through during the week at last to get this bird into the air. So off to the field with my FT-22 mini, my son and his ez glider.
This thing basically just leaped out of my hand on maiden made a roll to the left, then I saved it and coaxed it around the back of us before getting it guided exactly where it should be. With all the excitement and what felt like and excitement induced panic attack, done the smart thing and landed....perfectly....first time......ever.
So little bit of time to calm down and let my son and his friend mess with the glider. Then thrown it up and landed another 7 times with another 5 perfect landings and 2 hard ones(everyone a walk of shame, come on now I'm still an amateur). First full battery used in one session and got so comfortable with the model that the last 2 flights I was doing figures of 8 working out how the crosswind would effect the plane with each turn.
So I think I can say I have conquered this model. I have no improvements I want to make. Guts will be removed once dead to build my son's next glider with RC control.
This plane is amazing for a beginner. I took to this instantly and control is so easy with a huge flight speed envelope. Just keep the wings level and use throttle to pull up out of hairy situations. I would highly recommend this to anyone just beginning. The controls felt natural and friendly and the build was easy too.
Happy building and flying everybody. Hope to have as much success on my next projects too(finishing soon😋).

Attachments

• 20190707_125007.jpg
    20190707_125007.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 0

Tonero311

So another post on this model before it can no longer fly. Had to replace both 5g servos as they must have stripped or gone bad. Both started shuddering heavily in all positions. Checked everything, nothing binding and good connections at Rx. So I just threw in 2 12g metal gear servos. Working perfectly again. To be fair it has taken numerous crashes, rough landings and picked a fight with a lamp post(seemed to end in a draw as both were working perfectly after😂).
Now working on the big FT-22 for when this one finally bites the dust permanently which I can see being in the not too distant future. I just hope the big one is as much fun to fly.

Attachments

• 20190715_130843.jpg
    20190715_130843.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190715_130837.jpg
    20190715_130837.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 0

Tonero311

Original dead. Last nose dive just wrecked everything. Good it excuse to build a better looking and stronger one. Tape only added 20g total to AUW.

Attachments

• 20190727_174545.jpg
    20190727_174545.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190727_174448.jpg
    20190727_174448.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0