FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Did a quick balance check before applying the pain and made a strange discovery! I may have overdone the lightening. Currently having to source a much lighter battery of else I will have to tail mount the servos!

Have fun!

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Did a quick balance check before applying the pain and made a strange discovery! I may have overdone the lightning. Currently having to source a much lighter battery of else I will have to tail mount the servos!

Have fun!
You've got a very exciting take on this challenge. You were able to drop way more weight than I would have thought possible. A lighter battery as well? I can't wait to see your flight time! :)

basslord1124

Master member
After pondering on it for a while and looking at it closely, I think I am just going to make a new power pod for it. The motor angle was so messed up looking and the foam was so scrunched up that I was just putting band aids on it basically. So figure we will just start fresh.

Seeing as how my opportunities to try and fly it some more this weekend didn't happen, I figured to go ahead and try some power/wattmeter tests which I had never done on the Mini Scout. I really wasn't focused as much on watts (I think they were around 120-130W) but moreso on amps. With my 6x4 prop that I had been using I was pulling 11A. Not really worried about my ESC as it's rated for like 25A. But I noticed my motor got pretty hot with that setup. Don't know the max amps of the motor but I'd say I got close if it got that hot. Backed off to a 5x3 prop, pulling about 8-9 amps, and a nice barely warm motor even on max throttle for a while. Soooo.... looks like I'll be sticking with 5 prop and possibly squeezing some more flight time out of my battery. :D Hopefully it'll fly ok with a 5.

Arcfyre

Elite member
After pondering on it for a while and looking at it closely, I think I am just going to make a new power pod for it. The motor angle was so messed up looking and the foam was so scrunched up that I was just putting band aids on it basically. So figure we will just start fresh.

Seeing as how my opportunities to try and fly it some more this weekend didn't happen, I figured to go ahead and try some power/wattmeter tests which I had never done on the Mini Scout. I really wasn't focused as much on watts (I think they were around 120-130W) but moreso on amps. With my 6x4 prop that I had been using I was pulling 11A. Not really worried about my ESC as it's rated for like 25A. But I noticed my motor got pretty hot with that setup. Don't know the max amps of the motor but I'd say I got close if it got that hot. Backed off to a 5x3 prop, pulling about 8-9 amps, and a nice barely warm motor even on max throttle for a while. Soooo.... looks like I'll be sticking with 5 prop and possibly squeezing some more flight time out of my battery. :D Hopefully it'll fly ok with a 5.

What motor are you using?
I know you got a new battery, which one did you pick? I'm just curious. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You've got a very exciting take on this challenge. You were able to drop way more weight than I would have thought possible. A lighter battery as well? I can't wait to see your flight time! :)
Initially I was going to mount the servos as close to the CG point as possible and use a 850 3S on a 2205c 1400Kv with a HK 12A ESC and swing a 7x6 prop with a spinner, but that is not able to be balanced without serious tail lead!

New setup is with the servos mounted in the tail boom, (around half way between wing TE and tail LE where there is a bit of meat to take the servos without weakening the FB), a 800mA 2S battery, 2205c 1400Kv, HK 12A ESC, and a 8x4 prop, (with a 9x5 in reserve), and no spinner, (using the prop saver supplied on the motor). As well as moving the powerpod back into the fuselage by around 5mm, (as far as it will go)!

I decided not to paint because if it flies I will strip it out and give it to one of the newbies at the local club! He can paint it in his own colour scheme!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
She is now right to go!

I was able to fit the 32mm Spinner and decided to use the 9x5 prop from the outset!.

Weights: Empty: (No battery etc) 167 grams.
AUW: (Including Battery monitor/alarm) 223 grams.

Did a quick test of thrust and it wants to pull out of my hand vertically before I even hit full throttle. Actually the max thrust is a little scary even for me!

If the weather holds out I will maiden tomorrow morning local time!

Here is a pic ready to go!

DSCF0022.JPG

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This morning I took my old GoPro and the new $15 camera to the field to try and get video and I did but both were over 500MB and so without boobtube I cannot upload them. I did take a launch and landing screenshot from the GoPro. Sadly I hadn't reset the date/time stamp after running it flat but the take off time subtracted from the landing time gives the air/flying time.

I had intended to putt around just above stall and seek some form of record but then I realized my entry is not official:unsure:, there was another plane in the air and so a possible race existed:D, and finally that I really wanted to see what the performance at max thrust was like:whistle:, I putted around for about 1 minute and then the remainder of the time was done in vertical climbs, racing, and the usual loops and sharp turns.

Here are the clips taken from the GoPro video.

Launch (I told him to launch it flat and gently:rolleyes:)
Launch.jpg

Landing (left side of screenshot- still a foot off of the ground)
Landing.jpg

From the landing time stamp 09:46:44 and the take off time stamp 09:40:06 I calculate a flight time of 6 Minutes 48 Seconds.

I could have squeezed out almost double but the RED MIST got me!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Heck, yeah! THIS!!
I had intended to putt around just above stall and seek some form of record but then I realized my entry is not official:unsure:, there was another plane in the air and so a possible race existed:D, and finally that I really wanted to see what the performance at max thrust was like:whistle:, I putted around for about 1 minute and then the remainder of the time was done in vertical climbs, racing, and the usual loops and sharp turns.

You go, man! "I went out for a time challenge, and said Screw it! Let's have some fun!" What the heck is that? That's wonderful! :LOL::love: I do indeed, absolutely love it. I wish nothing more from any challenge, anytime. (Except maybe video. :rolleyes:;):p)

Updated LeaderBoard!!

MiniScoutChallengeLB-10.jpg

Hai-Lee has the new "Unofficial" lead with six minutes and forty-eight seconds, and he did it while getting stupid! Well done, Hai-Lee!:D

FastCrash45, that's a heck of a bar to topple. You got it in you? All you other so-called "experienced" pilots out there? :cool:;) Anybody else want to give it a whirl?

FastCrash45

Elite member
She is now right to go!

I was able to fit the 32mm Spinner and decided to use the 9x5 prop from the outset!.

Weights: Empty: (No battery etc) 167 grams.
AUW: (Including Battery monitor/alarm) 223 grams.

Did a quick test of thrust and it wants to pull out of my hand vertically before I even hit full throttle. Actually the max thrust is a little scary even for me!

If the weather holds out I will maiden tomorrow morning local time!

Here is a pic ready to go!

View attachment 126205

Have fun!
I love the spinner you put on. That weight is mind blowingly light too.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I got my second flight in for the unofficial official time. A whopping 12 seconds!! Woohoo! Stupid receiver went out and is now doa. I've been reading horror stories about the spektrum ar500 and I can now add my chapter to that book. That little plane is a tough cookie. Second crash and only a slight dimple in the nose which wont affect a thing. Getting my new lemon rx in a couple days just in time for mid to high 50's and less than 15mph winds. Im stoked!!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I got my second flight in for the unofficial official time. A whopping 12 seconds!! Woohoo! Stupid receiver went out and is now doa. I've been reading horror stories about the spektrum ar500 and I can now add my chapter to that book. That little plane is a tough cookie. Second crash and only a slight dimple in the nose which wont affect a thing. Getting my new lemon rx in a couple days just in time for mid to high 50's and less than 15mph winds. Im stoked!!!
A lot of people here swear by Spektrum but I tried and had many issues! Tried another cheap brand useless and then I bought a FlySky iA6 and my crashes almost ceased overnight. Would I return to Spektrum? - NO and not even if it was a christmas gift!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I love the spinner you put on. That weight is mind blowingly light too.
The weight was somewhat easy to achieve even though the FB I use here is heavier than that used by FT.

I removed all of the paper from the inside surfaces of the fuselage, (including the powerpod), and I then used a light 121Watt motor with lower KV so I could swing a larger prop. Next I went lighter on the servos and used 3.7 gram versions from HK. NO Servo extension leads, no linkage stoppers and no undercarriage. Added the spinner for a little extra nose weight and a bit of streamlining. I need a little nose weight because the 2S battery was a little light for the job and the 3S was too heavy!

Launched at half throttle and after a little porpoising, (unsure of the control sensitivity), I quickly got the hang of it. It was so stable that I bearly moved the sticks at all except for the extreme maneuvers of course.

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Oh Boy! You unofficial guys really want to fly! A bad receiver and a really tough plane. A new receiver incoming!! A whopping twelve second flight!

Updated LeaderBoard!!

MiniScoutChallengeLB-11.jpg

If your keeping track, this the 11th LeaderBoard! I've still got the record for shortest flight time. Twice. (I'm not sure if I should be proud of that, but what the heck, it was fun!) Arcfyre has the record for the best official flight time, and Hai-Lee has the record for best unofficial flight time.

It seems like FastCrash45 was trying to beat my record, but woefully, no. You've got to try really hard to crash in two seconds flat. Twice! Or just be stupid. It worked for me! :LOL:

Keep 'em coming ladies and gents! The Challenge is still open and open to everyone! Let's build, fly and have some fun! :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Oh Boy! You unofficial guys really want to fly! A bad receiver and a really tough plane. A new receiver incoming!! A whopping twelve second flight!

Updated LeaderBoard!!

View attachment 126348
If your keeping track, this the 11th LeaderBoard! I've still got the record for shortest flight time. Twice. (I'm not sure if I should be proud of that, but what the heck, it was fun!) Arcfyre has the record for the best official flight time, and Hai-Lee has the record for best unofficial flight time.

It seems like FastCrash45 was trying to beat my record, but woefully, no. You've got to try really hard to crash in two seconds flat. Twice! Or just be stupid. It worked for me! :LOL:

Keep 'em coming ladies and gents! The Challenge is still open and open to everyone! Let's build, fly and have some fun! :)

I am expecting you to do a last minute long duration flight. You just need to keep both the weight and the control throws down and let the model what it was designed for! My total stick time in my 6+ minutes would have been less that 30 seconds the rest of the time I was watching it fly in the attitude I had placed it! Trick to fly really is do as little as is possible!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am expecting you to do a last minute long duration flight. You just need to keep both the weight and the control throws down and let the model what it was designed for! My total stick time in my 6+ minutes would have been less that 30 seconds the rest of the time I was watching it fly in the attitude I had placed it! Trick to fly really is do as little as is possible!

Have fun!
My mate, you don't know me as well as you think you do. I'm going to get stupid with it! :p I threw the Challenge out to mayan, just because I knew we were both going to crash it really quick. The Challenge was to see who crashed it less quickly.

Then mayan opened the challenge to the whole Family, and here we are. We've got official flights, unofficial flights and everyone just doing they're darn best to maximize the flight time of the Mini Scout. How cool is that? :)

I'm currently building the TT fuse to complete the Get Stupid challenge, just because it was easiest and quickest.

The next is a totally rebuilt Mini Scout. SpeedBuild kit. From the ground up, rebuilt. Then I'm going to get stupid with it and see how long I can fly! Whooots! Darn, but doesn't that sound like fun!:D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My mate, you don't know me as well as you think you do. I'm going to get stupid with it! :p I threw the Challenge out to mayan, just because I knew we were both going to crash it really quick. The Challenge was to see who crashed it less quickly.

Then mayan opened the challenge to the whole Family, and here we are. We've got official flights, unofficial flights and everyone just doing they're darn best to maximize the flight time of the Mini Scout. How cool is that? :)

I'm currently building the TT fuse to complete the Get Stupid challenge, just because it was easiest and quickest.

The next is a totally rebuilt Mini Scout. SpeedBuild kit. From the ground up, rebuilt. Then I'm going to get stupid with it and see how long I can fly! Whooots! Darn, but doesn't that sound like fun!:D
Good luck with the new mini scout! If your balance can cope you could remove the unnecessary fuselage internal paper to give a more nimble and maneuverable ship.

As for my entry it will only be possible for me to do one remaining flight because after that I will not own it:p.

Have fun!