FT Mini Scout Build (Mighty Minis)

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Hi...ruud had asked back in 2014 and I can't find any answers in the forum. ..

What is the 1" by 6" piece in the plans used for?

It maybe left over from the drawings that FT needs to produce the kits and ship them. Some of the speed build kits (SBK) have slots like this to place the plywood pieces like firewalls and control horns.

Redcoat

Part Question

It maybe left over from the drawings that FT needs to produce the kits and ship them. Some of the speed build kits (SBK) have slots like this to place the plywood pieces like firewalls and control horns.

Thanks BridgeInspector...it looks like this isn't a needed part at all.

Redcoat

Mini Scout ...my new favourite

Finally finished my mini scout. I have painted it and installed a panda pilot courtesy of my granddaughter. I am telling everyone the Kung Fu Panda took over from the Red Baron.

I built this light... specifically to fly indoors this winter and I flew it indoors for the 1st time today. After trimming it flew very slow and stable. (it made me look like I'm a much better pilot than I really am). Many of my indoor flying friends thought it was store bought and once they realized it was scratch built they asked for the plans and what mods I made.

I took off all paper from the foam..adjusted the plans to compensate for the A and B folds with butt joints.
I used WeldBond glue instead of hot glue..I just have much better luck with it...just a slower build as you need to let the glue dry longer.
The servos were reduced to 3.5 grams and seemed more than adequate.
The motor is a 10 gm 2000 kv motor.
The prop is a GWS 6 X 3.
The motor mount and control horns were made from and old credit card. Surprisingly the motor mount was quite sturdy and supports the motor more than adequately.
The windshield was a piece of a clear water bottle.
The landing gear wire is from the wire used in utility locate flags.
I widened out the spacing between the wheels to provide a little more stability.
The landing gear wheel hubs and spacers were from some hollow shafted Q tips.

I am flying with a 500 ma 2 cell and get great flight times and no balance problems. Actually it flew a little tail heavy initially and I had to adjust accordingly.

Thanks to those who had so much input to the mini scout. I enjoyed the build as much as flying this one.

Flite Test...Thank You!

Attachments

• Mini Scout.jpg
    Mini Scout.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 13

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Oh what fun

My FT Mini Scout has sat on my wall for a while now.
One of those I'll get too it things.

IMG_1903.jpg IMG_1904.jpg IMG_1922.jpg

Recently I made 2 changes and then really regretted not flying this plane sooner.

The first was removing the originally motor which is great for slow flyers, put in a banged up 1806 and the 2nd change was to add ailerons.

The rest is history.

My Dad has been flying his for well over a year now but last weekend we flew together and well it was controlled chaos with a lot of giggles. Specially from my son who wanted us to drop parachute dudes from the plane.

IMG_1721.jpg
- My Dad's well flown FT Scout.

IMG_7111.jpg
- Banged up 1806 and 5x4.5 prop
IMG_7112.jpg IMG_7196.jpg IMG_7197.jpg IMG_7317.jpg IMG_7318.jpg IMG_7321.jpg

circle&stripes

Yeah it's a under appreciated gem. When you take all the bling off it and make it like an mini ugly stick like you did, it is quick to build, and still flies great. I keep one in my inventory at all times and I take it out on the windiest days because I know it can be rebuild in one evening.

Eric H.

Scout CG Tips from my build.

I finished the Scout using the recommended EMAX MT1806 and a 2 cell 500 mAh battery. I used the Adams Dollar Tree foam board. I found the plane tail heavy. I did coat all the edges of the foam with hot glue which is heavy, anyway I needed to add 27 grams of lead weight to the nose to balance. The plane flew OK but was sluggish due to the weight. I built another and moved the servos as far forward as possible and used lighter wire for the push rods but this made little difference. To fix this I added 1.5 inches to the nose of the plane so now it fly's fine without the lead wight. Anyway if you build using a similar setup you might consider making the nose an inch and a half to an inch and three quarters longer which gives more leverage for the weight in front of the CG. This will give you more room to slide the battery forward or aft to get the best balance. If you use a heavier motor or a mount that sticks the motor out further in front you may not need to do this. Since I had already built the plane I just cut some more foam using the plan for the nose just using the last inch and a half and glued it on then added more poster board for the top.

Another tip: Use CA hinges so you don't have to deal with cutting those bevel edges for the control surfaces. I used Great Planes GPMQ3950. http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmq3950.html Just use your Exacto Knife to cut a slot in the edge of the foam and slide the hinge in a little less than half way then use some thin FOAM SAFE CA on the hinge where it goes into the foam and the CA will wick in to the slot, then cut a slot in the adjoining surface and slide it in place over the hinge living a gap so the control surface can move then add some more CA and there you go. It's amazing the hinge stays flexible better than the hot glue coated edges using paper as a hinge.

To find the center of gravity for the plane I used this site which worked well: http://www.rcacf.com/HelpfulHints_files/CG_Calculator.htm

A higher tail fin with rudder could possibly give more yaw control but may mess up the classic look but these are easy to build so you could build a few and experiment.

Thanks Flite Test it's a great looking plane.

ika

DTF nut
Rasterize/Stephen's lozenge camo art

From there it was on to Illustrator where I opened the scout PDF plans and used them to create my graphics.
I then printed them on tissue paper (tutorial to follow one day), removed the paper from the front and back of all the parts and then using 3M 77 spray, sprayed the part and carefully applied to the tissue paper (also another future tutorial).
Here are the results:
View attachment 35553

...snip....snip....

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I can't remember if this has been asked before but are you willing to make available the Mini Scout Lozenge graphics in either PDF or Illustrator format? Your Lozenge camo Mini Scout looks absolutely amazing! l have been flying around in my Mini Scout with a sort of 'Red Baron' design, airbushed by hand:
scout1.jpg

Now I would like to build a second one to get my daughter interested in flying, and I would like to try the paper replacement technique with it. Many of my flying buddies at the field have started to look closer at my 'trash foam' planes as I've learned to fly better and now they are seeing how well the Mini Scout flies. I can't imagine how their jaws would drop if they ever saw something like your Lozenge Mini Scout!

-Ilkka

Last edited:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Hi Stephen,

I can't remember if this has been asked before but are you willing to make available the Mini Scout Lozenge graphics in either PDF or Illustrator format? Your Lozenge camo Mini Scout looks absolutely amazing!
Now I would like to build a second one to get my daughter interested in flying, and I would like to try the paper replacement technique with it. Many of my flying buddies at the field have started to look closer at my 'trash foam' planes as I've learned to fly better and now they are seeing how well the Mini Scout flies. I can't imagine how their jaws would drop if they ever saw something like your Lozenge Mini Scout!

-Ilkka

Hi Ilkka!
Thanks for the kind words. I just finished sending out the latest version of the corsair to some test builders and thought to myself "You know, I should go back and revisit some of my other designs and make them available." Now I know which one I should do first.
You read my mind. Kind of creepy. :O
Stephen

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Finally applied some colour to this plane.

Sine I'll be testing the FT Mini Arrow this weekend I figured I'd charge up a whack of 2S packs and have some fun!

IMG_8486.JPG

spannerman

FT Mini Scout Build

Hi Guys first of all thankyou for the inspiration to go fly a plane:) I have recently retired and been learning to build and fly quads with my grandson. I have watched the videos on your foamboard builds and just thought this this tip may be helpful to anyone outside of the States where the kit isn't available? After a lifetime in carpentry I'm a big fan of jigs for repeatability and speed. So I took a couple of hours to make the patterns out of 1/4" ply just one wing and a half fuselage gives perfect symmetry. The great thing is that using 1/4" ply and a pointed scalpel the ply guides the blade AND keeps the cut perpendicular giving great results. Additionally they give a permanent supply of repeatable spares See photo's and thanks again God bless FullSizeRender-1.jpg IMG_2731.JPG

daxian

Elite member
hi all ....
just building a scout at 150 % and am wondering if anyone built one at this size using the hextronic 24grm motor ???
also if the thrust angles built into the pod were required, or just straight mount was used ???
thanks in advance for any info .......

daxian

Elite member
hi ....
i will answer my previous post in case any one else needs info ...
the 24 gram 1300 kv flys the 150 % scout perfectly ,i used an 8x6 prop and no to the pod angles, straight mounted !!
fly's perfect and is slow at 50% throttle ,climbs nice at 75% throttle

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
MM Scout skin set "Berg Aviatik"

11X17 skin set for this:
FTMS Aviatik 1.jpg
Can be found here.

Last edited: