FT Mini Guinea Build

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
This past weekend I was flying the MInier Guinea and mid flight I decided it was time to move the electronics to a normal size MIni Guinea. So as any of us would do, I leveled out about 20ft off the ground, went full throttle and after about 20yards I pull the stick back to a full up pitch...SNAP the wing folded and it spiralled like a perfectly thrown football for another 30 yards before hitting the ground. I had only used foam for the wing spar in the Minier due to time and not wanting a thick heavy wood spar in the smaller wing.

Yesterday I began cutting foam on my iNav Mini Guinea. 100% Mini Guinea scale and this time I am including the cargo drop. Wing is cut, I still need fire walls for the 4 motor pods, buddy is 3D printing me some, and then I need to cut down a Lowes yard stick to make a good wooden spar.

I got the fuselage mostly cut out and glued together, just needs the tails and tail servos now. I built an internal cargo bay to keep stuff from floating forward into the nose or back into the tail. Then I rigger up a servo to open and close the door. I had to add wiring to the F411-Wing FC to get the 5th servo output, but got it working great!

Side by side fuselage comparison of the Minier and Mini Guineas
IMG_20190522_200233.jpg

This is how I put the servo in to control the cargo door.
IMG_20190522_212944.jpg

Cargo door operation, I have no servo speed control for door down, but slowed for return to closed.

This was a quick drop of a few tiny paratroopers

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Almost ready to fly, just need some BBQ scewers (used my last one on the Minier Guinea) and some rubber bands. Based on the ridiculous amount of thrust I had with the 4x 3" props on the Minier I think I may be fine to fly the full size on 3S 2200mAh, but I'll have a 4S 1550mAh ready just i case.

Oh and I took the idea from Josh on the Watermelon drop episode and went with 2 nose wheels rather than the classic Mini Guinea. If she flies well I plan to try a iNav Auto Launch, but from the wheels, always wondered how well that would work....

IMG_20190526_101232.jpg

IMG_20190527_113514.jpg

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
IMG_20190529_191215.jpg

Took her out last night and had a successful flight on 3S 2200mAh battery. It was a little windy around 10mph with gusts and the 3S setup was right at the limit, but flew fine. 3S will be fine for lazy flights on calm days.

Threw a 4S 1550mAh battery in and she had that extra pep to deal with the wind a little better. Unfortunately I think on the first landing the left wing got creased a little and mid flight it started to fold up just past where I had the wooden spar, which runs the full length of the flat bottom of the wing. I tried to get her back to land, but it folded up more and ended up coming down in the field.

IMG_20190529_192626.jpg

The tail was damaged in the "landing", but this picture shows the wing folded up.

IMG_20190529_192759.jpg

Closer look at the bottom show that it broke right at the end of the wooden spar.

IMG_20190529_192807.jpg

And here is the top showing it ripped through the paper and foam.

IMG_20190529_192811.jpg

I glued the parts back together and will try flying it again, but if it still has issues then I guess I will rebuild the wing and just make the wooden spar go the entire length of the wing, it will just stick out in view some on the ends, maybe I'll paint it white :)

Here is some video from the maidens

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Here is a before and after weight of the 2 wings, only around 10g added with 14" more spar and foam along the entire lower surface of the wing, pretty good I think.
IMG_20190630_102547.jpg

Here is the new wing on the plane.
IMG_20190630_215129.jpg

I am also adding FPV gear now just in case I want to use it, but likely won't every flight. Installed a AKK FX2 VTX with Strix Hoot antenna glued to the top of the plane. I installed a FXT FT80 camera into the nose, about where the windshields would be. Thought about righ up in the nose, but have smashed too many MGs in nose first haha.

Here is the VTX antenna.
IMG_20190630_215133.jpg

And here is the camera.
IMG_20190701_180855.jpg

Last edited:

Theuglycamel

Awesome build nevenelestate! I've built and rebuilt a full size GP (the golden goose) and I've always wanted to see how it'd handle with 4 motors. I've also had the exact same problem you had. The wing tips don't take damage well and the tail is SUPER weak, even with winglet supports. Love that camera position too! Should have an awesome POV!

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Awesome build nevenelestate! I've built and rebuilt a full size GP (the golden goose) and I've always wanted to see how it'd handle with 4 motors. I've also had the exact same problem you had. The wing tips don't take damage well and the tail is SUPER weak, even with winglet supports. Love that camera position too! Should have an awesome POV!

I am debating a full size Guinea with 4x 2205 motors and 5" props. On 4S it should be plenty for power.

jryd2000

I am doing a scratch build from the plans. Can anyone tell me the width and height of the paint sticks used for the main wing spar? In the video they stack 2 on top of each other and then have the single foam board pieces on either side. With the paint sticks I have, the middle of the wing will be much thicker than the edges, is that the desired outcome? Also the sticks I have are wider than the score cuts, i'm no sure if that will matter or if I should trim them to fit inside the score cuts.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I am doing a scratch build from the plans. Can anyone tell me the width and height of the paint sticks used for the main wing spar? In the video they stack 2 on top of each other and then have the single foam board pieces on either side. With the paint sticks I have, the middle of the wing will be much thicker than the edges, is that the desired outcome? Also the sticks I have are wider than the score cuts, i'm no sure if that will matter or if I should trim them to fit inside the score cuts.

Sorry for delayed response, I cut my wooden spar to the same width as the score marks, you wan to keep that same sectional width across the wing. The spar section should be as thick as the outer foam only section. I have found that a Lowes/Home Depot Yard stick is the correct thickness and very strong, just needs cut down to length and width.

jryd2000

Sorry for delayed response, I cut my wooden spar to the same width as the score marks, you wan to keep that same sectional width across the wing. The spar section should be as thick as the outer foam only section. I have found that a Lowes/Home Depot Yard stick is the correct thickness and very strong, just needs cut down to length and width.

Thanks for the response, I'll remember that for next time. Unfortunately I already built it with the double thick paint stirrers. The electronics arrive today, so hopefully we'll see this weekend how well it flies with that.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks for the response, I'll remember that for next time. Unfortunately I already built it with the double thick paint stirrers. The electronics arrive today, so hopefully we'll see this weekend how well it flies with that.
It is a great plane with a ton of power! Have fun.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah, 1300mAh minimum probably, I love the stock one on 3S 2200mAh. My four motor one was running 1300mAh 4S :D
I haven’t flown my big one yet, but I’m thinking about using a 5000 mah 3s to balance it out since I used some old Traxxas slash rc car tires in the back for landing gear which adds a bit of tail weight...