FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

FastCrash45

Elite member
Considering this challenge I think it maybe July before I can fly. This pic is the 4 1/2 foot drift outside my backdoor. May have to count me out of this challenge. More snow expected the end of next week.

Attachments

• 20190224_122152.jpg
    20190224_122152.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 0

FastCrash45

Elite member
The new radio and receiver arrived and the rain stopped, and I was finally able to complete my Mini Scout build! Not using hot glue certainly tries your patience, as I can't just glue and fly the same day. But it was worth the wait! Skies were clear and wind was minimal so my son and I grabbed the opportunity to try to get the maiden flight in this morning. Video for my official entry in the competition will be posted later this afternoon. The plane flew better than I expected, even easier to fly than our Tiny Trainer.
View attachment 124890
View attachment 124891
Now that is a clean build!! Awesome job!! Can't wait for the video.👍

Vimana89

Legendary member
The new radio and receiver arrived and the rain stopped, and I was finally able to complete my Mini Scout build! Not using hot glue certainly tries your patience, as I can't just glue and fly the same day. But it was worth the wait! Skies were clear and wind was minimal so my son and I grabbed the opportunity to try to get the maiden flight in this morning. Video for my official entry in the competition will be posted later this afternoon. The plane flew better than I expected, even easier to fly than our Tiny Trainer.
View attachment 124890
View attachment 124891
The scout is great, it's definitely something I will keep on hand and rebuild many times. I am far from a good pilot but I couldn't ask for more in a basic RET for training and casual flying, and it was a good experience for my first time building an FT kit. It can do loops and stuff too without stalling and climbs pretty fast. This is one of a handful of FT kits I overlooked when starting out with fancy scratch builds way out of my league, but now that I've built it and flown it I have to say I'm a fan.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
View attachment 124890
View attachment 124891
Cleanest build I have ever seen of any ft build! Simply beautiful, and that radial motor really complements the plane, great job!

Kendalf

Here's the maiden flight video for my official entry into the Mini Scout Newbie challenge! I learned a lot from our two Tiny Trainer builds and took the time to try to get this one as clean and even as I could. Love this plane! It's easier to handle than the Tiny Trainer and flies slower, meaning that it will be less stressful to fly in the smaller fields near our house, though it likely won't handle wind as well because of the light weight. Because of how slow and stable the Mini Scout flew, I was emboldened to try some close passes enough to make my son a little nervous! :p

Electronics Details:
Motor: FT Radial 1806 - 2280kV brushless
Receiver: FrSky V8R4-ii
ESC: Emax 12A
Servos: FT ES9051 5g
Battery: Turnigy 2s 800mAh LiPo

Because of the long grass (and also to keep the plane as light as possible), I went without the landing gear. I also used toothpicks instead of bamboo skewers for the engine pod, and they seemed to handle the stress just fine.

Cleanest build I have ever seen of any ft build! Simply beautiful, and that radial motor really complements the plane, great job!
Thank you!! I've been really impressed with the FT Radial motor... not that I have much experience with any other motors to compare it to! But it seems very balanced and efficient, as evidenced by the minimal sound when the motor is spinning. The motor I used in this plane came from our first prototype Tiny Trainer build, and it's already survived a few crashes and landings in damp grass and dirt.

I second that, and I'll add that I like your servo placement better than the way the kit is set up.
Yeah, I saw others using this servo setup in other planes and it just seemed to be easier to line things up and make adjustments than if the servos were locked inside the fuselage. We didn't discover until after the maiden that I forgot to use the screws for mounting the servo horns! :eek: Good thing friction was enough to keep the horns in place!

FastCrash45

Elite member
Here's the maiden flight video for my official entry into the Mini Scout Newbie challenge! I learned a lot from our two Tiny Trainer builds and took the time to try to get this one as clean and even as I could. Love this plane! It's easier to handle than the Tiny Trainer and flies slower, meaning that it will be less stressful to fly in the smaller fields near our house, though it likely won't handle wind as well because of the light weight. Because of how slow and stable the Mini Scout flew, I was emboldened to try some close passes enough to make my son a little nervous! :p

Electronics Details:

Because of the long grass (and also to keep the plane as light as possible), I went without the landing gear. I also used toothpicks instead of bamboo skewers for the engine pod, and they seemed to handle the stress just fine.

Thank you!! I've been really impressed with the FT Radial motor... not that I have much experience with any other motors to compare it to! But it seems very balanced and efficient, as evidenced by the minimal sound when the motor is spinning. The motor I used in this plane came from our first prototype Tiny Trainer build, and it's already survived a few crashes and landings in damp grass and dirt.

Yeah, I saw others using this servo setup in other planes and it just seemed to be easier to line things up and make adjustments than if the servos were locked inside the fuselage. We didn't discover until after the maiden that I forgot to use the screws for mounting the servo horns! :eek: Good thing friction was enough to keep the horns in place!
Now that was BEAUTIFUL!! Seemed like it was floating and with some nice loops. Impressive for a maiden flight.🖒🖒🖒👍👍👍

mayan

Legendary member
@Kendalf rock on my friend! That was truly amazing. I was hooked into your flight and just couldn’t put my eyes of the video not even for a second. @buzzbomb will update the leader board laterly probably but I think we know your going on top. Really great job and fun to watch moment that you shared with us. Thank you!

Personal message to your son if you would pass it to him.
“I had a really fun time to watch the video you filmed. The way you all were part of the moment a moment worth more than anything in the world. So thank you for the sharing that moment with me. I will definitely remember this moment, the excitement I felt watching your family enjoying our challenge. Thank you!”

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Except it was me thinking like...

"Turn right..." *trim, hold stick* "Come on turn right you silly plane.., *trim trim hold stick* "$!#@ Turn RIGHT!" *hold trim hold stick" "ah there we go, Crap too far away... Gotta bring it back" ....

That's about how the whole flight went. Lol. It was fun, intense, and scary all at the same time.
That feeling is precisely what this challenge is about. That's how I feel when I fly, and I've got to admit that I love it. That's why I originally threw the challenge at mayan.

He's so methodical and technical and planning and working so hard for perfection. I wanted him to just feel what it's like to just build something and throw it in the air, without practice and see what happens. What happens is what you experienced. It's glorious!

He stepped out of his box and flew his second flight in stupid high winds for the Mini Scout. Some would say he threw it away. Nah. He got it. He understood the spirit of the challenge. It's stress relief! He crashed a little later than I, but you, my friend? You also embraced the challenge and you flew gloriously.

My kind words were not just words. You embraced the challenge and flew awesomely. You've earned the top spot. I've got an issue with my PowerPods I haven't figured out, so my Mini Scout cannot fly. As soon as I get I get it figured, I'm doing flight number three.

I fully intend to beat your time!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Electronics Details:

Oh. My. Gosh. Your video has it all! The most incredible low speed FT Mini Scout flight we've seen in this challenge, with loops and an obstacle course you were flying around. You've three generations of family! (Your son is the best CameraMan EVER and yes, he's on youtube and totally rocked it!)

The challenge was the longest in the air. Phew. I've got launch at about 0:13 and landing at about 7:43. That's a SEVEN minute and and thirty-second flight time! Youtube and your video is the official time-keeper. I just spot the times.

Kendalf, you not only set the bar to an Olympic level, you did it with family and threw in a little bit of style as well. I'd give you points for the loops and obstacle course, but nah. You don't need them!

That was an exceptional flight Sir! Completely adverse to my personal flying style, and you've shown how it needs it be done if one wants to win this challenge.

LeaderBoard to be updated!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
New LeaderBoard for the FT MINI SCOUT NEWBIE CHALLENGE!

MiniScoutChallengeLB-6.jpg

Is that a 7:30 for the Leader? Oh yes it is, and with some style I might add. He did it low and slow. He dropped the specs for his build above. I can not hope to match that flight time, and I'm not even going to try. When I get my build right, I'm just to go do what I do and fly crazy and hope not to crash. We'll see how long I last.

Kendalf that was an amazing entry and an absolutely amazing flight. Thank you. I threw the challenge out to mayan, and he threw it out to the world. I doubt either of us suspected a seven minute flight. I know I didn't.

For the rest of us there are three options: Try to beat Kendalfs time (it can be done, he used power to loop.) Option two is my own option, once I've got a Mini Scout that can fly. I'm gonna go out and do my thing and record it, and hope it's more than two seconds!

Option three? ;) I don't know. That's on you!

basslord1124

Master member
Considering this challenge I think it maybe July before I can fly. This pic is the 4 1/2 foot drift outside my backdoor. May have to count me out of this challenge. More snow expected the end of next week.

Slap some skis or floats on your Scout.

Man, my wife would be loving that snow. I hate that its kept you from flying. May have to make you an RC snow vehicle to pass the time.

basslord1124

Master member
That feeling is precisely what this challenge is about. That's how I feel when I fly, and I've got to admit that I love it. That's why I originally threw the challenge at mayan.

He's so methodical and technical and planning and working so hard for perfection. I wanted him to just feel what it's like to just build something and throw it in the air, without practice and see what happens. What happens is what you experienced. It's glorious!

He stepped out of his box and flew his second flight in stupid high winds for the Mini Scout. Some would say he threw it away. Nah. He got it. He understood the spirit of the challenge. It's stress relief! He crashed a little later than I, but you, my friend? You also embraced the challenge and you flew gloriously.

My kind words were not just words. You embraced the challenge and flew awesomely. You've earned the top spot. I've got an issue with my PowerPods I haven't figured out, so my Mini Scout cannot fly. As soon as I get I get it figured, I'm doing flight number three.

I fully intend to beat your time!

Thanks so much... Although I think at this point @Kendalf is the king. No biggie though, I'm glad someone got a good 6-7 minute flight on theirs. I'm still aiming for that.

I'm gonna tweak my thrust angle on my Scout. Which is weird I used the same thrust angle as on the plans but I bet something else is off and that's what's causing it. Also thinking of trying a better battery. I am using a cheapo Value Hobby 1000Mah battery that has a not so great IR. And it was like that when I got it. Its called GForce I think. Gonna pick up a same size Zippy battery (always had awesome luck out of Zippys) and see how that does. Also, next flights will be on warmer days. It was 40 degrees on that 2nd flight. Cold + lipos=short flights.

FastCrash45

Elite member

Man, my wife would be loving that snow. I hate that its kept you from flying. May have to make you an RC snow vehicle to pass the time.
The snow doesn't bother me too much becauar i am going to fly it. Im tired of waiting!! The winds are ruthless though 15-40mph all day and night. When it snows it blows!! 😎

FastCrash45

Elite member

Currently making front skis for my Stampede. I have to aquire some chain to make the tire chains. After that tests out I'll be designing a plow for it. I've got plans just need the banker to approve them.😁

Arcfyre

Elite member
Lol, why do I always fly this thing in the worst weather? Anyway here's video #2. Flight was recorded with a light onboard camera, and the winds were 15 MPH. The in flight footage is pretty shaky, especially compared to the videos I take with my Storch.

I made it to 4:15 before a gust of wind took me out of the sky. Wind blew me inverted at low altitude, and the knee jerk reaction was to pull up. Plane crashed on the ice. Minor damage but it was my last 6x4 prop.

P.S. sorry about the cheesy music. Had to do something to cover the obnoxious wind noise.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Lol, why do I always fly this thing in the worst weather? Anyway here's video #2. Flight was recorded with a light onboard camera, and the winds were 15 MPH. The in flight footage is pretty shaky, especially compared to the videos I take with my Storch.

I made it to 4:15 before a gust of wind took me out of the sky. Wind blew me inverted at low altitude, and the knee jerk reaction was to pull up. Plane crashed on the ice. Minor damage but it was my last 6x4 prop.

P.S. sorry about the cheesy music. Had to do something to cover the obnoxious wind noise.

OK! Got an FPV entry. I didn't see that coming. Arcfyre taking it to the next level! Awesome darn flight and some really great footage. You have shown us a whole new level of what the Mini Scout is capable of. It's a darn Mini Scout, not a camera platform! Your video was awesome. Thank you.

I've got launch at about 0:06 and a heart-rate increasing, on-the-ground at about 04:13. That's a four minute, seven-second flight time!

Updated LeaderBoard!

MiniScoutChallengeLB-7.jpg

Arcfyre, you may not have the best time, but you've definitely got the best footage. I thank you for taking it to the next level and showing us something wonderful and new. We all know about FPV. We obviously know about the Mini Scout. It would never have occurred to me to put the two together. Impressive is the word I've got. Impressive, indeed. Thank you!

Everyone? It is winter in many parts of our world. The Lipos just don't last as long in the cold as when it's warm. I want to keep this thread alive, but there is no time limit on it. If you feel it's just too darn cold to take your best chance, then don't. Wait until it's warmer, but drop a post here now and again, say it's too cold to compete, to keep the challenge alive.

BorisTheSpider

Electronics Details:

I can't say anything that wasn't already said, more eloquently. That was a fantastic flight and equally impressive camera work. It was amazing seeing three generations of your family enjoying flight together. It's what Flite Test is all about! You've set the bar and you could probably rest on that single flight but I hope some others challenge your time, if only to see even more out of you and others.

FastCrash45

Elite member

Fantastic job for the conditions, 15mph winds with a camera to boot!!! I'm done waiting. If it's 15mph or less I'm taking off tomorrow!! I put a light coat of vinyl sealer on it to help it live through the snow landings. You really got me pumped with the video!!