FT Mini Guinea Build

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I just wish that Spektrum would have some Door related audio in their spoken commands. I picked "Bomb Drop" for full open.

do you guys think that this plane, and the other minis, will be able to fly off of the altitude hobbies electronics kit, but on 5030 props instead of the 6030 listed? the Hobbyking warehouse in the US doesn't carry 6030 props and I don't want to order from the international warehouse as the shipping will be insane for just a few props.

I am planning on running my minis on strictly 2s, as to save the bigger ones for my bigger planes, and basically use them as trainers for others who want to get into flying, so this question isn't just for this airframe, but for the mini's in general.

Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I was running the 5x3 props on mine but I also have some 5x5 and my mini guinea is now running 6x4 and it flys great! all three of these props I was able to get from a US hobbyking warehouse.

Justin

FatsGW

Just finished scratch building mine using Elmer's board. Weighing in at 260g without electronics, landing gears and stabilizers. The stabilizers weigh 5g each on Elmer's board !

As its my first twin engine, is it necessary to have counter rotating motors/props? From the video, they seem to be using both CCW motors (red cap). From Lorenzo's photos, you seem to be using counter rotating motors (red + black). Does this affect performance in any way?

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
You just wanna make sure that they are facing outward, and spinning in opposite directions. Thick part of the prop on top (hey that rhymed)

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I run both props in the same direction as that is how they showed it in the flitetest video. I would assume counter rotating would be better though.

Justin

Lorenzo

My motors are actually the same direction, flies great too, only needs a touch of right aileron trim. This is also my first twin and I'm a bit confused about the counter rotating props - I completely understand the concept, but my question is this: can't one just switch the motor leads to change direction and then wouldn't it be a matter of using props that have reversed, or "mirror image" pitch directions...is that a thing...I'm confused.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
That would cause the prop to go be running upside down, it works, but is horribly inefficient and it draws a lot of amps. The sound is off too. Seriously, run up one on backward with the motor spinning backwards, it will pull, but barely and it sounds off.

Lorenzo

Right, I guess what I'm asking is if you reverse the motor direction you must reverse the prop direction (not flip a normal prop around, but use a prop with the opposite pitch direction), or else you'd be getting reverse thrust...so couldn't you just reverse the motor direction and use the proper...prop?

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
That is correct. swap the motor direction and you need to use a prop that is made to rotate in that direction. you would have a CW and CCW prop.

Justin

FatsGW

My motors are actually the same direction, flies great too, only needs a touch of right aileron trim. This is also my first twin and I'm a bit confused about the counter rotating props - I completely understand the concept, but my question is this: can't one just switch the motor leads to change direction and then wouldn't it be a matter of using props that have reversed, or "mirror image" pitch directions...is that a thing...I'm confused.

I've tried doing that. The motor cap comes loose after every flight if you spin the motor in the opposite direction. It can be easily resolved with loctite or glue though.

Anyone else tried it with counter rotating props ?

Lorenzo

Aha! Thank you, I finally get it and yes, I did notice opposite threading on my motors - so that's the defining difference (since all outrunner brushless motors can travel in either direction) between CW and CCW motors - thread direction? (I guess I previously had the impression that CW and CCW motors were mechanically different or wired differently or something... [slapping hand to forehead]) If this is the case then why do the two exist? Isn't it just a prop issue?

Last edited:

JLT_GTI

I plan on building mine in counter rotating props... this motors work with quad props and i have some sets of 5030s, 6030s and even some 5045 i think... all with normal and CCW spining props...so it should be easy to make them counter rotating..

still probably with both props spinning the same direction it will fly good still ...

FatsGW

Aha! Thank you, I finally get it and yes, I did notice opposite threading on my motors - so that's the defining difference (since all outrunner brushless motors can travel in either direction) between CW and CCW motors - thread direction? (I guess I previously had the impression that CW and CCW motors were mechanically different or wired differently or something... [slapping hand to forehead]) If this is the case then why do the two exist? Isn't it just a prop issue?

It's the threads on the motor. The nut/cap on a motor with the correct thread direction for the direction of spin will be self -locking.

CW thread - CCW spin
CCW thread - CW spin

Otherwise you would have to use prop savers or anti -slip nuts to hold your props.

The CW and CCW on motors usually refer to the thread direction . Not spin direction

One thing that always bugs me is that there aren't any dimensions on the plans. Just general measurements wingspan, cord, width,height and length of fuselage. I have to print out the tiled plans just to determine if I want to build a plane that size. Yes I can blow it up on my big screen tv then measure it using the 6 in ruler in the corner. If you have built several planes you can modify these measurements and create something slightly different

Hey All,

I'm getting through my build but have a quick question - when connecting my 2nd ESC to my RX (it's a lemonRX 6Channel) do I need to disconnect the power pin on the connector...or is it OK to leave as is? Specs on the receiver say it operates from 3.45 - 10.2V - my ESCs have 2 5v/1a BECs that are coming off of it. Pretty sure it would be OK...but just didn't know what others are doing! Also - anyone set up differential thrust on a Taranis yet? Haven't even gotten that far yet, but I'm sure it's easy enough :)

Lorenzo

I've always read and been told to play it safe and remove one of the power pins. Luckily they pop out pretty easily.

Photon Phil

What do I do with the DX9 programming file? I open it and I get what looks like code. I am still learning to use the DX9 I bought it only three weeks ago. Any help would be great. Thanks.