FT Mini Scout Build (Mighty Minis)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
You're welcome!

Yes, this Y cable will work too - I also have one of these!

I have no twin engine plane, so I don't know if this configuration will work, but i think it could work without motor angles.

Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
It's a FLYBOY!

A tribute to the movie FLYBOYS (coloured packing tape made it possible)!

web_FT_Mini_Scout_01.JPG

web_FT_Mini_Scout_03.JPG

web_FT_Mini_Scout_02.JPG

web_FT_Mini_Scout_04.JPG

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks a lot AircPirateNinsei!!.
...Are these waste then or could I use them in something?
For twin engine do the props need to be 1 CW and 1 CCW or both will be CCW.

You can build a twin engine either with both the same direction or with counter rotating props (one of each direction). CW props are also used on pusher designs.

You can use either prop anywhere so long as the motor turns the correct direction for the prop, Brushless motors work the same in either direction. The only issue is that the particular model design may have a built in thrust angle to compensate for the motor rotation tending to steer the plane. The mini scout has this. Obviously if you run the motor in reverse then the compensation will actually make the problem it is supposed to fix worse.

You could build a mirrored motor pod to use those props on the mini scout if you really wanted too but props are cheap and they break when you crash which you will. You will be getting more in any case so I would just get the normal props and put these CW props in your build box for some later use.

taswas

I just Built a mini Scout from 5mm foamboard from Hobbycraft here in the UK. It really is quite heavy. AUW is around 210 gram. I lasercut new parts from 6mm Depron earlier. Hopefully get it much lighter this time using UHU por glue. Depron parts weigh in at 38 gram so fingers crossed.

taswas

Colour Scheme

The colour sheme is a little loud but I managed to get the Scout built from Depron. Weight without Electronics or controls is at 56g.

It looks like AUW should be 101.4g without battery.

Torf

You can build a twin engine either with both the same direction or with counter rotating props (one of each direction). CW props are also used on pusher designs.

You can use either prop anywhere so long as the motor turns the correct direction for the prop, Brushless motors work the same in either direction. The only issue is that the particular model design may have a built in thrust angle to compensate for the motor rotation tending to steer the plane. The mini scout has this. Obviously if you run the motor in reverse then the compensation will actually make the problem it is supposed to fix worse.

You could build a mirrored motor pod to use those props on the mini scout if you really wanted too but props are cheap and they break when you crash which you will. You will be getting more in any case so I would just get the normal props and put these CW props in your build box for some later use.

If you counter-rotate the props, it SHOULD eliminate the need for any lateral thrust angle. Vertical thrust angle may not be affected, but with twin engines, the center of gravity will probably shift up or down and the thrust may be greater necessitating an alteration in vertical thrust angle.

pressalltheknobs

If you counter-rotate the props, it SHOULD eliminate the need for any lateral thrust angle. Vertical thrust angle may not be affected, but with twin engines, the center of gravity will probably shift up or down and the thrust may be greater necessitating an alteration in vertical thrust angle.

sure that's true, but I think you missed point.

Torf

sure that's true, but I think you missed point.

Heh. Wouldn't be the first time... Sorry

I looked for the source of the idea for a twin scout in this thread, but couldn't find it. I figured I just missed it rather than simply having inferred it from the thread.

:black_eyed:

pressalltheknobs

Heh. Wouldn't be the first time... Sorry

I looked for the source of the idea for a twin scout in this thread, but couldn't find it. I figured I just missed it rather than simply having inferred it from the thread.

:black_eyed:

no worries. Good luck with your twin scout idea. Counter rotating props seem best since its a small model. Then you can have a perpendicular fire wall. The scout has a fairly pronounced downward thrust angle too. I'm not sure why it needs that.

T-Richard

3rd mini scout, This one is for the girlfriend

20150807_113140.jpg

This is my 3rd. Love this plane! The first spent a forthnight up a tree and came down warped a good deal from the elements and blunt trauma to get it down. The second I gave away, this is the third. I'll maiden it later today then dial some serious expo and hope it doesn't meet it's untimely demise too quickly

Beachy Head Flyer

Old , Low and Slow
I just Built a mini Scout from 5mm foamboard from Hobbycraft here in the UK. It really is quite heavy. AUW is around 210 gram. I lasercut new parts from 6mm Depron earlier. Hopefully get it much lighter this time using UHU por glue. Depron parts weigh in at 38 gram so fingers crossed.

I built a scout from the 5 mm stuff also here in the UK and flies perfectly on a 3 cell 1000 , 25c overlander.

DavidH

FT_Scout1.JPG

FT_Scout2.JPG

Motor: DYS BE1806-13 2300kv
ESC: HK 12A BlueSeries
Servos: Turnigy 5.5g
Battery: Turnigy nano-tech 950mah 3S
AUW: 242g

This is made from "heavy" foamboard from www.foamboards.com.au. Didn't think it would fly (too heavy). Pleasantly surprised to find it flies brilliantly. How can a tiny 3CH plane be so much fun to fly?

DavidH

So here's the new "sports" version with ailerons.

FTScout2.jpg

Motor: DYS BE1806-13 2300kv
Prop: 5x5
ESC: HK 12A BlueSeries
Servos: Turnigy 5.5g
Battery: Zippy Flightmax 1000mAh 3S1P 25C Lipo
AUW: 265g

Had to widen the fuselage by 5mm to fit the Zippy 1000mAh battery.

FTScout3.jpg

Despite being over 20g heavier than my first FT Scout this one again flies brilliantly. Love this plane.

Redcoat

Hi...ruud had asked back in 2014 and I can't find any answers in the forum. ..

What is the 1" by 6" piece in the plans used for?